PDA

View Full Version : Can someone confirm that this power supply will work?

thegreenblob
April 1st, 2010, 09:30 PM
Can someone confirm that this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

will work with this PC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103190

I want to upgrade my PSU so I can upgrade my video card. (Current PSU is 250W)

And not sure if April Fools was the right day to ask, but please no April Fools jokes, lol. I don't want to waste $65 :P

And also how hard is it to upgrade a PSU? I've never installed/upgraded one before. lol

cariboo
April 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM
It's pretty simple to replace a power supply, undo 4 screws, disconnect all the plugs, remove power supply. To install do the reverse.

The only problem you may have is physical size, make sure there is enough room inside the case for the new power supply.

cascade9
April 1st, 2010, 10:22 PM
It will work (and fit, that case has enough room for it). 550watts is overkill for that system though...

Cracauer
April 1st, 2010, 10:29 PM
The photos show a full size PSU in the computer and this PSU is not an extra long PSU, so it'll work.

Getting a good quality PSU is never a bad idea. Don't be afraid of "overkill". A PSU blowing up can kill all your components, including your harddrive. Or even if not it can make your system unstable and hence silently scramble the contents of your filesystem.

And depending on what kind of graphics card we are talking about 550W that actually delivers 550W might be required. An el-cheapo "550W" will deliver maybe 300W in a contiguous manner, if anything. It's like those music systems where you can buy a "500 W" system for $39.99 at "Best" Buy but somehow a professional 500 Watts power amp for a P.A. system costs $700.

Doctor Mike
April 1st, 2010, 10:31 PM
The easiest way to handle any power supply is a one to one replacement. First be sure your power supply is a match Votlt Amps to the one you are replacing + higher KW if needed. Assuming you are doing your homework match each plug to the current power sys and see if it makes sense to you. If it does problem solved. Do not open the old or new power supply, that would be bad... Lots of stored voltage...

oleink
April 1st, 2010, 10:34 PM
Should

cascade9
April 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM
Even if it is extra long, it will still work- there is nothing but air from the end of the PSU to the DVD drive/5.25'' cage.

I agree in some ways Cracauer- getting a quality PSU is much better than getting a 'yum-cha' PSU. (generic junk). But going to overkill can actually hurt you- the newer power supplies are designed to be high efficiency, but they only achive that when they are under some load (normally over 20% load). If you run under that, you wont hurt anything, but you are usign more power than you need to.

I think from all the things I've read and seen that with any non x 2 GPU video card (ie no GTX 295 cards) you will never go over 350watts draw on that system. Its more likely to top out at about 200watts, max. see here-

http://www.www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/system-wattage_6.html

BTW, that is a great article on power consumption, and worth reading from page 1 if anyone is interested in the subject.

*edit- stuffed my link up.....again...fixed now, sorry about that.

thegreenblob
April 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Alright, thanks guys.

gordintoronto
April 2nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
Here's a simple trick when replacing a power supply: have paper and pen handy, and as you disconnect each power connector, write it down. After installing the new power supply, re-connect in reverse order. That way you won't close the case and discover that your optical drive doesn't seem to be working!

And disconnect the motherboard last, reconnect it first.