PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless problem / Empty Hardware Drivers List

s4udem
April 1st, 2010, 03:49 AM
Brand new to Ubuntu. Installed 9.10. Install went smoothly, except, of course, for wireless. Why is wireless always the hardest thing?

If I run from the Live CD, the System->Administration->Hardware Drivers utility will show me a list of drivers. I selected Broadcom STA and activated it, and my wireless worked. Woot! Woot!.

But if I run the installed version from my laptop, the Hardware Drivers utility comes up completely empty. There is nothing for me to choose/activate, and my wireless card does not work.

Any ideas?

JustinR
April 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately, I've had this problem before, with the exact same wireless driver.
After I installed 9.10 I knew I needed an Nvidia and Broadcom STA driver but it didn't show up - but it did in previous 9.10 installations.

It fixed itself after I reinstalled 9.10 but I'm sure you can download the packages from Ubuntu online:

Broadcom Wireless STA Driver:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/broadcom-sta-common

Couldn't find the 9.10 driver online - but if the 10.04 driver doesn't work I still have the original 9.10 driver .deb.

Goodluck!

mcoleman44
April 1st, 2010, 04:12 AM
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
It will be listed under hardware drivers now.

s4udem
April 1st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I did the apt-get update stuff and it worked like a charm.

Back story: I've been struggling with this all week. NDISWrappers. firmware. this that. whatever. Actually re-installed Ubuntu to get a clean slate before posting here. It was an aggravating week and I am very grateful for your help. Laptop now boots in 50 seconds. XP was taking several minutes. I am doing the dance of joy.

leorolla
April 13th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Nice to see a happy newbie post!

After a few weeks of Ubuntu I couldn't even hear the sound of Windows login anymore. After a few months I realized that I was booitng Windows every 20 days, running the scheduled anti-virus scan and tinkering with Wubi. Now Windows is fired for good.

skikir
April 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
It will be listed under hardware drivers now.

Can someone translate this for me? I have the same problem and don't know what he's talking about.

TIA

howefield
April 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Can someone translate this for me? I have the same problem and don't know what he's talking about.

TIA

Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type the following

sudo apt-get update

Enter your password, you won't see it being typed but it is.

Once that has completed, enter the following into the same terminal (although you shouldn't have to, just to get the the hardware drivers)

sudo apt-get upgrade

Finish off with a reboot of your machine, and try System > Administration > Hardware Drivers again.

roundhead
April 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the post. I am also new to Ubuntu and have been searching all week for an answer to the wireless problem. I found this thread the most helpful. I am almost wireless but the icon just runs and runs even though I am right next to the router. It keeps asking for the password and I keep typing it in but the icon just keeps spinning. any ideas? thanks

mcoleman44
April 14th, 2010, 07:36 PM
What drivers were listed when you opened hardware drivers? There were most likely two wirelsess drivers listed.

roundhead
April 14th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks, there was another Broadcom driver B43 listed. I will try to deactivate that. your in the ville? I lived there for 4 years...great city. I live in Cincy now. I will try and repost

roundhead
April 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Now it is only showing the STA driver and no longer can find the B43 driver. but it still does not work...just keeps running

mcoleman44
April 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Do you know what wireless card you have? Did you activate STA or B43?

lspci
That will show you which wireless card you have. It will be listed somewhere near the bottom.
Yeah, I live in the Ville alright, I love it. Do you miss it?

mcoleman44
April 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Did you restart after you deactivated STA?

roundhead
April 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM
actually I activated the B43 first and then the STA (I know very little about computers) but I really like Ubuntu and the forums are great. It looks like "network controller" is Broadcom Corp BCM 4312 but I do not know if that is the card or the router. what is the card called?
Yeah we really miss Louisville...great parks and clean city. great for bicycles and coffee

mcoleman44
April 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Thats the card. Did you restart after you activated the STA? It takes a couple of restarts sometimes.
Does your router have a password? Can you get a connection using ethernet?

roundhead
April 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM
ok I restarted again. I can connect with the ethernet fine. I just wonder if the other driver is still active and in conflict with the STA. I dont know...I may reinstall because now Dell wants the password everytime I start up and the Network manager wants to unlock the keyring everytime. its starting to act kinda funny

mcoleman44
April 14th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Im not really sure what to tell you to be honest, Im hoping someone a little more knowledgeable will join in.

roundhead
April 14th, 2010, 08:18 PM
OK thanks for helping. You got me this far which is bettern than where I was before. I may try to start a new thread to see if that draws some interest. Thanks, enjoy Spring
Stewart

leorolla
April 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Let me see if I got it right.

Now you have wireless ineternet working fine, but what bothers you is that it asks for the password to unlock the keyring everytime you login?