PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does windows 7 install remove my multi boot?

Syncan
March 31st, 2010, 06:26 PM
I plan to clean install Windows 7 on my system ( currently windows XP ).
At the moment I have Windows XP professional together with Linux Ubuntu and I want to keep using Ubuntu.
When I do the clean install for Windows 7 Professional, does it leave the multi-bootloader in place?
If not, what should I do to bring the multiboot-loader back?
I have a CD of Ubuntu 9.10.2.6.31.14. My installed Ubuntu is version 9.10.2.6.31.18.

sxmaxchine
March 31st, 2010, 06:30 PM
i think if you install win7 into the xp partition you should still be able to use ubuntu however it might remove the grub bootloader and replace it with the microsoft version. not to sure this correct as i have never installed 7 and also have always installed windows before ubuntu.

Random_Dude
March 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM
I did something similar (remove Vista and install 7) and Grub disappeared without being replaced for other bootloader.
There is a way of bringing Grub back on, but I was too lazy so I just installed Ubuntu again.:biggrin:

Syncan
March 31st, 2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks both of you for the quick response :)
I have done a lot of work to install all things in linux that I wanted and it would be a shame if I loose all of it again. I will not gamble with it, so I think it's a better idea to wait if somebody else knows how to bring back grub after installing.

oldfred
March 31st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Windows will only overwrite the MBR.

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

If you install to a new partition it will combine its boot with XP, then when you delete XP it will also delete win7 boot files. So be sure to install to the XP partition. It should not even see the linux partitions. Only wubi users would also lose the Ubuntu install.

Of course with any system changes, you should have good backups of important information.

Syncan
March 31st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Thank you. Yes I will clean install Windows 7 in place of my current Windows XP.
If I understand it correctly, after installing Windows 7, my bootloader will be gone and then I should boot from my Ubuntu disk and do what that article says:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Is that correct? Sorry, I am not very skillful in Linux... :)

oldfred
March 31st, 2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, If you did a clean install of Karmic be sure to follow the instructions for grub2.
If you have an upgrade then you have grub legacy (0.97) and follow those directions.