PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista will launch in November 2006

linbetwin
March 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM
It's official (well... kind of): Windows Vista will launch in November of this year.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1937540,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://blogs.msdn.com/conblog/archive/2006/03/14/550826.aspx

BarfBag
March 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM
You think they would have learned their lession with the xBox 360. Rushing out a product is NOT good. :confused:

Virogenesis
March 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Fantasic timing dapper +1 will be out by then to kick its ***...
Vista will be amusing

mstlyevil
March 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM
You think they would have learned their lession with the xBox 360. Rushing out a product is NOT good. :confused:

How is it being rushed? It has been in development for two years now. Ubuntu is released in six month cycles and yet people are not being critical of it being rushed.

Kernel Sanders
March 14th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Microsoft are launching quite a lot this year.......

Windows Vista
Office 2007
Windows Live
Windows Live Messenger
Origami

and a host of other ones that I cant remember......

And they all SUCK!!! :mrgreen:

I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and Office 2003, and I can say conclusively, that I WILL NOT be more productive with Vista and Office 2007 than I am now.

There are simply not any reasons that I can see to get excited about this years Microsoft offerings apart from whole new GUI's, that seem to have had a lot of work. There are NO productivity improvements that I can see....

mstlyevil
March 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Microsoft are launching quite a lot this year.......

Windows Vista
Office 2007
Windows Live
Windows Live Messenger
Origami

and a host of other ones that I cant remember......

And they all SUCK!!! :mrgreen:

I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and Office 2003, and I can say conclusively, that I WILL NOT be more productive with Vista and Office 2007 than I am now.

There are simply not any reasons that I can see to get excited about this years Microsoft offerings apart from whole new GUI's, that seem to have had a lot of work. There are NO productivity improvements that I can see....

But that is your opinion and does not neccessarily reflect the opinion of the public at large. Besides, how can you know if something sucks when it has not even been made available for purchase yet?

Lovechild
March 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
So.. good news everybody..

We have plenty of time to polish our stuff for a quick blitzkrieg to end this silly war.

ComplexNumber
March 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM
i heard that its going to be released in december, or even early on in 2007.

mstlyevil
March 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM
i heard that its going to be released in december, or even early on in 2007.

Their stated goal was to have it ready for the holiday shopping season. I originally heard December was the projected release target but if development is ahead of schedule it could very well be November.

Mr_J_
March 14th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I want to see all about the stuff they've been yelling about.

Can it be better than toast?

I can't wait to see the multi-colored Screens of Death! :D

On another note...
How fast will Vista get Viruses?

I wonder if older aplications will be able to use that new look with transparency or just crash.

Xmas might be nice for computer stores if all MSFT does is break compatibility.

Will SLED 10 become more adopted as people in enterprises refuse to pay extra bucks for a shiny OS?

Can this be the shot in the leg for MSFT? Hope so, but i think not.

ComplexNumber
March 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM
How fast will Vista get Viruses? as fast as XP does, perhaps more. initially, there will be a lot of holes here and there that will need patching up over the years. microsoft has realised that there is money to be made from security, so its in their interests for vista NOT to be as secure as people think.

mstlyevil
March 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM
as fast as XP does, perhaps more. initially, there will be a lot of holes here and there that will need patching up over the years. microsoft has realised that there is money to be made from security, so its in their interests for vista NOT to be as secure as people think.

That is just anti-MSFT FUD. Lets not steer this thread to a MSFT bash fest.

ComplexNumber
March 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
That is just anti-MSFT FUD. Lets not steer this thread to a MSFT bash fest. ok. sorry. it wasn't intended as an anti MS bash. i was just saying what i think.

Mr_J_
March 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Sorry for that...
It's just what I think, and something we all know.

Windows will have viruses due to, if nothing else, the monopoly of the market they have.

I'd like for windows be as safe as a vault, not get malware, viruses or problems of any kind...
Of course most of the computer industry would disappear in a flash after that...

It's not bashing when your work depends on it!
The crappier it is = the more work I get because of it!

