PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installing staroffice 8

mauperu
April 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hello!
Would you please help me in installing staroffice 8 (source code of 1992 year)?
I tried to use the readme file that says to use alien as a command but I did not manage it.
What I have to do?

coffeecat
April 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Would you please help me in installing staroffice 8 (source code of 1992 year)?
I tried to use the readme file that says to use alien as a command but I did not manage it.

Are you sure you mean 1992? Not 2002? Why do you want to install an old version of StarOffice when OpenOffice will do almost everything that StarOffice will do?

Anyway, if you are trying to use the alien command and you've obtained source code (which is what you say), alien won't work. Alien is for converting other pre-compiled binary packages into Debian packages. So - what did you download and where did you get it from? Post a link if you can. Even if you managed to convert it or compile it, you'll almost certainly find that an old version of an app will depend on obsolete libraries that are not in an up-to-date install of Kubuntu.

Perhaps you could post more details of what you are trying to achieve.

mauperu
April 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Be cause I tried Openoffice and it does 'nt work doing charts. I am interested in making very good charts with, for example the funcions about scales Y functions (as grid and changing minimum and maximum value, using loarithmic scale etcetera).