PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer Janitor lists as "unused" a program that I'm pretty sure gets used often

SnickerSnack
April 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM
Hi all,

I ran the Computer Janitor to clean things up a bit, and found that the list of "unused" items is pretty long, ~141.

Among the items listed, I found Maxima, Pari-GP and Gnuplot, which are used by Sage, which I use all the time. Is this possibly a mistake? I'm currently using a binary form of Sage, rather than the one available via apt, so maybe these aren't currently being used?

Also listed were cpython, ipython and a lot of python-*; does that seem right?

I don't want to follow the recommendations and then have to reinstall things.

Advice?

If it matters: Ubuntu 9.10, Sage 4.3.3 binary

SnickerSnack
April 2nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Bumping. ~24 hours old and from the 6th page. I apologize if this breaks any forum rules. I'll bump again in 24 to 48 hours.

SnickerSnack
April 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Bumping. ~24 hours old and from the 6th page. I apologize if this breaks any forum rules. I'll bump again in 24 to 48 hours.

Or in two weeks.

bump

bumanie
April 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Just uninstall the ones you are sure about. Doing
sudo apt-get autoclean will clean most stuff that is not needed.

oldos2er
April 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I've read that Computer Janitor is geared toward newbies who may not know how to fully remove packages or other installed software, but it seems to me that you need some experience to understand what software can be safely removed, and what software can't.

I personally just stick to sudo apt-get autoremove, etc.

SnickerSnack
April 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Just uninstall the ones you are sure about. Doing will clean most stuff that is not needed.

I've read that Computer Janitor is geared toward newbies who may not know how to fully remove packages or other installed software, but it seems to me that you need some experience to understand what software can be safely removed, and what software can't.

I personally just stick to sudo apt-get autoremove, etc.

Thanks for your replies.

I decided a few days ago to go ahead and do autoclean. Then, I realized that the 'janitor' and apt list those packages as unused not necessarily because they actually aren't, but maybe only because I removed sage through apt, and therefore those packages are marked as "installed because something needed them, but now nothing does". Well, if I find that some parts of sage are now broken, I'll just reinstall those things that I need...