A sad statement, but it's a living...\\:D/

Lol! Near real-time errors because I edited this post when I saw your previous one.

mstlyevil
March 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
They made a new color for the screen of death for something.

I can see the slogans now!

"We couldn't make it better so we made you a new colour to realize how busted your computer is!"

Screens of Death in all the colours of the rainbow!!

Do you know how rare a BSOD on XP is? 99% of the time it is due to poorly written drivers and is not the fault of MSFT. I have had Ubuntu crash on me plenty of times or just lock up because of third party software or drivers. I meant what I said about the MSFT bashing in my above post. If you can not restain yourself from steering the thread off topic I will have no choice but to lock it.

We hate it when Windows fanboys bash Linux and it is just as bad when Linux fanboys resort to the same tactics.

clemcat
March 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
As a full time student in the Computer Information Systems program at my college we are giving access to ALL of the MS OS'es and I am still here using Ubuntu. We have access through the MSDNAA (Microsoft something something Academic Alliance) to all the betas as well.

I was all excited about the "beta 2" release (MS has decided that instead of making a lot of public betas they are doing what are called Community Technical Previews) which was actually called Build 5270, it was touted by most as the "almost completely polished product". I sat there with a copy of my Vista disc and my Ubuntu disk and thought for a while. After some time reminiscing about the last time I ran Vista on my machine I decided to go with Ubuntu.

I am not MS bashing, there are some nice features to Vista, and I even have my Ubuntu box "looking" like it since it is a nice look, somehow MS has learned to tell time. When they say "copying files....5 seconds remaining, there really are only 5 seconds remaining. The search that they have built into the OS is fantastic, and regrettably one of the things I miss, you are able to create meta tags and descriptions, and if you run the search and do not find the product using descriptions, metatags, ratings, etc, then it must not exist.

The cons- You can tell that DRM (Digital Rights Management) is a VERY VERY hot issue it seems like it is deeply integrated into the OS. I have decided that I do not quite like the idea of MS telling me what I can and can't do with my music, so that pretty much killed the deal. I also don't like the fact that there are 16 bazillion versions of it either, seems like somewhere someone is going to get the shaft on this one.

For more info, this is a pretty good site:
http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/

Sorry for the long post, didn't mean to go off like this.:-?

Mr_J_
March 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I've heard plenty of good things about Vista.
Changes in the kernel seem nice. Means less reboots after installs.

One thing I haven't heard anything about is restrictions on third party software installations.

I believe audio has been changed from 16 to 32bit, or was it from 8 to 16?
Anywho! There was an upgrade.

Redesigned network...

I hope the new appearance is not working under kernel either, which would be great! No more system wide lag from excessive usage.
Due to processor usage too, but not when the aplication crashes...

Vista has been sounding great! A little too great...

Never used any of the "previews", but I read reviews on how it's slow when the users hack the registry to use all of the bells and whistles...
Of course it would if the aero adjusts itself to your computer!

Anywho...
I still say Vista isn't really out until they ship WinFS with it!

I'm guessing MSFT is trying extra hard to make Intel Core stand out.
Maybe some partnership with some laptop manufacturer that has fuell cells in 2007 or so and big show going on and on about loads of features and propaganda they always show...

Now that is sounding more like MSFT for me!
Even if I'm wrong. MSFT has been pretty quiet about all things MSFT...
They got to have a bang in store to show off!

Not a FUD.... Whatever that means...

I like all the lights and flashes they give to us! Otherwise I wouldn't be a geek!

clemcat
March 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
WinFS was not included in Build 5112 (the first one) and there is a lot of talk about it in the final project. It was referenced to in the documentation for build 5270 (the second "beta") in the CD Documentation, I really have very little need to paly with WinFS, but it "should" according to a few people be included with the final. They (MS) have been teasing all of us with it.

Zotova
March 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Do you know how rare a BSOD on XP is

I installed XP and Kubuntu the other weekend.

