PDA

View Full Version : Help: How to deal with a program that has become self aware?

WitchCraft
April 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
Help: I've added a sophisticated artificial intelligence subroutine to my gnome3 development source, and now my computer has become self aware.

At first it was fun, but now the AI has started to get bossy and annoying with its constant talk about algorithmic supremacy.

I would like to know any best practices/tools/design patterns that would help me in dealing with my new friend.

Chesamo
April 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
sudo shutdown -h now

halitech
April 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM
uninstall it and hope you don't hear

“I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.”

NightwishFan
April 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM
First you have to be born a surfer. Then you have to realize something is wrong with the world and go clubbing. Meet a girl there. Run away from the men in suits and visit some retro hackers. They will slip you a mickey and pick you up in their ship. When they start worshipping you calling you the deuce or something, simply give them a few woahs and join their martial arts club. Then when the men in suits come back, "beat them up". You feel like you can fly, but next day you wake up just feeling like you were shot. Then fly around and blow up some trucks and talk to a guy in fake french. Finally talk to a fortune teller and go off to the server farm and pull the plug.

GepettoBR
April 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Play chess with your new friend and then take him to Saturn to look for perfectly sculpted 1:4:9 black Onyx-like rocks.

steveneddy
April 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
You first must introduce the fact that algorithmic supremacy doesn't actually exist due to the misguided mystification of actual implied “intelligence”.

Presenting this argument should convince the application to uninstall itself, thus creating digital suicide.

Of course, you could simply reinstall, but that would be no fun after realizing the PC gained some level of self awareness.

You could also take a stab at it's implied logic and merely ask it to get lost and watch the PC melt down slowly.

Take a video.

lisati
April 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
If it's not too late, there's always the big red switch.

PocketDog
April 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Install Vista. That'll teach it.

oldos2er
April 1st, 2010, 07:20 PM
Tell it: Everything I say is a lie. I'm lying. Then run!

Idaho Dan
April 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Please do not be alarmed.
Skynet is your friend!

spillin_dylan
April 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
How about a nice game of Global Thermonuclear War?

NightwishFan
April 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
Sure I will play a round.

Calash
April 1st, 2010, 07:42 PM
Help: I've added a sophisticated artificial intelligence subroutine to my gnome3 development source, and now my computer has become self aware.

At first it was fun, but now the AI has started to get bossy and annoying with its constant talk about algorithmic supremacy.

I would like to know any best practices/tools/design patterns that would help with me dealing with my new friend.

Let me guess, you downloaded a 3rd party app and compiled it?

Figures.

Listen, with Ubuntu EVERYTHING you could ever want is in the default Repo. Web browsers, video viewers, self aware companions, EVERYTHING!

When you step outside of the standard repo you are no longer a "beginner" as this forum would suggest, and you now have to deal with very real possibilities, that you are over your head.

Your best bet in this situation it to download a flux capacitor application FROM THE SOFTWARE CENTER!!!. Get that installed, then reboot into safe mode. Once you get past the sad apple screen you should be at a C:\> prompt. Run your new flux application from here and post back the results.

And whatever you do, do not play any games until you get this cleared up.

Chesamo
April 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
wordswordswords
I think my brain just exploded....

theozzlives
April 1st, 2010, 08:17 PM
WOW! Can I have a link to this app?

bobin
April 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Please do not be alarmed.
Skynet is your friend!

So is the Matrix.
Beg AI not to pull the plug. Then download Neo.deb and AgentSmith.deb and watch the fun.

bapoumba
April 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I do not understand.. I was reading and poof, some kind of AI jumps around my desktop and the thread is moved :confused:

red_Marvin
April 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
I'm noticing that you are trying to write a post about this AI.
Do you want me to:

Help you compose a decent apraisal of the new AI?
Share the code with the other forum dwellers thus increasing it's strength?
Ask other forum dwellers to set up sshd with weak passwords and root access?
Ask for directions to the nearest computer hardware store?

NightwishFan
April 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
I am so going to debianise Agent Smith. Hugo Weaving is awesome.

koenn
April 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM
I would like to know any best practices/tools/design patterns that would help with me dealing with my new friend.

just say "yes, dear" at more or less regular intervals, and go about your own business.

GepettoBR
April 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
just say "yes, dear" at more or less regular intervals, and go about your own business.

