PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel Issues

biles
March 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Does anyone have a kernel that supports Atheros network cards? I am using ASUS EEE PC netbooks and none of the kernels I have access to have drivers installed for the NICs. I am having issues when I try to build my own kernel and maybe someone has a precompiled one? Either that or if someone has a basic, step-by-step guide to building your own custom kernel. This is my first time building a kernel and I am kind of lost. This isn't actually for running Ubuntu I will be using it in an imaging program called FOG. I just need a kernel that will support these NICs so I am able to do some imaging. Thank you for any help :)

ajgreeny
March 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Lots of kernels support some Atheros cards, but it will depend on the particular card you have. Certainly kernels from 9.04 and 9.10 support the AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter in my wife's laptop.

biles
March 31st, 2010, 03:47 PM
I need to drivers to be preinstalled and they are for the ethernet card not the wireless.

Slim Odds
March 31st, 2010, 03:52 PM
I have a pretty new laptop that has an Atheros gigabit network adaptor and it works fine with 10.04 (though I'm pretty sure that it has been supported for a while).

biles
April 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Is there a way to tell which kernel you are using? like kitchensink, karmic, etc...

Slim Odds
April 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Is there a way to tell which kernel you are using? like kitchensink, karmic, etc...

the program called "uname" will tell you that

you probably want the -r option