PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Minimal Install & Driver

krainboltgreene
March 31st, 2010, 08:22 PM
So I go to install the Minimal Ubuntu edition and get to the ethernet driver selection part and it can't figure out what driver I have (Odd since Ubuntu regular can).

I find it on the list and it doesn't do anything. Any suggestions?

ajgreeny
March 31st, 2010, 09:18 PM
I didn't have to do anything when I installed the minimal install CD two ubuntu versions ago, ie 8.10, and then installed the lxde desktop just to try it out.

Have you got a need to specifically add a driver for your ethernet card, or are you talking about a wireless card or adapter?

krainboltgreene
March 31st, 2010, 09:22 PM
Have you got a need to specifically add a driver for your ethernet card

It refuses to let you continue unless you have an active Ethernet network.

ajgreeny
March 31st, 2010, 09:24 PM
OK, but are you wired or wireless? I was wired when I did it and connected without having to do anything at all.

krainboltgreene
March 31st, 2010, 09:38 PM
Why does it matter if I've got a wireless or wired device? It wont let me get past the step where I need a ethernet device.

krainboltgreene
April 4th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I've decided to install the minimal version of Ubuntu and build my way up. One of the steps to installing the Minimal Ubuntu is that you need a working Ethernet connection. I have that and I have it plugged in when I'm installing Ubuntu.

When it gets to that step it tells me it can't find my Ethernet driver and asks me to pick from a list. I pick the one that matches the one shown below. It blinks and takes me back to the list.

What do I do?

Here's my driver according to lspci:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)
Kernel driver in use: atl1c
Kernel modules: atl1c

krainboltgreene
April 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Ok, the list shows:

atl1
atl1e

But the block of text says "No Ethernet card detected".

krainboltgreene
April 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
So there's no one on this board who might understand the problem?

lisati
April 11th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Threads merged. Having multiple threads open on the same question can be confusing to those trying to help.