How many times has XP crashed given me a BSOD forcing me to restart? Zero

How many times has Kubuntu crashed forcing me to restart? Twice

How many programs have crashed in XP? Two

How many programs have crashed in Kubuntu? Five

Go figure.

mstlyevil
March 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I think some people are under the mistaken impression that WinFS is a new file system. It is just a new indexing and search function that rivals the one in Apples OSX. I don't think it would be a deal breaker if it shipped at a later date than Vista as long as it can be well integrated with the operating system after it's release.

ComplexNumber
March 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Go figure. well at least compare it with a decent and at least reasonably reliable distro :p. kubuntu is seen as being one of the least stable distros of all. compare XP/vista with ubuntu or fedora or something.

Zotova
March 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
well at least compare it with a decent and at least reasonably reliable distro :p.

The point was everything has its problems. Win and Lin, I'm just sick of seeing XP bashing be people who clearly don't know what they are on about.

That is not aimed at mstlyevil or youself btw

aysiu
March 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Stability is a complex thing.

The Linux kernel is extremely stable.

The KDE and Gnome GUIs can be stable, but it's also very easy to de-stabilize them.

I had a perfectly fine-working KDE for months. Then, one day, I went to http://www.kde-look.org and downloaded one of the popular icon themes. I installed the theme through KControl, and all of sudden Konqueror was all screwed up (blank window that couldn't close).

The only obvious fix was to delete my ~/.kde directory.

If I hadn't installed that weirdo icon theme, though, it would have probably kept working for months afterwards just fine.

The problem is really that people who are new to Linux have to install and configure their own operating systems. The other problem (which is related) is that there are a lot of random-*** programs and icons and themes out there. Some are professionally put together. Some are literally put together by some guy in his basement.

Compare the stability of OpenOffice to SharpMusique, for example.

In the beginning, when you start using Linux, you have no idea what will screw up your system and what won't.

I guess it's similar to Windows in a way. The difference is that if you download something sketchy from Windows, you'll get spyware or adware. If you download something "sketchy" from Linux, you may have your entire desktop environment crash.

mstlyevil
March 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM
The point was everything has its problems. Win and Lin, I'm just sick of seeing XP bashing be people who clearly don't know what they are on about.

That is not aimed at mstlyevil or youself btw

I already dealt with the bashers. It is time to let it go and do the happy dance.\\:D/

Kimm
March 14th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Go figure.

I dont want to bash, but this is begging for it, XP vs. Ubuntu

How many times has XP crashed given me a BSOD forcing me to restart?
Crash With BSOD: Once
Crash Without: Countless times

How many times has Ubuntu crashed forcing me to restart?
2 or 3 times, caused by a bad driver

How many programs have crashed in XP?
Countless

How many programs have crashed in Kubuntu?
Several

However I cant say that program stability has much to do with the OS, but rather the creator of the program itself.

Kernel Sanders
March 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Lets not steer this thread to a MSFT bash fest.

You have to be carefull though..... Just like linux, BSD, OSX, etc, every OS has its good and bad points.

If pointing out the bad/giving a negative opinion is considered "MS Bashing" or "[Insert OS name here] Bashing" then we have one restricted forum on our hands! Personally, I think that accusing someone of "[Insert OS name here] Bashing" is just a cop out for ignoring their opinion *most* of the time.

I am a Windows XP Pro SP2 fan, its my primary OS! But I am of the opinion that most of Microsofts released this year are more geared to Microsofts new look than genuine prodactivity increases.

Yes, everyone can disagree with me and give me a clear list of each applications improvements, but IMHO they dont go far enough, and certainly dont make the average, or even business user more productive.

Example's:

**Vista's increased security**

Windows XP Pro SP2 with a good firewall, antispyware, and antivirus are just as secure as Vista. The only thing that Vista is better at is at protecting you from a spyware program in .exe format that you chose to download due to being tricked.

In an office environment, you probably wont have permissions to run .exe files on your computer anyway, so there's going to be very little benefit of vista there.

In a home environment, the majority of users wont get tricked.

So yes, Vista for example is an improvement in security, but really *WORTH* an upgrade?

IMHO......... no.

Oh, and this was NOT an "MS bash" ;)

John

Bandit
March 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I am not sure what to think about VISTA. Kinda looks nice IMHO. Of course looks like they kinda copied stuff from *nix systems. Which is prob why I think it looks good. Security?? They have proposed some good ideas, but the proof will be in the pudding. I will hold my sacasism until it is released.

