PDA

View Full Version : One simple reason why Windows > Linux

keep_it_simple_stupid
March 31st, 2010, 07:32 PM
I could probably write a whole book "why Windows is better than Linux", while there's just one single reason why I can't use Ubuntu even if i wanted too(and i sorta want too) and that's not even a matter of preference:

Where is native multimonitor support? 1442595

In windows i just plug in two videocards, three monitors, download ATI drivers, set them up(which basically means a few clicks) and it works! Just works!

In ubuntu there's currently NO WAY to make this work as far as i know. (please, prove me wrong)
And I don't even mind following convoluted installation methods, like editing xorg.conf, etc if it would make it work.

You could probably say the ATI is to blame for not supplying working drivers. The thing is - i don't really care on which side of fence the problem lies. If your car ain't working, what you're saying? That's right - your car sucks and is broken. That's right fellas - linux sucks for this single reason alone.

Of course, i can use it with only one screen - yay, with a feeling of using something gimped and utterly inferior.

B-b-b-but it's free?! If your time is worthless.
And I don't mind paying for something what works. Haven't had problems with windows like EVER.

I'm surprised all the "cool" linux hipsters haven't got even the very basics working.

Now after the latest attempt to make the drivers work with multiple screens, ubuntu boots into a blank screen(no console, just blank screen).

Good riddance.

Bonster
March 31st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Not sure about ur little rant about how windows just works for u. loL then why u even use linux in the 1st place? U say blame linux for ATI problems? knowing full well the ATI linux drivers is not even on the same level as on windows. So does that mean I blame Linux for flash problems made by Adobe also?

keep_it_simple_stupid
March 31st, 2010, 10:36 PM
Not sure about ur little rant about how windows just works for u. loL then why u even use linux in the 1st place? U say blame linux for ATI problems? knowing full well the ATI linux drivers is not even on the same level as on windows. So does that mean I blame Linux for flash problems made by Adobe also?

Causality doesn't change anything for me or any of the end users.

The simple fact remains - multimonitor setup is not working in linux. I don't care who's side of responsibility it is.

ATI is neglecting linux because of its small marketshare, that's reasonable. Which in turn results in lack of multimonitor support in it's proprietary drivers.

However the linux guys still could write an open multimonitor multi-GPU aware drivers or any sort of configuration interface for users with multiple monitors because currently there's none. Nothing of the sort.

Even if you have measly two screens from one GPU, you still most likely need to spend a few hours hacking away at xorg.conf to get it working, especially if you're new at this.

And also i don't blame linux for flash problems, however - that doesn't change anything either - the problem remains and in the end it all amounts to "windows > linux" for people who just need basics working and can't afford to spend hours tinkering around.

Chronon
March 31st, 2010, 10:49 PM
Dude. You launch a tirade 1 day after posting a support question and your second post in the support thread has already jumped the tracks. You are clearly not interested in doing anything but vent. Honestly, I think you're just trolling.

Boondoklife
March 31st, 2010, 10:50 PM
While I can not comment to the multi gpu's, I know that dual output from one card works great even with laptops (no hacking required).

I always love these X is better than Y postings, especially when two different things are compared. How about we compare why a car is better than a truck next!

keep_it_simple_stupid
March 31st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Dude. You launch a tirade 1 day after posting a support question and your second post in the support thread has already jumped the tracks. You are clearly not interested in doing anything but vent. Honestly, I think you're just trolling.

I'm pretty damn sure the support question won't be answered(as in SOLVED).

keep_it_simple_stupid
March 31st, 2010, 10:55 PM
While I can not comment to the multi gpu's, I know that dual output from one card works great even with laptops (no hacking required).

I always love these X is better than Y postings, especially when two different things are compared. How about we compare why a car is better than a truck next!

Both are operating systems. Both are targeted at desktop users, right?
I think it's reasonable to expect native multimonitor support from any of OS which targets desktop PC market. And ubuntu is supposed to be all down-to-earth and user-friendly, right?

It's not a matter of preference here. It's matter of lack of BASIC functionality.

Boondoklife
March 31st, 2010, 11:04 PM
Both are operating systems. Both are targeted at desktop users, right?
I think it's reasonable to expect native multimonitor support from any of OS which targets desktop PC market. And ubuntu is supposed to be all down-to-earth and user-friendly, right?

It's not a matter of preference here. It's matter of lack of BASIC functionality.

Well if we are on the note of basic functionality, then what part of that would include multiple monitors or GPU's? Last time I checked a basic setup was just a box and a monitor.

While you are correct, ubuntu is supposed to be (and by my measure is) down to earth, the fact of the matter is it is FREE! When is the last time you did work for free? I know that this is not an answer to your problem, but due keep in mind with the amount of funding that gets thrown at M$ development and then fact that the market is not too friendly when it comes to drivers for linux.

If you really would like to vent I think ATI would be a better place, as you noted they are lagging is support for linux. This really has nothing to do with windows or linux being better, they both support drivers. It is really up to the hardware people to support it, and if they don't feel they need to maybe you should not support them.

chriswyatt
March 31st, 2010, 11:53 PM
Linux isn't perfect sadly.

I tried multi-monitor support using the NVidia drivers and it was a pain really compared to Windows. One annoying thing that might be fixed now is that it doesn't seem to make the screen you select as the primary screen, the primary screen!!! Annoying as hell, there's a trick to get it to work though. And this is an NVidia issue that's maybe fixed because I haven't checked in ages.

Definitely something that can be improved, I'm just happy NVidia supports Linux :), they could easily have just not bothered.

matthew
March 31st, 2010, 11:59 PM
For what it is worth, I've used a multi-monitor setup for a very long time in Ubuntu and have done so without pain. I plugged in the second monitor, clicked a few buttons, and voila. It has "just worked" for me since 8.10 and still works under 10.04beta1.

For every "this doesn't work and therefore Linux is _____" anecdote, there is generally at least one person who has had the opposite experience.

Suggestion: post a thread asking for help with your specific hardware.