PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Router has lights for both Internet and broadband!

Rytron
March 31st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hi.
I notice that my router has lights for both Internet and Broadband. It also has lights for Ethernet & wireless.

Why are there lights for both Internet and Broadband? Surely these two are the same thing?

2hot6ft2
March 31st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hi.
I notice that my router has lights for both Internet and Broadband. It also has lights for Ethernet & wireless.

Why are there lights for both Internet and Broadband? Surely these two are the same thing?
I guess the real question is why does your router have a light for both Internet and Broadband?
Perhaps if you were on dialup it would only light the Internet light and not the Broadband.
That would be Internet, but not Broadband.
Mine doesn't have a Broadband light, it has Power, 4 Ethernet lights for the 4 Ethernet ports, Internet, Wireless, and Security.

Iowan
March 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM
You didn't mention what kind of router (doesn't really matters - just curious :) )
(This should make you laugh...) Does the owners manual mention what the lights are supposed to do?

Rytron
April 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM
You didn't mention what kind of router (doesn't really matters - just curious :) )
(This should make you laugh...) Does the owners manual mention what the lights are supposed to do?

Thomson TG585 v7 Router.
No, the manual doesn't explain it.

TBABill
April 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Having been a technician at one point working on DSL, it is most likely the labeling is just odd. Normally you have a "sync" light to let you know your ADSL modem is synchronized with either the central office (Telephone company office where your dialtone and DSL are generated) or the remote terminal somewhere near your neighborhood. The other light would be an "activity" light or something similar, meaning there is actual data transmitting besides the ping/sync signals. If your computer is idle and the modem is not transferring data, does one go steady and the other flicker?

lisati
April 1st, 2010, 06:25 PM
Thomson TG585 v7 Router.

See the attachment for what the manual for mine says.

Mine was a "freebie" from my ISP. The box reckoned there was a user manual, but it was sadly missing. I ended up getting a copy from the manufacturer's web site.

TBABill
April 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Look here: http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161 for info on your router. I clicked on Documentation>End user documentation (English)

Broadband LED is for synchronization and the Internet LED is for Internet activity. They are multi-colored LEDs and the doc goes a bit more in depth to what each color signifies. Hope that helps.

cascade9
April 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Thomson TG585 v7 Router.

The manual does explain it, IMO.

I agree with TBABill, its just odd labeling.

"broadband" = Snyc (on most other ADSL modems).
Internet is the same on the modem I have.

Its because its possible to be synced to the exchange , but not connected to the internet- like if you havent put in the username/password, or used the wrong username/password.

BTW, in my case (not sure about all others) neither the Sync or Internet lights blink during normal operation. (the port I am connected to on the modem/router does the blinking).

Rytron
April 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys. That is clear now.