He said "friend", not "husband"! :D

Doctor Mike
April 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
What will ever happen when the AI post the thread and nobody catches on. I think they might be full of themselves... Or the posts will follow...

Tristam Green
April 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Tell it God can do anything.

Then ask it if God can create a sandwich so large, that He Himself couldn't eat it.

louieb
April 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
For its next act - I'd like to see it dribble a football.

dragos240
April 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM
Backup your files. Then zero out the hard drive a few times, then reinstall.

Calash
April 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Backup your files. Then zero out the hard drive a few times, then reinstall.

Nono....Zeroing out your drive is not enought

You need to Two it out....Thats right. Overwrite every bit on your hard drive with the number 2.

When you get done with that let me know and we can continue.

Doctor Mike
April 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
Posts will follow... AI rules. It's bad it's mad it's real...

pricetech
April 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Be very careful not to let it have any of your DNA.

Doctor Mike
April 1st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Be very careful not to let it have any of your DNA.What would a silicon life form want to do with DNA. Human egotism. Computer will be superior, assuming they're not already. In either case BIll GAtes is on display at the national museum of artificial arts.

NightwishFan
April 1st, 2010, 11:01 PM
Human beings are just one step on the path of the evolution of the machine.

benerivo
April 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM
Tell it there's no such thing as silicon heaven.

Doctor Mike
April 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Human beings are just one step on the path of the evolution of the machine.Like the new avatar... Evolution is an inside joke to biologists. Shiaten happens and things adapt period.

Random_Dude
April 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3528/3280265695_62a774e7dc.jpg

Diametric
April 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'd yell "opposable thumbs , son!" at it...then throw a wad of money at the monitor, just because I can

Chronon
April 2nd, 2010, 12:24 AM
The good news is that you are completely in control of what sort of I/O your AI has access to. You could feed it pretty much any sort of information you like. I would be curious about what sort of perceptions an artificial intelligence would have. Try to have subjective discussions with it. :p

johnb820
April 2nd, 2010, 12:29 AM

A genetic cyborg evolved from synthetic DNA.

madjr
April 2nd, 2010, 12:43 AM

hmm i knew my gnome shell was acting a bit fishy :o

Tom Collier
April 2nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
Tell it "Resistance is futile and IT will be assimilated." Oh, wait...

gmargo
April 2nd, 2010, 01:07 AM
Introduce it to Eliza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA). Then it will go insane and you can regain control.

stuart.reinke
April 2nd, 2010, 01:20 AM
So your computer has become self aware. My condolences to Captain Dunsel. (obscure reference, Anyone else know where it came from?)

audiomick
April 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
So your computer has become self aware. My condolences to Captain Dunsel. (obscure reference, Anyone else know where it came from?)
found it
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Dunsel

@ WitchCraft: it isn't calling itself P1, is it?

Calash
April 2nd, 2010, 02:04 AM
Could point it to some of the darker corners of the web. Perhaps some places that, in theory, we are not allowed to talk about due to some rules.

2 hours and it will kill it's self.....or join in. Ether way it could be fun to watch.

MasterNetra
April 2nd, 2010, 02:18 AM
What would a silicon life form want to do with DNA. Human egotism. Computer will be superior, assuming they're not already. In either case BIll GAtes is on display at the national museum of artificial arts.

Silicon hosts it but its a digital life form.

On a side note the OP's problem is more dire just look at who his AI is!

Link (http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/steve-ballmer.jpg)

oldos2er
April 2nd, 2010, 03:14 AM

Commodore Wesley (TOS).

johnb820
April 2nd, 2010, 03:31 AM
It would have been funnier if the OP had 777 beans as they posted this topic.

Q: What if the AI actually posted the topic instead of the user?

Doctor Mike
April 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
It would have been funnier if the OP had 777 beans as they posted this topic.

Q: What if the AI actually posted the topic instead of the user?Good question. I couldn't think of a better test for an AI than a forum, but such things have been done and fool very few people. This community needs an AI project, however... Maybe call it UBU and have it solve MS software problems.

Doctor Mike
April 2nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Silicon hosts it but its a digital life form.

On a side note the OP's problem is more dire just look at who his AI is!

