PDA

View Full Version : How good and realistic "Star Trek: TOS" is compared to Star Trek DS9?

legolas_w
March 31st, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi,

So far I watched Star trek DS9 and I am planning to watch another series of this title.

I am wondering how good and realistic the TOS is compared to DS9. Does it have lots of action scenes?

What is the main storyline of the series, are there alien attack on our sector?

Thanks.

purgatori
March 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM
What do you mean by 'realistic'?

lisati
March 31st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Don't forget that TOS was made many years before DS9. Some of the options available for the special effects department when DS9 was made weren't available back in the 1960s.

Edit: Side note: Although not everyone's favourite episode, the makers of DS9 used footage from the TOS episode "The trouble with tribbles" when they made the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribbleations". You might find comparing the episodes interesting.

cariboo
March 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM
As far as i remember even when TOS was first on TV it wasn't very realistic. Special effects have come a long way in the last 40 years. I personally can't watch it any more because of the bad effects.

trideceth12
March 31st, 2010, 06:43 PM
When I first watched TNG when I was a kid, I thought the effects and "realism" was soooo much better than the original, but now it looks pretty similar... funny how your perception changes.

Anyway if all you've seen is DS9, watch TNG

Cuddles McKitten
March 31st, 2010, 06:44 PM
DS9 and TNG were more dramatic than the original. The original was mostly about "What if..." whereas the others were more about the characters in the middle of the "What if..." situation.

You might want to watch TNG also. That'll be less of a jump from DS9 to TOS.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 31st, 2010, 06:45 PM
TOS (and TNG) weren't really about the effects at all; they didn't corrupt themselves as such ;)

thegreenblob
March 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
The main story of TOS is "to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Basically each episode is one mission, they do it, and they go to the next. You could really watch the series out of order if you wanted to.

And it's not really "realistic" at all, but neither is DS9, if you mean special effects, well they're not that great but they were probably good for the time period in which is was made.

I personally think it's still perfectly watchable and a great series. But if you're looking for something more like DS9, you should go with TNG.

oldos2er
March 31st, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hi,

So far I watched Star trek DS9 and I am planning to watch another series of this title.

I am wondering how good and realistic the TOS is compared to DS9. Does it have lots of action scenes?

I guess I should accept the fact that there are people who've never seen ST TOS, but that's difficult. :)

TOS never had much of a budget, and each season had less of a budget than the ones previous. It really wasn't about special effects, it was story- and character-driven. In the midst of the Cold War, it showed there could be a bright future. In other words, you have to watch TOS with 1960s eyes, if possible.

johnb820
March 31st, 2010, 07:17 PM
You have to watch the original series in order because the character development is so integral. Throughout the series, while there was no continuity between stories, the characters definitely had continuity. And what's best is seeing the actors really get into those characters the writers provided. Their interactions are a work of genius and as oldos2er mentioned, Star Trek had a lot of messages that television shows rarely talk about.

Firefly, for what it's worth, is really a continuation of Star Trek TOS except updated to talk about modern day issues with a larger cast.

LowSky
March 31st, 2010, 07:24 PM
You know what I never understood, why did the shirt colors change from show to show?

Original series yellow is command
Next gen it was red.

Star wars is so much better.... flame suit ON!

doas777
March 31st, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hi,

Thanks.
they are very differant types of stories. DS9 is a serial, where many eps rely on events of previous eps to establish the current story. STOS is almost completely episodic however, and you coul dwatch the last ep just before the first one, and not even notice (except tht the last one is a terrible ep; Kirks psycho ex girlfriend takes over the ship).
also STOS is very campy. it's an spaghetti western, but in space.

In order of personal preference:
DS9
TNG
STV
STE
STOS

Movies:
2/3/4
There is no rule 6 (er i mean movie #5)

Kimm
March 31st, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'd say watch Voyager (voyager came after DS9), especially if you want a show with a bit more action and decent special effects

ve4cib
March 31st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hi,

Thanks.

In terms of realism... neither is more or less realistic than the other, given that they're both flights of sci-fi-fueled fantasy. Arguably DS9 is more realistic since its brand of pseudo-science is based on more recent real science, but such a point is debatable at best. DS9 certainly looks more realistic, but that's a product of ~40 years of advances in special effects.

The original films (2-6, but especially 2 and 6) I think reflect a more realistic attitude towards Starfleet as a military organization. They frequently use naval terms (like "right full rudder" and "ship to shore communications"), and they have random announcements over the intercom that start with "Now hear this, now here this...." They even have enlisted personnel all over the place, instead of just a token red-shirt who gets shot. The red and black uniforms of movies 2-6 are also (IMO) a much more plausible-looking uniform for a semi-military organization to wear; they look like nice dress uniforms, not pyjamas.

TOS has what could be described as "action sequences". Many of them involve Captain Kirk being involved in fisticuffs with random aliens, and his shirt will invariably get torn. The choreography is awkward, the special effects for phasers and worse, and it's all a very campy, fun experience because of this. Ship-to-ship combat is not nearly as cool to watch as the Dominion War shots.

TOS does not have a grand, overall story arc. Each episode is essentially a stand-alone story, as opposed to DS9 with the Emmisary, Maquis, and Dominion War multi-season arcs.

What TOS does have that DS9 did not (as much) is a high quota of social commentary. TOS is a sci-fi show about politics and life in the 1960s. For example, there's an episode about the civil rights movement with aliens coloured white on one side and left on the other. Naturally the ones who are white on the left want to enslave and/or kill the ones who are white on the right. Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country (the 6th film) is essentially about the end of the Cold War; the Klingons and the Federation formally end hostilities, but have to overcome conservative factions within each other who would see the war continue, or see the other side wiped out at any cost. (Interestingly enough, ST6 was released at about the same time as the USSR collapsed, despite having been written and filmed before that event happened.)

Star Trek: The Next Generation is my favourite of the series. Like TOS it has lots of socio-political commentary (including episodes about gay rights, the nature of terrorism/"illegal combatants"/torture, medical ethics, etc...). But it's also got killer multi-episode arcs, like The Best of Both Worlds (season 3/4 finale/pilot featuring the Borg).

There isn't a single grand overall arc to TNG; like TOS it's mostly composed of stand-alone episodes, but there are several instances where one episode/character refers to something from an earlier one. The episodes "I, Borg" and "Descent" are a good example of that.

In terms of "realism" and "scientific accuracy" I think TNG is also the best of the bunch. The acting (from season 3 on) is the best of any of the series, and the writers actually listened to their scientific consultants, instead of just doing whatever sounded cool and assuming the audience was too stupid to care that they spat in the face of science. Things like the Heisenberg Compensator were invented for the sole purpose of dealing with scientific accuracy in a completely imaginary, made-up setting.

As for alien attacks on Starfleet, TNG has two major Borg invasions. There's the Battle of Wolf 359 (seen briefly in the pilot of DS9), and the Battle of Sector 001 (seen at the beginning of Star Trek: First Contact). 001 is awesome and is the first on-screen appearance of several ships later seen during the Dominion War.

Finally, as one last piece of encouragement to get you to watch TNG, both Chief O'Brien and Worf were characters on TNG. So if you liked those characters and want to see more of them TNG is the way to go. (O'Brien is a very minor character in TNG though.) There's also a brief cross-over episode of TNG that takes place on Deep Space 9.