PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why do I get so pissed off everytime I try to network my computers.

xl_cheese
March 31st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Over the last few years as I've used ubuntu I've attempted to network or remote desktop. Only do I need to do this a few times a year. EVERYTIME I try this it doesn't work and I spend hours trying to figure it out.

Every resource on the web shows how easy it's supposed to be. Share a folder on one ubuntu machine, share a folder on another ubuntu machine and presto instant networking. It's never worked like that for me.

Why is it I can remote desktop to a machine, but not see it in the network folder?

Why is it I can set it up and get it all working and then half a year later I have to go through all the same headaches. Does upgrading the distro throw everything off?

From one computer I can see one of my windows laptops, but it gives errors trying to connect.

This has become a sore spot for me.

pdc
March 31st, 2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah; I hate it when it happens to me too

Schitso
March 31st, 2010, 07:19 PM
If you're using NetBIOS names, do you have winbind installed? Have you tried using zeroconf?

Iowan
March 31st, 2010, 09:38 PM
"Networking" is pretty straightforward - "Sharing" (especially Samba)... not so much. I pretty much understood it back around Gutsy, but it seems to have evolved a bit since then. Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) is my favorite Windows-sharing How-To - you've probably already seen it (maybe memorized it ;) )

theozzlives
March 31st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Recently I've tried to access shares using SAMBA from Jaunty up. It's borked up right now. If you type:

smb://ipaddress/
you can access your shares.

Schitso
March 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM
Recently I've tried to access shares using SAMBA from Jaunty up. It's borked up right now. If you type:

smb://ipaddress/
you can access your shares.

Try smb://hostname.local/ (if you're trying to access another Ubuntu box)

theozzlives
March 31st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Try smb://hostname.local/ (if you're trying to access another Ubuntu box)

Right now SAMBA is not resolving names.

Schitso
March 31st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Right now SAMBA is not resolving names.

Using the smb prefix forces nautilus to resolve hostnames using samba? That's a zeroconf name.

theozzlives
March 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM
Using the smb prefix forces nautilus to resolve hostnames using samba? That's a zeroconf name.

I'm torn, the problem is either SAMBA or Nautilus. I can only access shares by ip. Even printers.

Schitso
March 31st, 2010, 10:33 PM
I'm torn, the problem is either SAMBA or Nautilus. I can only access shares by ip. Even printers.

Can you ping it? Perhaps your multicast route isn't set (for zeroconf). There's certainly a large number of variables when it comes to networking. :P

Edit: Hm. Kinda hijacking the thread. Sorreh.

theozzlives
March 31st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Can you ping it? Perhaps your multicast route isn't set (for zeroconf). There's certainly a large number of variables when it comes to networking. :P

Edit: Hm. Kinda hijacking the thread. Sorreh.

yeah, I hate it when it happens to me... started out trying to help the OP.