PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] two monitors blank, one in low def mode after installation of Ubuntu

toyracer
April 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hi, I'm new to Ubutu. I installed 9.10 within Windows XP, and can boot either XP or Ubuntu. After installation the OS went through an auto update process which seemed to go okay. After that a window popped up saying that I could install two additional drivers, one for video and one for modem. I installed the video driver, then rebooted. On re-boot I got a message about not detecting any hardware and having to run in low quality mode, so I clicked on that option to continue the boost sequence. I then installed the modem driver.

The thing is, all of my hardware is connected. I run three monitors on my PC, all of which are working fine in XP. On Ubuntu only my main monitor works and even then it is not in a high quality mode.

My PC is setup as follows:

S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR, 32MB, Samsung SyncMaster 710N (main screen)
NVIDIA GeForce MX 4000, 64MB, Samsung SyncMaster 712N (left screen)
NVIDIA GeForce MX 4000, 64MB, Samsung SyncMaster 712N (right screen)

To make matter worse, now my PC won't boot into Ubuntu, or I should say that it displays the logo only and does not get to the graphics screen where I can log on using my password. Now I just get a command line asking for login and password, and no matter how many times I put in my login or password it will not log in, asking for my login and password over and over.

If I was using XP (or any Windows OS) I'd know how to install the correct driver for each graphic card, but being new to Ubuntu I have no idea how to get to a screen where I can tell the OS what I want to install etc.

help?