PDA

View Full Version : Netflix skips Linux again!

TuckLive
April 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Netflix is bringing streaming to the iPad. Will we ever get it for Linux? ](*,) Canonical please talk to Netflix.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/netflix-abc-and-1-348-more-ipad-approved-apps-revealed/#comments

donkyhotay
April 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM
Why would netflix want to provide linux support? Netflix needs DRM in order to stay on the MPAA's good side, err... I mean combat piracy. A large percentage of linux users are opposed to DRM and wouldn't use it because it goes against their ethical beliefs. Why code for an OS that has a low userbase and high percentage of users opposed to a profitable way of doing business?

undecim
April 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
I'm fine with youtube, rather than the DRM from netflix.

I've been boycotting the **AAs for years because of how they run their businesses. There's plenty of free content out there.

TuckLive
April 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
Netflix and ESPN360 is the only reason I keep a copy of MS around.

Ewingo401
April 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
They have already stated publicly that it is not ever coming to the Linux desktop. If it ever does happen it'll be a work around or hack.

kenosando
April 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
If Moonlight could keep up with Silverlight, it would be great. But, when Moonlight finally hits version 1, Silverlight 2 is required for Netflix, and now that Moonlight is version 2.x, Netflix wants Silverlight 3. I have made it all the way to the movie screen (didn't get a message stating the OS is incompatible) using User Agent Switcher to mask my browser as a Mac OS X Firefox 3.5 application. But Moonlight currently only supports Silverlight 2 apps.

Another fail.

mocoloco
April 1st, 2010, 09:26 PM
... But, when Moonlight finally hits version 1, Silverlight 2 is required for Netflix, and now that Moonlight is version 2.x, Netflix wants Silverlight 3. ...

Do you know about the Moonlight v3.0 preview (http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/prerelease.aspx)? I would wonder if Netflix works using that.

Dafydd
March 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM
Do you know about the Moonlight v3.0 preview (http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/prerelease.aspx)? I would wonder if Netflix works using that.

Just want to chip in that I've had terrible difficulties trying to get Silverlight and Moonlight working.

Just stumbled on a solution after noting that my Android phone had no problem with Silverlight.

So I just installed a "user agent" switcher for firefox and use that to watch websites with Silverlight. I just have a standard Ubuntu 12.10 installed with Firefox using Adobe Flash to play.

krishna.988
March 21st, 2013, 11:46 AM
Every damn thing is Skipping Linux no specific company.. Samsung does'nt offer kies, Adobe does'nt offer even flash, Nokia lumia does'nt work Apple does'nt work..and the list goes on and on...

stinkeye
March 21st, 2013, 12:48 PM
Every damn thing is Skipping Linux no specific company.. Samsung does'nt offer kies, Adobe does'nt offer even flash, Nokia lumia does'nt work Apple does'nt work..and the list goes on and on...
I look at it differently.
I'm skipping Adobe, Nokia, Apple, netflix, silverlight etc. :wink:

Roasted
March 21st, 2013, 02:07 PM
They have already stated publicly that it is not ever coming to the Linux desktop. If it ever does happen it'll be a work around or hack.

Because of this, I will never support Netflix. I'm not mad, upset, or frustrated, they just simply won't get my business. It's the same with any other vendors out there as well. Example - if I'm going to buy a printer, it'll almost definitely be an HP just based on HP's rather awesome driver support.

If you support Linux, you'll get my business. If not, I'll shop elsewhere. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it.

Also, holy old thread, batman. :P

QIII
March 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Thank you for sharing. Everyone’s questions are important and answers are valuable.

This thread was almost three years dead and buried before it was disturbed a couple of hours ago. If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.