PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading to 10.04 Question?

jmate24
March 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hi, I am wondering if I should upgrade to 10.04 9 days before the beta2 release?

I would download an .iso daily build and burn it and do a full wipe and reinstall just so I could clean out the cobwebs.

Is this a good idea?

howefield
March 31st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Is this a good idea?

How can anyone answer that, only you can know what is best for your system.

If your system isn't mission critical and you don't mind potential, maybe even probable breakage, then your choice.

What's the worst that can happen ? A reinstall, assuming your data is safely backed up.

jmate24
April 1st, 2010, 01:48 AM
O.K. I'll do it. (Sorry about the *stupid/dumb* Question.)

And Yes, My data is safely backed up (Including my 100,000+ song library!).

P.S. Always backup your data before doing any upgrading or reinstalling!

Mark Phelps
April 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
I would strongly advise you NOT to upgrade ... primarily because (1) Lucid hasn't even reached the second beta stage yet, and (2) there is no way to roll-back to 9.10 if you encounter problems.

Also, if you do upgrade, please note that while 10.04 is still in testing mode, you should be posting your Lucid-related questions to the testing forum: Development & Programming, Lucid Lynx Testing.

nerdy_kid
April 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
i might end up upgrading to the beta2, you _can_ actually restore your entire current system if you backup the whole drive first (which is what i will do) with

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=externaldrivemountpoint/file.img bs=4M

as long as sda is your drive, that will create a file with the entire drive backed up. Then if something major fries, then you can restore it. you can also pick files off the image.

tlcstat
April 5th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Greetings,
I'm running the Beta on a 16Gig PenDrive and it run better than Karmic on my hard drive. If you are comfortable doing installs I would go for it. It will need close to another 500Meg of updates after the install since they are still making changes. Bluetooth and Wireless and all are a breeze with the 10.04 beta. Of course like they have said its going to be hardware dependent. As for me, I'll take it just like it is. Beats 9.10 by a mountain mile.
Tlcstat
PS I can't find that Development forum that Mark is talking about so until he posts a link I'll keep looking here.

Pablo Pablovski
April 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Greetings,

PS I can't find that Development forum that Mark is talking about so until he posts a link I'll keep looking here.

I'm not him, but here you go:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377

tlcstat
April 5th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks Pablo for the link.
After reading the update information on that thread I think I will wait for the official release to put it on my hard drive. It runs really well on my pendrive but since I'm relatively new to Linux I think I will save myself some trouble and not do the HD install yet.
Thank you Mark and Pablo.
Tlcstat