PDA

View Full Version : Poll:If you quit using Ubuntu, Would you go to Mac or Windows?

JoeyF
April 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
Why/Why not?.

Just trying to get some Linux users opinions on Mac. I'm buying one next year. Still will be using Linux in a VM. But i still prefer Linux over Windows.

Thanks.

*Edit/Correction:I'm talking about if you quit Linux completely and had to use Windows or OS X. Not talking about the price and Hardware. Just the OS itself.

beastrace91
April 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Windows for sure. As much as I dislike it - I really don't care for OSX any more. Beyond this I care much more for my pocket book and Windows hardware and the operating system are both less expensive than their Apple counter parts.

~Jeff

lisati
April 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Probably Windows: the three x86 machines in my current collection came with Windows preinstalled, and my budget doesn't currently allow me to get a machine from the Apple family.

phrostbyte
April 2nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
If I quit Ubuntu I can pick from the 500+ other distros out there. :p

jrusso2
April 2nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
OS X I can do most of the things I can do with Linux.

chappajar
April 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM

Yeah, many free(as in beer, and often also as in speech) options available before you need to consider paid.

NightwishFan
April 2nd, 2010, 06:14 AM
I think I would switch to Debian or Fedora, but if I could not use Linux I might give OpenSolaris a go. If I had no choice between Mac or Windows I would use a Mac.

Stainesy
April 2nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Debian for me.

venator260
April 2nd, 2010, 06:37 AM
If I had to quit Ubuntu, i would just go with Debian.

If I had to do what I think you are asking, I would go with Windows. That would mean getting rid of my laptop, as it's just not worth buying an XP license and a USB CD drive that the computer will read during startup.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
Fedora...or Windows since I'm running it also.

Psumi
April 2nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
No. I'd go to Debian; which I already have.

chappajar
April 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM

Psumi, perhaps you could write that you use Debian in your sig, to save your fingers. You do seem to have to type it out quite a bit.

eksasol
April 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Well I am using Windows on rare occasions, though I don't plan to spent too much money on Microsoft softwares. If I can't use linux anymore (which is a horrifying thought) , I might go first go to BSD.

If I can only choose between Windows and Apple, the choice is obviously Windows. Why would I pay more for less and have my life in complete control and restricted to do anything? Or fund Apple so they can use illegitimate patents as a way to destroy open source competition.

Windows for sure. As much as I dislike it - I really don't care for OSX any more. Beyond this I care much more for my pocket book and Windows hardware and the operating system are both less expensive than their Apple counter parts.
~Jeff Despite what Steve Jobs say, it is possible to install Mac on many x86 Intel computers, he just makes it illegal for non-Apple computer to hold a monopoly.

hessiess
April 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
OSX: Maby if I had a load of spare cash lying around.

Windows: No, because it is awful.

Warpnow
April 2nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
I'd use one of the other hundreds of distros. If all OSs besides those two were gone from the world? Windows. Yes, its less open source than OSX, but what freedom I lose in software, I gain in freedom to use what hardware I want. I would shoot myself in the head before spening $1,000 on a "basic" mac. If I spend $1,000 on a computer it better be a quad core beast with multiple terabyte hard drives in raid.

juancarlospaco
April 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
✔BSD

✗ Window nevar

Chronon
April 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
I would probably try some of the BSDs or OpenSolaris. Because of my hardware I can't legitimately use OSX. I would be forced to use Windows if none of my other options worked on this hardware.

RiceMonster
April 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
I'd just keep using Fedora, Arch and Windows 7.

If you mean quit using Linux, it would probably be Windows. Mac OSX is tempting though, because you get the UNIX environment. I'm not fond of the layout though. I also doubt I'd use *BSD on a desktop.

HermanAB
April 2nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
I use Ubuntu for fun, Mandriva for work and Scientific Linux for systems I sell to third parties.

Mandriva has very good wizards and in a business setting, time is money. Scientific doesn't have trademark problems like all other versions of Linux and explicitly allows resale without requiring any modifications, so that keeps the business lawyers happy.

Soooo, if I have to quit Ubuntu, it won't make much difference. I just won't have fun anymore.

ronnielsen1
April 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
If I quit Ubuntu I can pick from the 500+ other distros out there.

Ubuntu wasn't there when I started. Ditto

Zoot7
April 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
I'd just keep on using Debian and Slackware occasionally on the side.
As for quitting Linux totally, I'd just go back to Windows (XP & 7) entirely. If OSX wasn't tied to the ridiculously pricey Apple hardware I'd give it consideration.

