PDA

View Full Version : Newby need help Reinstalling Ubuntu 9.04

moes
March 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM
I just got a new netbook with Win XP. I want to dual boot with Ubuntu.

I have installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 3 times. I don't like how I did it. I constantly get a prompt when I try to save something or install software that I am out of space. I guess I made the partition to small. I'm not very knowledgeable about partitions, but I don't want to lose harddrive space.

I believe the last install was on sda 8. I was hoping the partition part of the installer would allow me to just reformat partitions, but it seems to keep just adding on. So I think I have added so many partitions that the partition screen runs off the edge of the screen. All I see on screen is about half of the "quit" button and I can't get to the forward button. Can I go into Windows and just delete the partitions and start over.

Grub shows the 3 Ubuntu modes, then 2 Win XP modes then the 2 previous Ubuntu installs. I can start both XP and Ubuntu fine.

Any ideas as to what would be the easiest way to proceed. Windows will be my main OS. I just want to play with Ubuntu. I am not confortable updating my BIOS, so I believe 9.04 UNR is the best fit.

Dave

mikewhatever
March 31st, 2010, 07:05 PM
The partitioning program does allow removing partitions if you pick the advanced option. I suggest you delete all Ubuntu related partitions and then use the unallocated space to reinstall.