PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Don't see "New distribution release" in Update Manager

justanothergreysky
April 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm running 8.04 on my desktop system. I haven't used it in quite awhile, but I logged in today to find 100+ updates and figured I may as well update the system.

Then I realized that unlike my other Ubuntu machines, I don't have a "New distribution release is available" prompt in the update manager.

I went ahead and ran the 100 updates and rebooted and still don't see that option.

What's the best way to upgrade to 9.10?

Thanks!

arpanaut
April 1st, 2010, 09:06 PM
That option will not appear until Lucid reaches final release at the end of the month.

There are options to upgrade prior to that (search forum) but is not advisable as it is only at Beta 1 stage ATM, more changes and unstability is to be expected.

Your choice, God Luck

sisco311
April 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm running 8.04 on my desktop system. I haven't used it in quite awhile, but I logged in today to find 100+ updates and figured I may as well update the system.

Then I realized that unlike my other Ubuntu machines, I don't have a "New distribution release is available" prompt in the update manager.

I went ahead and ran the 100 updates and rebooted and still don't see that option.

What's the best way to upgrade to 9.10?

Thanks!

You can NOT upgrade directly to 9.10. You have to upgrade to 8.10, then to 9.04 and finally to 9.10. Or wait until the LTS release, 10.04, is out & upgrade to it.

See:
community/UpgradeNotes

justanothergreysky
April 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM
You can NOT upgrade directly to 9.10. You have to upgrade to 8.10, then to 9.04 and finally to 9.10. Or wait until the LTS release, 10.04, is out & upgrade to it.

See:
community/UpgradeNotes

Ohhhhh... the reason I see the upgrade option on other machines is that they're running 8.10 instead of 8.04.

I think I'll probably just wait until 10.04 is out then. Thanks!

Slim Odds
April 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Ohhhhh... the reason I see the upgrade option on other machines is that they're running 8.10 instead of 8.04.

If they are running 8.10, they'll only be offered an upgrade to 9.04