Psumi, perhaps you could write that you use Debian in your sig, to save your fingers. You do seem to have to type it out quite a bit.

http://i40.tinypic.com/xngkye.png

;)

empty_spaces
April 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
If I had to choose between Windows and Mac, definitely Windows.
Because
1) Value for money
2) Function over form
3) Although I haven't really used Macs much, I think Windows is much more customizable than OSX. I usually get the impression that Mac users try to justify the lack of customizability by saying "it's so good already, why would I need to change it?"

Most likely though, I would probably go with Mandriva/Fedora. Haven't tried out Debian yet.

beetleman64
April 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Money no object, I would go to Mac. However, we live in the real world so to save myself from having to buy a new computer I would probably go back to windows.

parn
April 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
If I cant find some other distros... which is impossible :P (Arch most likely)

I will go for Windows 7 (it is actually pretty good.. for Windows)

Mac - NEVER... I dont need Steve telling me how should I hold my mouse and 10 million other proper ways I should interact with my property.

Mac OS X is the total opposite of Linux in spirit! It is "imposive" beyond software/hardware!

It is unthinkable that one who truly enjoys the freedom of linux to even consider such a rigid thing.

WannabeFantasma
April 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Windows -> it's cheaper + I allready have it :)

nc-kane
April 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Well, money no object, I'd try a mac. Because I haven't used a mac really since college back in '92. The university's network was run on macs.

Dragonbite
April 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Actually.. that's a good question.

I first thought I would go to Windows because of the familiarity with the interface and Office apps (between work and pre-Linux) plus that I am programming in .NET at work so if I wanted to continue that at home (without using the work computer), I would need Windows.

I probably would still go with Windows just because it is more familiar and widely used, but the certainty of going to Windows is not as 100% after thinking about it.

Bluesan
April 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
I dual boot Windows 7, and though Linux is my primary OS, I like it a lot. I would stick with Windows.

MrNatewood
April 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'd probably use PCBSD if there was no linux.
Or Debian GNU/kfreebsd. I would say OpenSolaris but it's dead now.
If linux ceases to exist the community will just move to some other kernel/OS and it will soon become just as good, some say BSD already is.

But more to the question, I'd use windows over osx,
The impression I got from the little I used OSX is that it's very restrictive in what it allows the user to do.

aklo
April 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
windows because everything just works...

I don't have to care about whether a software has a mac version...

Also windows 7 interface is just so cool looking.

Dragonbite
April 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
When you get down to it, it's all about the Apps! So I don't see it as having a big change. The apps I'm used to in Linux are mostly cross-platform already.
OpenOffice
Gimp
Inkscape
Pidgin
NetBeans
Firefox
Thunderbird

The advantage is that I would then have access to proprietary titles that are either better, or covers what there is not an open source equivalent (which I haven't thought of one yet).

shebaw
April 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
mac os x is the total opposite of linux in spirit! It is "imposive" beyond software/hardware!

It is unthinkable that one who truly enjoys the freedom of linux to even consider such a rigid thing.

+1

beastrace91
April 2nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
*Edit/Correction:I'm talking about if you quit Linux completely and had to use Windows or OS X. Not taking in the price of a Mac or the Hardware.*

Thats flawed logic. The cost of the product is a LARGE factor for most people when it comes to choosing one over the other ;)

That being said - Windows 7 is MUCH better than OSX IMO

~Jeff

helliewm
April 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
BSD it works on my hardware.

Helen

donkyhotay
April 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
If I couldn't use linux at all I'd probably use BSD, opensolaris, plan9... basically any other FOSS OS. Now if I absolutely had to choose between windows and osX I'd go windows. Both are proprietary but windows at least has the one single advantage of being "compatible with just about everything". osX seems to me like the worst of both windows and linux. With osX you get none of the advantage of FOSS and you're still not compatible with most of the rest of the world.

Ric_NYC
April 2nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Windows. I don't like the Mac "environment"... There's a mix of overpriced stuff, "trendy", "tres chic" behavior.

My opinion.

MaxIBoy
April 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
If I had to quit Ubuntu, I'd switch entirely to Debian (which is already my primary OS anyway, Mint is purely a spare.)

If I had to quit Linux altogether, I'd use either Debian/kFreeBSD or Nexenta.

