PDA

View Full Version : I broke my eclipse install

elpresidente
March 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Actually, I was hving difficulties getting phpeclipse to work after installed and wanted a fresh uninstall and reinstall but eclipse still saw phpeclipse as installed. So I apt removed it and went to rm -ing some eclipse directories (I got heavy-handed and rm 'd them all inclusing /etc/eclipse). The later dir included java_home I think and now, after apt installing eclipse again I receive an "A suitable Java Virtual Machine for running the Eclipse Platform could not be located." error. I know I shouldn't have deleted that but I don't know how to fix it. My google searches bore no fruit.

hod139
March 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
You can try

sudo update-alternatives --config java

and selecting the desired JRE. You can also edit /etc/jvm and make sure a path to a JRE exists. Lastly, you can start eclipse by passing it the -vm flag, followed by a path to a vm.

eclipse -vm /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/
Hope one of those work.

elpresidente
March 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Thank you. I tried those but it did not help. I did, however, manage to grab a copy of java_home off my nearly identical ubuntu install at home and copy it to /etc/eclipse and have created ~/.eclipse/eclipserc to include:

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun

Now any attempts to run it results in an error message:

An error has occurred. See the log file /home/username/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.1.1/configuration/xxxxxxxxxxxxx.log

That log contains:

!SESSION Tue Mar 14 12:10:52 EST 2006 ------------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 2006-03-14 12:10:52.740
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.getSplashLocation(M ain.java:1638)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.handleSplash(Main.j ava:1535)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java: 276)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:973)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:948)

Not sure how to rectify this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mlind
March 14th, 2006, 10:22 PM
you could try to remove eclipse using apt-get remove --purge
then start eclipse using -clean switch and preferably create new workspace.

elpresidente
March 14th, 2006, 10:32 PM
you could try to remove eclipse using apt-get remove --purge
then start eclipse using -clean switch and preferably create new workspace.

I did try that and the issue did not go away. I just now downloaded eclipse from eclipse.org. After extracting the archive, it seems to be running just fine. I just edited my menu file (fluxbox) to point to the extracted eclipse archive. I'm attempting to install phpEclipse right now and will report back after that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mlind
March 15th, 2006, 12:19 AM
usually funny stacktraces like that one are caused by eclipse GUI running on
non-sun jvm.

does java -version say that it's sun's jvm

elpresidente
March 15th, 2006, 03:20 PM
usually funny stacktraces like that one are caused by eclipse GUI running on
non-sun jvm.

does java -version say that it's sun's jvm

It did. I had actually switched it to gnu when I installed eclipse directly downloaded from eclipse.org and it worked. I did just switch it to sun as the PHP browser was giving me a not available error. After switching it, I get now error but no PHP browser either. Not a high priority - will try to take care of it another time.