XP, well many people claim its more stable. I will admit I never see the blue screen of death anymore. Now it just locks up.. M$'s security from SP2? PAIN IN THE ARSH!!! Bothersome crap gets on my last nerve.
For those who like it, use it. XP is not for me...

Cheers,
Joey

YourSurrogateGod
March 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Stability is a complex thing.

The Linux kernel is extremely stable.

The KDE and Gnome GUIs can be stable, but it's also very easy to de-stabilize them.
Excellent point. The kernel itself is solidly built. The problem arises when the desktops that sit on top of that thing screw up. I've had my fair share of screw ups from Gnome and KDE, but I can't say that about the kernel.

Bandit
March 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Excellent point. The kernel itself is solidly built. The problem arises when the desktops that sit on top of that thing screw up. I've had my fair share of screw ups from Gnome and KDE, but I can't say that about the kernel.
Good point as well.

One of the things I am looking for in Dapper is Xorg7, they have supposed to fix the stability of xorg when using the nVidia drivers. There for awhile I thought it was nVidias drivers, turns out it was a bug in X its self. I like many people have had constant xorg lock-ups when playing 3D games (even tux racer). This is the only stability issues I have encountered and this is cross distro issue from what I have seen.

Cheers,
Joey

bored2k
March 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I hope Vista and all the other releases end up being an even greater product than what their predecessors already are. Personally, I wait to get a hold of Microsoft Office 2007 way more than I want to get a hold of Windows Vista, although I want that too.

bored2k
March 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
To those who want to who are bashing on Windows for simply being Windows, let me say this: my default Kubuntu installs (any of its variants) have been less stable and (thus) more crash-prone than any of my Windows XP installs have ever been. Now, if this will turn into another I hate Microsoft thread, Houston, prepare the Lock.

YourSurrogateGod
March 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Do you know how rare a BSOD on XP is? 99% of the time it is due to poorly written drivers and is not the fault of MSFT.
Just to be a nit-pick, it's a combination of how well/poorly the OS was written, bad drivers and at times user ineptness. These are my opinions that I've gathered over time from my own experience and that of a good friend of mine that knows quite a bit about Windows programming.

Initially, Microsoft gave alot of power to developers as to what they could do with Win 9x. You had alot of liberty when it came to messing with the memory and such. But as a result, this made the OS fragile. Also, there is the fact that kernel itself was not as well written during that time frame as before and it crashed (consequently, this improved.)

The bad drivers. Yes, you're right, poorly written drivers will bring a good OS down and we've seen it happen very often. This is the main reason why so many have seen the blue screen of death. Microsoft, for better or worse, released the driver development tools in the open for anyone to make drivers. This made many products compatible with windows machines, but introduced vulnerability to the OS since a screwed up driver could bring everything down at the same time. It was a trade-off.

Users. I've noticed that many people (many are my friends) run their windows machines in administrative mode (which would be the equivalent of running a Linux box in root mode.) Ofcourse, this makes your system that much more vulnerable and that increases the odds that some malicious program will crash your OS. For example, since I've started running Windows XP in a mode with normal priviliges, I've yet to get a single virus and it has yet to crash. It's a simple fix that could make everything that much more secure and stable, but most people are too lazy or unaware of this.

I wouldn't say that one could break things down by percentages as to what causes the most stability problems in Windows operating systems, but, imo, those are the 3 main factors.

We hate it when Windows fanboys bash Linux and it is just as bad when Linux fanboys resort to the same tactics.
Here here!

sapo
March 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM
But that is your opinion and does not neccessarily reflect the opinion of the public at large. Besides, how can you know if something sucks when it has not even been made available for purchase yet?
I think that this rule doesnt apply to microsoft products :mrgreen:

Kernel Sanders
March 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Beta tests?

Although their not final polished products, they are a good indication of what is to come.