If I had to quit Linux and Ubuntu, that would narrow it down to Debian/kFreeBSD.

If I had to quit any OS which is capable of running on top of the Linux kernel, I'd go for PCBSD.

I can do this all day.

RiceMonster
April 2nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Mac OS X is the total opposite of Linux in spirit! It is "imposive" beyond software/hardware!

Yeah, TOTALLY unthinkable! How can anyone POSSIBLY think differently than you?

mamamia88
April 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
windows at least that way i can get a more powerful gaming rig for same price

samalex
April 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Actually around 2004 I did leave Linux on my desktop for OSX, and in 2005 I did the same on my laptop. I still had Linux on my home server, but I used OSX for everything else.

I retired my PowerMac G4 Desktop computer a few years ago and started using my iBook full time... and it was retired last year being replaced by a System76 laptop running Ubuntu. A big reason for leaving OSX was the cost, but also working with Ubuntu in VirtualBox I enjoyed seeing how mature it had grown.

If I had to drop Linux I would move back to OSX for sure. I use Windows at work, and under the controlled environment of a corporate network it's good, but I wouldn't want to run it as the primary OS on my personal computer.

Sam

dwarfolo
April 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Slackware ... my love since 1993!
Then Gento or perhaps BSD.

If I were forced to choose with chains and whippings, then absolutely Mac.

Khakilang
April 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Well there is always Debian or Fedora or Open Suse or Mandriva or Linux Mint or .....

sudoer541
April 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Microsoft windows + I love windows 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

undecim
April 2nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
another linux distro

or BSD

or Haiku

or MenuetOS

or GNU Hurd

Anything free as in speech.

NightwishFan
April 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
I plan on giving Debian/Hurd a try if more work is done. I could not get it (or debian bsd) to install, even in virtualbox.

TheNerdAL
April 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
You never said if I could go to another distro. :P I would go for Linux Mint, lol. But if I quit using any Linux distros, I would not go for Windows at all. I hate Windows. I would just get a Mac. :D

haddog
April 2nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
1. Another distro

2. Windows 7

beastrace91
April 2nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
or Haiku

I'm glad I had finished my drink before reading this. You are joking right? Haiku is a cute idea but is nowhere near usable at it's current stage...

~Jeff

MasterNetra
April 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
Yea, neither, probably move to PCLinuxOS or Mandriva.

Dark Aspect
April 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM

+1

I am not really that big on Ubuntu anymore, but I still love Linux. I still keep an Ubuntu live cd around though because having a full gnome desktop as a livecd is nice for testing/debugging.

RandomJoe
April 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Choosing between just the two, I'd go Mac (in fact, I'm using OS X on a MBP right now) but Win 7 would probably be okay. Don't have it at work yet, but what I've seen is okay. I only use OS X for the MBP, though. Prefer Linux everywhere else.

I find the negative comments about Mac / OS X humorous...

I hear the "too expensive" mantra everywhere, but when I started looking for a laptop last fall by the time I had comparison-shopped everything to death the MBP price was right in line with everything else - Dell's was higher.

I also have a couple Mac Minis (running Linux) and yeah, I can find cheaper "similar" products but for those I was most interested in power consumption. The cheaper options used 2-3x the power, the lower-power options were higher cost or had a very punky processor.

The line I don't know about is Apple's desktop kit. Those prices do seem high, but I've never comparison shopped them - just not interested.

As for Steve telling me how to use the mouse, what? I don't even use an Apple mouse! (Trackball for me, thanks.) Yeah, one button vs two on the trackpad but then I don't even use the buttons on my Windows laptop at work - one- or two-finger taps is much nicer.

Heck, if it weren't for the separated menubar at the top of the screen (the one thing in OS X I really don't care for) I could generally forget I'm not even using Linux. I'm still running all the same apps I did before, and most commands work the same/similar in the terminal window.

NightwishFan
April 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
I agree, I do find Macs interesting, however I doubt the GNU project would die even if Linux did, so I would stick with them.

PC_load_letter
April 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I don't think I'll ever quit using Linux, but if I have to, I'll probably use a Mac. Out of personal experience with the customer support of Microsoft, I took a vow not to use any of their PC products ever.

Macs on the other hand don't look too bad, although I have major issues with the mouse and the keyboard, and the interface in general. Although I prefer Gnome over KDE as a personal preference, I was never comfortable with the GUI of the Mac OSX.

murderslastcrow
April 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
I'd choose the Mac, since eBay macbooks are fairly cheap, and the only reason I find Netbooks and Nettops appealing is their ability to run Linux in the first place.

