View Full Version : [SOLVED] VPN connected! How to access folders and files?

March 31st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I am trying to setup vpn to access folders and files from my school. VPN is connected now through networkmanager, but I don't know how to actually gain access to the folders on the school server.

Is it through nautilus? Or the "Connect to Server"?
The school provides addresses that begins with \\.. something, and I have tried typing it in to nautilus and the "Connect to Server" but it fails to connect.

I have googled this but all I find is how to connect to vpn manually or through networkmanager, and not how I then can access the folders on the server.

Any help or directions to somewhere I can find information about this is appreciated.

April 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Well, problem solved by using windows in vmplayer instead.

I have seen so many others in different forums asking questions like mine here, without finding any real solution other than using windows.

Maybe we are asking the wrong questions? If that is the case, then a hint to somewhere the answer might be in some documentation or something would be great.

I have read the ubuntu community documents, the archlinux wiki, the gentoo documentation, and numerous other guides and forums, but did not find a solution.
Of course the solution may have been there in one of these places without me recognizing it.

I would really like to learn how this works, so I can make it work without a "windows workaround".
So any ideas are really appreciated.

April 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
I use VPN to connect to my windows machine at home while traveling. After the vpn connects I use the option places -> connect to server, chose windows share and type in the ip address of the machine.
Then I can browse the shared files with nautilus.

March 17th, 2011, 03:14 AM
In the nautilus address bar I just type in smb://machineaddress then it shows the shares.

April 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM

I just saw your answer now, and it works....
Thanks again