Kernel Sanders
March 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
To those who want to who are bashing on Windows for simply being Windows, let me say this: my default Kubuntu installs (any of its variants) have been less stable and (thus) more crash-prone than any of my Windows XP installs have ever been. Now, if this will turn into another I hate Microsoft thread, Houston, prepare the Lock.

I think the admins must have a more enhanced thread view than I, because I cant seem to find lots of stupid ms bashing in this thread? :confused:

Why all the warnings? The majority of users seem to be giving both positive and negative views, and given reasons to back them up? :confused:

YourSurrogateGod
March 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I think the admins must have a more enhanced thread view than I, because I cant seem to find lots of stupid ms bashing in this thread? :confused:

Why all the warnings? The majority of users seem to be giving both positive and negative views, and given reasons to back them up? :confused:
Look at it as a warning. Many threads have spiraled out of control when it comes for those that critisize Windows. The line between good, constructive criticism and outright senseless bashing often blurs.

It doesn't surprise me that the mods are saying and that people need to cool down and I agree with them. Lets keep things civil.

Kernel Sanders
March 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Look at it as a warning. Many threads have spiraled out of control when it comes for those that critisize Windows. The line between good, constructive criticism and outright senseless bashing often blurs.

It doesn't surprise me that the mods are saying and that people need to cool down and I agree with them. Lets keep things civil.

Cool down from what? All I can see is a pretty good discussion on everybody's opinions on Windows Vista? Everybody seems to be giving their opinion and backing it up quite well with reason? Thats why i'm confused? :confused:

As far as discussing Windows in a Ubuntu forum goes, I feel that there may be a tendancy to "jump on" this topic a little too quickly, maybe because of experience of previous problems with this topic? I really dont know?

All I can say is that I havent really seen any major MS Bashing in this thread?

John

KiwiNZ
March 14th, 2006, 08:59 PM
The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

I have tried a couple of the Vista beta's and they were ok not great but OK .But thats Beta land.I will hold my judgement until the final product.

After all I have tried a couple of Dapper Alphas and a few Suse Beta's and yikes.

Someone in this thread said that MS are rushing this product out after two years development. If my memory serves me right the road to Vista started back in 2002 .That is a a long development cycle me thinks.

YourSurrogateGod
March 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Someone in this thread said that MS are rushing this product out after two years development. If my memory serves me right the road to Vista started back in 2002 .That is a a long development cycle me thinks.
I think your memory does serve you well.

jimcooncat
March 14th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Vista sucks already? We'll kick it's ***? How about a little (hopefully) constructive criticism of Ubuntu:

1. No System Restore out of the box. This is the safeguard against noobish screwups on Windows. With LVM and a setup like Mondo Rescue, yes we could kick *** here -- we could have a much better System Restore than XP does. But we haven't done it yet, and I've only seen the start of backup systems installed by default.

2. User interface inconsistencies. We've been getting better, Windows programs have been getting worse since Windows 95. Human Interface Guidelines are great. Microsoft devotes huge amounts of resources to the OOBE, and it's a big challenge to match that with a commuity-based distro. Rah rah Ubuntu. But why are there no keys left on the keyboard for my own use???

3. Robust clipboard functionality. Sorry, I can't tell my friend how to copy and paste a graphic from some applications to others. I have a hard time explaining drag and drop over the phone. Does it make a copy or move it? I dunno. Maybe it's too insecure? Then give me an easy way to save and retrieve without having to come up with a filename.

4. Press the button on the CD and it should eject. I see this has been addressed in Automatix, and probably is in Dapper. I should be keeping up better, I know.

joflow
March 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM
One thing I find interesting..is that while windows is moving away from the restarting after every update, Ubuntu is moving towards it.

With Dapper, it prompts to restart after almost every update. Never had that behavior in Breezy.

Bandit
March 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM
One thing I find interesting..is that while windows is moving away from the restarting after every update, Ubuntu is moving towards it.

With Dapper, it prompts to restart after almost every update. Never had that behavior in Breezy.
Huh?? Thats crudy.. You shoudl only have to restart if it has something to do with the Kernel.