I mean, OS X has a few extra applications over Linux, and I guess I could still use Fink even though Linux apparently doesn't exist anymore? Would the repositories still be around? XD

I wouldn't use iTunes for the life of me, though. And I'd hate how trapped I felt in the little-customizable UI. But I guess I lived with Windows for a while and it was pretty much the same.

I would want the speed, security, and stability of OS X, regardless of the lack of drivers. I can use my PS3 for gaming.

It's important to recognize that, without Linux, a lot of the technology that led to OSX and the PS3 wouldn't EXIST. So I'm guessing this is a sudden unexistence of Linux.

sxmaxchine
April 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
windows. because i dont like apple, they look nice but there products are not worth what they cost. and i prefer microsoft to apple.

gzarkadas
April 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
Never; the terms of use are simply unacceptable.

I like to be in control of the things I have paid for and legally own, as it is the norm in all other aspects of our lives and not subject to unattended regulation of my computer's hardware, software and (my) content by third parties.

Just imagine if the terms of the EULAs accompanying those software were applied to things with established presence in our lives such as cars: Who wants a car that:

upon delivery (after you have given your hard-earned money) the seller informs you that what you got is simply the right to use it :-\"(just like when you rent one) and will be revoked the first moment you will fail to comply with the terms,
only one has the right to drive it,
you have no right to make modifications (don't you put a fridge in the baggage compartment, ever![-X),
has to formally be re-verified for compliance to the vendor's "standards" after each visit to the repair shop (gee, is this still your car, or you try to be a :---)?),
may (and will) perform without notice checks and actions on installed equipment (say a gps or a car-stereo in our case) and passengers (the equivalent of content) that may even cause the equipment or the car to stop functioning (I don't know about the passenger's fate :-k),
imposes restrictions on who and what you can carry with it (hey, I stopped in the middle of the desert because you put in a non-approved stone; bud luck if you die from thirst...:mrgreen:)
enforces policies they have never been explicitly presented to you so that you can accept or reject them,
..., etc, etc.

Well, nobody! And although to some this analogy may seem as over-emphasizing, it is actually not IMHO; take some time to read this small essay (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html) (and the note at the end) and decide yourselves.

Thus, if I ever stop using Ubuntu, I will switch to another free software distribution such as gNewSense (http://www.gnewsense.org/), Debian or any other then available.

dragos240
April 3rd, 2010, 12:34 AM
No. I use gentoo.

undecim
April 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
I'm glad I had finished my drink before reading this. You are joking right? Haiku is a cute idea but is nowhere near usable at it's current stage...

~Jeff

Neither is MenuetOS or GNU Hurd

The point that I was trying to make is I would rather have a computer that's free and worthless, than one that's useful, but tied down.

Jekshadow
April 3rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
I would use Fedora.

If you are referring to GNU/Linux in general, I would use BSD instead.

Lightstar
April 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
if I had to choose between windows pc or mac, I'd go with windows.
Only because of video games.

Yvan300
April 3rd, 2010, 04:03 AM
Apple is too expensive, so i would have to settle with *******!

aldld
April 3rd, 2010, 04:49 AM
I would probably go with Mac OS X, as I've always wanted to try a Mac. Plus it's Unix, too!

And anyway, I've already been too pissed off annoyed by Windows to ever go back.

themarker0
April 3rd, 2010, 04:52 AM
I would go to Unix :D

JDShu
April 3rd, 2010, 05:59 AM
Assuming Mac and Windows are the only choices, probably Windows. I'm not sure what the newer Macs are like, but the one I use at work grates on my nerves. I like what the Function keys do but the interface as a whole is annoying.

doorknob60
April 3rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Windows, unless OSX worked on my computer :P And when you say "quit using Ubuntu" I assume that means quit using Linux. Also I'd try out some BSDs and other stuff before settling on anything else.

LookTJ
April 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
This. But if Ubuntu was the only Linux distribution available, I'll go FreeBSD. But if that's not a choice, (choice is entirely based on the quality of programs, not numbers, released) OS X I suppose.

handy
April 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
On retiring from being a windows tech' I dumped windows, went to Debian for a fortnight, discovered Ubuntu, where I stayed for a good year.

