PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing from a USB stick, cannot move to hard drive

awesomeaustin
April 1st, 2010, 12:57 AM
First a little background.. I have a newly built desktop with not disk drive yet. I just put Ubuntu 9.10 onto a flash drive successfully and booted it onto my desktop. It boots up the Installer boot menu and asks me if i want to run Ubuntu from the USB or Save it to hard drive. I select save to hard drive but when i turn the pc off and take out the flashdrive Ubuntu does not stay on the machine? Any suggestions would be awesome.

nerdtron
April 1st, 2010, 04:17 AM
First, select run Ubuntu from USB to boot the desktop and see if all hardware are detected. On the desktop double-click the install icon. The wizard will then guide you through the installation of Ubuntu to your computer's hard drive.
Upon finishing, turn off the computer and remove the flash drive. If all goes well, your pc will be up and running Ubuntu. Goodluck!

mikewhatever
April 1st, 2010, 05:39 AM
First a little background.. I have a newly built desktop with not disk drive yet. I just put Ubuntu 9.10 onto a flash drive successfully and booted it onto my desktop. It boots up the Installer boot menu and asks me if i want to run Ubuntu from the USB or Save it to hard drive. I select save to hard drive but when i turn the pc off and take out the flashdrive Ubuntu does not stay on the machine? Any suggestions would be awesome.

I don't think you can put anything on a non-existing hard drive. Where on the machine do you want Ubuntu to stay? Perhaps the CPU fan?:)

nerdtron
April 1st, 2010, 05:54 AM
woops sorry...I misread it...I thought he meant no CD Drive instead of Hard disk drive..

awesomeaustin
April 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Nerdtron you read it write, sorry for the confusion I did mean that i do not have a "cd drive" that is why i did not just burn the image to a disk. All is well now, I am now a proud Ubuntu owner on my HARD DRIVE lol thanks for the help