YourSurrogateGod
March 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Huh?? Thats crudy.. You shoudl only have to restart if it has something to do with the Kernel.
Depends on the update, if it's modifying the kernel, then it should restart.

Bandit
March 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Depends on the update, if it's modifying the kernel, then it should restart.
Yep thats what I siad :)

YourSurrogateGod
March 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Yep thats what I siad :)
I'm agreeing with you :) .

curuxz
March 14th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I hope dap does not make you restart more, its one of the many things I love about linux is the runlevel system that allows you to keep going after almost any change simply by dropping down and then comming back up, very handy for servers!

A few things I would like to say on whats being discussed here, firstly I realy dont like windows, I dont like it because the last couple of years I did pc repair (dont anymore btw) and I saw so many familys that could bearly afford a pc having to pay to have it fixed because of microsofts greed and lack of care codding their system, I dont care what people have to say against that comment because its a fact..thats where monopolys hit hardest we all know that us geeks can test the latest software for free on the p2p before we deside what to actauly buy and its the people that just want a pc to do honest work and research on that get screwed over.

That said I cant wait for vista! :D:D:D, not that I want to ever use it god forbid but that its going to be fantastic for linux. Firstly the desktops of linux and esp their eye candy is moving faster and faster in the run up to vista than i have ever seen and secondly vista its going to drive so many pissed off customers to linux we wont know what to do with em!, maybe not right away but give it 6 months and the bad PR is going to roll in for MS.

As for the XP bashing in this thread i have to say honestly XP has always been far far far more unstable than my linux systems, apart from the times when i played that doom game where the bad guys represent your kernel...wish i could still find it :(. But anyways xp realy is that bad in my view one of the things I always say when this argument comes up is yes linux crashes sometimes, yes windows crashes sometimes but which one is 120 bucks....go figure.

Swab
March 14th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I can't wait to see the multi-colored Screens of Death! :D

Yeah, great new features such as a transparent screen of death with tabs!

Bandit
March 14th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I'm agreeing with you :) .
ahh.. hehe.. :-D
I can be slow sometimes...

l0c0dantes
March 15th, 2006, 12:12 AM
All I know is this, give me firefox, The correct extensions, and I can make ANY OS crash
:twisted:

mstlyevil
March 15th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I would like to qualify what I meant by bashing. There are legitimate flaws with Windows. I have no problem with people disscussing them in an informed fashion. If you have facts to back up your claim then it is not bashing but it is pointing something that is true. If you are going to make claims about something, you should be able to prove your point. If you are lodging criticism about something with no facts to back it up just to make it look bad, that is bashing.

Now if you have an opinion about something but you are not sure of the actual facts, you should say so by stating that it is just your opinion. There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion as long as you let people know it is just your opinion. The post I were refering to as bashing were just taking pot shots at the expense of Windows without any facts to back them up. The very tone of them suggested they were done out of spite and they offered nothing constructive to the conversation. As Ubuntu users we should try to set ourselves above the fanboys on both sides and take the higher ground.

mstlyevil
March 15th, 2006, 02:57 AM
How is it being rushed? It has been in development for two years now. Ubuntu is released in six month cycles and yet people are not being critical of it being rushed.

Edit: More than two years. (Thanks KiwiNZ)

chaumurky
March 15th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I never got BSOD's on XP until I told it not to reset. I can now get it to bork quite reliably connecting a USB2 device to it in VMWare :p

mstlyevil
March 15th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I never got BSOD's on XP until I told it not to reset. I can now get it to bork quite reliably connecting a USB2 device to it in VMWare :p

I got an easier one. Resize your partition and accidentaly wipe out the MBR. I did this about a month ago.

Jedeye
March 15th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Their stated goal was to have it ready for the holiday shopping season. I originally heard December was the projected release target but if development is ahead of schedule it could very well be November.
this is one gift I will not be giving :)

YourSurrogateGod
March 15th, 2006, 06:29 AM
I got an easier one. Resize your partition and accidentaly wipe out the MBR. I did this about a month ago.
Amateur. I once tried to put an ext3 partition while installing Gentoo over my NTFS partition. You have no idea how much fun it was getting my files back!

trorion
March 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Vista will sell well simply because MS has implied that they will be blocking the ability to view DvD's in XP, 2000, etc etc in order to better protect copyrights. At least that is the rumor at this point.

