PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Crash on update

scfaster
April 1st, 2010, 09:59 AM
Greetings!

I am new to Ubuntu, but I have dealt with Linix based servers for many years so I am learning quickly. The bug that I encountered involves the computer shutting down while unpacking the updates. Twice this has happened on two clean installs. I have the latest version (9.10 desktop). Last night I set it up and went about downloading the updates. I let it pick the ones it wanted, and I hit the button. It downloaded them, 230MB worth. While they were about 2/3 of the way through unpacking !!click!!, the computer shuts down.
Ok, so I go through the usual checklist, checking CPU heatsink and themal goop, checked the northbridge temp and heatsnk, HDD temp, and eventually memory, video card, power supply. The video card was hot, so I add ed a fan to it, and it runs cool. In a W-----s environment it is a good running and stable computer.

Tonight I tried formatting and reloading the OS from scratch again. It went well. I let a slide show of big full res pictures run for about 4 hours, and surfed a little too. Call it 6 hours of very stable run time. Ok, so I downloaded the suggested updates again, and again 2/3 of the way through unpacking them, WHAM the computer shuts down and smokes my install. It starts right back up, but now I get error messages like last night..

udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured
udevadm settle is not permitted while udev is unconfigured
svgalib: cannot open /dev/mem
Gave up waiting for root device.. common problems, bla bla bla
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/0cd534cb-**-**-** does not exist

Running recovery off of the disk won't help, nor does the recovery mode.

I am off to format:c, and I can have it up in <45 minutes, but but this time NO updates.

Any advice?