Then on box.2. I started distro & BSD hoping, eventually I bought an iMac, don't like OS X, much, so I was dual booting Ubuntu, & then Arch, which I've been very happily using for over 2 years now, & is also where I expect I'll happily stay until something unexpected happens. :)

If my brain fails me, & I can no longer deal with Linux, it is nice to know that OS X, is available, as you can be half brain dead & still use OS X...

chessnerd
April 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
I would prefer Windows quite honestly. I'm using Windows 7 right now and it's working just fine. So if I was to leave Ubuntu and Linux behind, I would go back to Windows.

Honestly, I never left Windows. I just moved towards Linux. It won me over on its own merits, not because of Windows (alleged) flaws.

The Mac OS, however, has regularly driven me away. The dock is non-intuitive, there were regular issues on the eMacs at my high-school (crashed on occasion, took forever to load programs, had AppleWorks, etc.), and it doesn't have the level of application support that Windows does.

Here are some specific Mac OS X fails:
* Mac OS X 10.3 on eMac, crashed when using Firefox on several occasions, no mouse movement, hard boot required.
* Mac OS X 10.3 on eMac, crashed when trying to print, hard boot required, lost file data.
* Mac OS X 10.6 on Macbook Pro, friend couldn't delete an item in his trash, I had to remove it for him via the command-line with "rm".

The last one still confuses me, but it impressed my friend that I was able to fix his problem, so that's a bonus. :p

smellyman
April 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Mac all the way. I bought a Macbook Pro because I was absolutely sick of Windows. I had no Idea an OS could be sooooo much better than Windows. Using Mac OS X made me then give Linux a shot because I wondered if it was a lot better than Mac!

Mac's make as close to a perfect laptop that exists today. No need for a Mac Desktop now though. Linux for the desktop and Mac for the laptop for me.

I may never go Windows again.

NCLI
April 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Windows. Apple is slowly turning into Big Brother. It hasn't affected their desktops and laptops much yet, but I'm willing to bet my left kidney that it will in the near future.

At least Windows doesn't lock me in.

purgatori
April 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
No, I'd use BSD or Solaris or some other alternative first. If none of those were available, I'd use Windows. If there was no other operating system on the planet, I suppose I'd use OSX.

EarthMind
April 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Windows without a doubt. I've never had any interest in Mac and will never will, for me it's either Linux or Windows.

handy
April 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Windows. Apple is slowly turning into Big Brother. It hasn't affected their desktops and laptops much yet, but I'm willing to bet my left kidney that it will in the near future.

At least Windows doesn't lock me in.

There is one BIG difference between MS & Apple. Apple is primarily a hardware manufacturer that also makes systems to run on their hardware.

MS, are a software manufacturer that produces systems & software to run on hardware manufactured by others.

I doubt that Apple have bought up as many patents as MS either.

mutantstargoat
April 4th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Mac. Given that you can run fluxbox (or gnome or kde or whatever) you probably wouldn't even notice you weren't using linux.

Primefalcon
April 4th, 2010, 04:40 AM
If I quit Ubuntu I'd go over to mint which is Ubuntu based........

TBH I am not that knowledgeable of Windows systems these days, so if I was forced to quit Linux I'd probably go somewhere else that had the similar tools that could also run on the PC architecture since the macs are so damm closed and expensive.... So I'd probably end up trying either open or free BSD or something

tekkidd
April 4th, 2010, 04:43 AM
windows. when i am using osx i feel like im not in control

Rubi1200
May 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
I would look for another Linux distro. Even though I have only been using Ubuntu for about a month I have fallen in love with Linux. I am currently reading everything I can about Linux and Unix in general in order to increase my knowledge.

Rususeruru
May 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Windows. I prefer VS over XCode. I'm not proficient enough at Vim or Emacs to use either lol
Not trying to start a flame war here but I definitely feel like MS is more responsive to customer wants and needs than Apple.

Dayofswords
May 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
if mac or windows:
windows, i like it 100000000x better than a mac, plus i can actually afford windows :P

if we are including other distros:
debian

chriswyatt
May 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Agree with above poster, I'm never been overly impressed with Mac / OSX, eye-candy over functionality, and rubbish mice.

Random_Dude
May 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Windows.

I still use it, so it only makes sense.

Viva
May 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
another linux distro

YuiDaoren
May 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
If I had to choose between MacOS or Windows I'd choose an abacus.