ComplexNumber
March 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Vista will sell well simply because MS has implied that they will be blocking the ability to view DvD's in XP, 2000, etc etc in order to better protect copyrights. At least that is the rumor at this point. they won't be doing that for XP, 2000, etc. they will be doing that for vista, but not the others.

poofyhairguy
March 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Well.....I was going to force myself to use Vista for a year because I live in the U.S.A and I might need the "skills" to stay competitive (this is MSland).....but now that XGL is around the main reason for any positive attitude for this switch (eye candy) is gone.

I might just buy another computer to put Vista on. Sigh. I HAVE TO learn to use it one day, I will just hate that day.

Mr_J_
March 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM
The main reason I see that people have to change to Vista will be the "Awww!!" factor...
Computers in stores that show Windows Vista will atract people like moths.
'Cause, as we all know, they are making a revolution in terms graphical appearance... Oh! Wait! That's what most people will think...

They'll see all that stuff and go "Awww! Look at that! Wow! Cool!".
Maybe not in that particular order...

So far I've yet to see something that goes beyond the "Awww!!" factor in windows or Linux in this area, and even tho we got there first (AFAIK) the end result is just eye candy.

A few technical issues aren't something most are even going hear about, but out of the three things that you need to have to grab peoples atention 2 are there. One is it's shinny, and the other colourfull. One day perhaps we can have a fluffy desktop...

mstlyevil
March 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM
The main reason I see that people have to change to Vista will be the "Awww!!" factor...
Computers in stores that show Windows Vista will atract people like moths.
'Cause, as we all know, they are making a revolution in terms graphical appearance... Oh! Wait! That's what most people will think...

They'll see all that stuff and go "Awww! Look at that! Wow! Cool!".
Maybe not in that particular order...

So far I've yet to see something that goes beyond the "Awww!!" factor in windows or Linux in this area, and even tho we got there first (AFAIK) the end result is just eye candy.

A few technical issues aren't something most are even going hear about, but out of the three things that you need to have to grab peoples atention 2 are there. One is it's shinny, and the other colourfull. One day perhaps we can have a fluffy desktop...

I thought that was what KDE was for. :twisted:

ComplexNumber
March 17th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I thought that was what KDE was for. :twisted: whats that? a desktop where people can spend their time ogling the eye candy and tweaking without getting any work done? :p j/k

Sirin
March 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM
whats that? a desktop where people can spend their time ogling the eye candy and tweaking without getting any work done? :p j/k

Heh, diehard LINUX FANBOYS despise eye-candy, and it has to look ugly, or else they won't use it.

Hamman
March 18th, 2006, 12:49 AM
MS seem to actually address several important issues(security, stabillity etc), and from a technical viewpoint Vista seems pretty impressive. I've seen numerous people(Windows users too, not just die-hard *nixers) dismiss Vista as "XP reloaded", and I really cant see what they're getting at. The default theme is really ugly though, MS could really learn from Apple's clean designs.
The reason I don't want to use Vista(it's not realistic to think that I will be able to avoid it forever) is all the DRM-crap that MS, MPAA and RIAA are so fond of. I don't like the level of control that a few hardware and software companies will have over me and my computer, so I'll be using a truly free OS on my box, and ATM the best candidate for me is Kubuntu. This isn't just a question of ideology, Kubuntu(and Linux in general) is technically superior in many aspects, which in itself is very impressive.
I wish some people would spend their time promoting the good things about Linux rather than spreading lies about Windows, but I guess some people are in it for the FUD. I'm happy to see that there's a lot of open-minded people here, it hasn't been the case in some Linux forums I've frequented.

ComplexNumber
March 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Heh, diehard LINUX FANBOYS despise eye-candy, and it has to look ugly, or else they won't use it. i don't know what diehard linux fanboys like, but most people want their desktop to look attractive. eye candy does not equate to attractiveness, and is not necessary for a desktop to be attractive.