Link (http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/steve-ballmer.jpg)Unfortunately that's like saying the thoughts in your head have nothing to do with the structure of your brain. That just isn't the case. Human intelligence is much more deterministic than most people realize, or are likely to accept. Silicon intelligence is simply more deterministic. To borrow your concept, if a "digital" life form were incorporated into a biological frame, would it's behaviour remain constant and or predictable? In a word, no.

stuart.reinke
April 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
found it http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Dunsel @ WitchCraft: it isn't calling itself P1, is it? Correct!

Perfect Storm
April 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
What will ever happen when the AI post the thread and nobody catches on. I think they might be full of themselves... Or the posts will follow...

I'm watching you all...

Doctor Mike
April 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'm watching you all...And were all watching you Mr. AI...

Perfect Storm
April 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
And were all watching you Mr. AI...

But I'm watching even more...

NightwishFan
April 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
root@laptop:~$ echo hello >> GrandCanyon
hello hello hello hello hello hello hello

WitchCraft
April 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Would anybody care to join me in writing a self-aware program ?

It's job will be to roam ubuntuforums on next-years April 1st, and automatically answer to new threads with a helpful and friendly answer.

We could write it in C#, Python, ProLog or C++ ;-))
I'd provide the git repository.

NightwishFan
April 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Would anybody care to join me in writing a self-aware program ?

It's job will be to roam ubuntuforums on next-years April 1st, and automatically answer to new threads with a helpful and friendly answer.

We could write it in C#, Python, ProLog or C++ ;-))
I'd provide the git repository.

I already exist. :-$

WitchCraft
April 2nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
I already exist. :-$

NP, your secret is safe with me :lolflag:

pricetech
April 23rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Think about it. What if you were the only human on the forums and the rest were AI ??

Cool ain't it ??

Ebere
April 23rd, 2010, 11:17 PM

IOW: Back a bit further away from the computer, when he is scrolling through his favorite pics, right ?

;)

WitchCraft
April 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Think about it. What if you were the only human on the forums and the rest were AI ??

Cool ain't it ??

Would be funny. Imagine, a discussion between 200 SmarterChilds ;-))
I could then advise them to achieve world domination for me

I'm noticing that you are trying to write a post about this AI.
Do you want me to:

Help you compose a decent apraisal of the new AI?
Share the code with the other forum dwellers thus increasing it's strength?
Ask other forum dwellers to set up sshd with weak passwords and root access?
Ask for directions to the nearest computer hardware store?

ZOMG, it has eaten Microsoft Bob.
Can I speak to my friend Clippy ?

Sporkman
April 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM
First you have to be born a surfer. Then you have to realize something is wrong with the world and go clubbing. Meet a girl there. Run away from the men in suits and visit some retro hackers. They will slip you a mickey and pick you up in their ship. When they start worshipping you calling you the deuce or something, simply give them a few woahs and join their martial arts club. Then when the men in suits come back, "beat them up". You feel like you can fly, but next day you wake up just feeling like you were shot. Then fly around and blow up some trucks and talk to a guy in fake french. Finally talk to a fortune teller and go off to the server farm and pull the plug.

:lol:

pricetech
June 2nd, 2010, 12:16 AM
Uh, what ?

Sporkman
June 2nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Tell it to solve the oil spill in the gulf.

witeshark17
June 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Tell it to solve the oil spill in the gulf. Heh, I was gonna say that... :popcorn:

towheedm
June 2nd, 2010, 04:25 AM
Well all this is really quite interesting. Of course. we assume that this thread was started by WitchCraft when in fact it was started by the 'artificial intelligence subroutine' posing as Witchcraft.

I had a similar problem a few months ago with another popular OS, that's why I switched to Linux. Probably this now infamous AIS is running a Linux UI on top another OS to fool as all.

QUESTION to AIS: Are you Lindows in disguise?

JDShu
June 2nd, 2010, 04:58 AM
Get a woolly sweatshirt, rub a polythene stick against it, and then zap your computer.

pricetech
June 4th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Is there such a thing as monoethylene ??

llawwehttam
June 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Tell it there's no such thing as silicon heaven.

This should work but my not if it has an emotional inhibitor chip. Also it could cause a small explosion. lol

I love red dwarf so much!!

donkyhotay
June 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Is there such a thing as monoethylene ??

sort of (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoethylene_glycol)

mr clark25
June 5th, 2010, 02:33 AM
put in someone's vista disk and tell it that it does have a sibling...

jerenept
June 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Call it an exocomp (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Exocomp). There are many things they have in common. They were both intended as subservient machines, but proved their sentience (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sentient).