If my choices were Mac, Win or Death... Probably Mac. Only because it's got a little *nix in it. I'd whine a lot afterward, though. I'd be downright insufferable. So, don't make me leave my Linux kernel based OS! PLEEEZZ!

chriswyatt
May 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Now if the question was "if you had to leave Linux" I'd probably switch to BSD.

Johnsie
May 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Windows... I don't like all the Apple spam on the Internet.

Bölvağur
May 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
no I'd go from Ubuntu to Arch. I got it installed but havent had time to get comfortable.

Manaan
May 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
I know this is a really stupid way of choosing an operating system, but Mac users seem so arrogant to me. I would choose it if it over Windows if it weren't for that since it's so similar to Linux.

wojox
May 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
I dual boot Fedora12 so I guess that would be my new favorite.

GSF1200S
May 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Nope- Id use BSD. BSD doesnt exist? Maybe then Id consider Mac OSX; Id go to the Mac store and buy OSX, and then frankenmac it on to my desktop.

GSF1200S
May 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
I dual boot Fedora12 so I guess that would be my new favorite.

Oh man, I feel dumb.. If we can still use Linux distros in this hypothetical, Id use Arch (which I use with Ubuntu now anyways). Above answer stands if Linux disappeared from the earth.

ibuclaw
May 3rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'd use ReactOS dual-booted with Haiku. :)

Penguin Guy
May 3rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Mac. No question about it; it's superior. Anyway, where's the poll?

MacUntu
May 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'd choose Windows without hesitation. I'll never buy an Apple-PC.

jomiolto
May 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Neither. There are plenty of others to choose from. I'm actually using Debian at the moment, so I have quit using Ubuntu (at least temporarily). Even without the plethora of Linux distributions, there are still BSDs and even OpenSolaris.

If all the open source operating systems mysteriously disappeared overnight, I think I'd rather lock myself in a room with computer, until I had written my own operating system, than use either Mac OS X or Windows ;)

jheaton5
May 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
To the OP: I don't like either of your choices. I will never use windows again. I have never been a mac fan and Steve Jobs is sealing that opinion. What I fear most is MS using FUD to get companies to license their open software through them, presumably to avoid a future lawsuit. I would hate to lose the GNU/Linux option.

98cwitr
May 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Only reason I would go back to Windows would be for work use. More seamless RDP from Citrix. I do like Windows 7. I would probably go back to Windows, I am more anti-Apple than anti-MS believe it or not, and I fully agree with what tekkidd said at the top of the page.

BrokenKingpin
May 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I will NEVER use a Mac. I would rather use Windows 3.1.

sydbat
May 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
If the only choice is Apple or Microsoft, I could live without a computer. I lived without them being integral to my life for nearly 30 years (before getting my IT degree and forcing it upon myself), so I could do without one if I could only choose Apple or Microsoft.

Mark Phelps
May 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Two comments ...

First of all, would go to Windows. Already have dual-boot machines, so that wouldn't cost me anything. But if I had to buy a new machine, a Win7 box is still economically a better deal than an Apple equivalent -- and since I don't use my machine for mostly multimedia authoring work, can not see spending the extra money for an Apple box.

Second, you really should have started a poll so you could constrain the choices. You're getting a lot of non-Windows, non-Apple choices -- which is what I would expect this this forum. I would have made the choices MS Windows, Apple, other Linux distro, other non-Linux.

cap10Ibraim
May 3rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Windows , because it's my main OS and easily cracked,

Shakz
May 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Lol....lotta these folks arnt answering the question. If Ubuntu was the only nix OS in the world and all the sudden wasn't an option.....
I would sell an organ and get a mac. I am not going back to windows.

aysiu
May 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Seemed weird to me to have the word poll in the thread subject without an actual poll. So I added one.

finny388
September 14th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I'm disappointed in all the choices; I thought you were putting us on the spot.;)

Of course I'd go to another distro, prob mint (if that counts as not ubuntu), else try out fedora

But forced out of linux I'd choose Windows in a heartbeat.

Apple's 1984 commercial depicting IBM as big brother has become SO ironic. Apple is so controlling (and expensive), I could never go that way.

Rasa1111
September 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I'd go to Debian or Fedora.

But I dont think ill ever quit using Ubuntu. lol

Austin25
September 14th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Maybe Mint or SLAX. Quite possibly Debian.

Off Topic
September 14th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Dont know where I would go.

kamaboko
September 14th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Well since I've not stopped using Windows, I'd continue to use MS and play around with some other Linux distro.

TriBlox6432
September 14th, 2010, 04:12 AM
That depends. Probably Windows. All my life I've wanted Mac, but I think Windows would be better. Mostly because it's what 90% of the world uses. But again, this is only if I had to give up Ubuntu, which wouldn't happen unless y'know it just died.

Frogs Hair
September 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I have windows , but if Ubuntu was no more I would try other Linux distro's . I plan to put Peppermint on a laptop and have a disc. I am strangely curious about CentOS and read a little about it.

icechen1
September 14th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Windows is a better choice than Apple's restrictive Mac.

Rasa1111
September 14th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Windows is a better choice than Apple's restrictive Mac.

lol yeah.
If I had no other choice, but apple or windows..
i wouldnt go with apple. lol
(and i detest MS)..

ohh man... just the thought..
of having to use either of them..
Maybe I would go 'back to the land'..
and just stop using computers altogether. lol

I think the only thing that stops me from going "grizzly adams"
is my computer(s).
If I didnt need electricity for that I could handle going off the grid. lol

Unless i become monetarily 'rich' and am able to generate my own electricity, sufficiently. lol

damn computers...
like chains! lol :P
<3

Duncan J Murray
September 14th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know what I'd do if I _had_ to use something apart from Linux, but then maybe I would use Amiga OS.

Anyone considered using Amiga OS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3q2wFIn6k

Duncan

andymorton
September 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I can't imagine myself ever quitting Ubuntu but if I did I'd use another Linux distro. Probably either Linux Mint or Open Suse.

Sporkman
September 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM
MacOSX is a solid Unix OS that works well on the hardware it's installed on.

I'd have to go with that if I were forced to go non-Linux.

BrokenKingpin
September 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I would go to a different Linux distribution for sure. I would most likely go to SuSE, and if that didn't work out I would go to Debian, or a Debian based system (I like my apt).

EDIT: If I was forced to stop using Linux altogether I would go to Windows, and dual boot with BSD. I would stop using computers if I was forced to go to Mac.

TNT1
September 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Why would I quit ubuntu? Or linux?

TNT1
September 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
MacOSX is a solid Unix OS that works well on the hardware it's installed on.

(ahem... it works perfectly well on hardware it isn't installed (hackingtoshed) onto...)

Dragonbite
September 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I think this poll would have been more interesting if it did not include Linux (other distros) at all. e.g.
Windows
OS X
iOS (iPhone,iPad)
Solaris
Android (yes, it is "technically" linux)
BSD
Amiga
BeOS
None, become a farmer ;)

Ozor Mox
September 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'd probably go to Debian. It'd take a lot to make me fully go back to Windows I think, if it would ever happen. Macs are in my opinion overpriced and overrated. As for making me go to a dual boot with Windows, that'll probably take Civilization V :D

mart007
September 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Just bought myself a new 27" iMac, and am very impressed. I've still got my Ubuntu box, and I'll keep using it - love them both.

ubunterooster
September 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I would go to still another kind of operating system 1 1.09% I'm the only one :(

I think this poll would have been more interesting if it did not include Linux (other distros) at all. e.g.
Android (yes, it is "technically" Linux)
None, become a farmer ;)

Currently I've been using Droid a lot and don't count it as Linux.

And I would go to ReactOS

TNT1
September 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
None, become a farmer ;)

Um... A lot of my customers only know me as a farmer... I think I do IT cr@p as a hobby more than a business... Peas and radishes keep me in the black.

bouncingwilf
September 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
At my age I'd say stuff the lot of 'em and go fishing!

bouncingwilf

kaldor
September 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Already have quit using Ubuntu on the desktop. Still use it on a server though.

If I had to quit Ubuntu, I'd go to another distro such as Mint/LMDE, openSUSE or Debian.

If I had to quit Linux, I'd go on to OS X (I already have one Mac).

If I had to replace Linux on my current Linux-powered machines, I'd use BSD or something.

Dustin2128
September 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
+9001 to this
But if I quit using GNU/Linux completely (though that will likely never happen), I'd most likely swap to a BSD. Solid operating systems, linux binary compatibility, but not quite as well supported yet and frankly I don't like their licensing ;P

witeshark17
September 15th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I would go to OS X as I use it on the side now. But I'm confident that Ubuntu will become everything we hope it will; it's well on the way :KS

rjbl
September 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
GEORGE 4. What else?

rjbl