PDA

View Full Version : Will my Laptop Erupt into Flames?

The Real Dave
March 31st, 2010, 11:03 AM
My laptop charger is bust. The little connection just doesn't connect anymore. :(

Luckily, I happened across a replacement charger, for a similar model. But it's slightly different. The original charger has an output of 19V 3.95A, but the new one is 19V 3.42A.

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but will using this charger damage the laptop? :(

aklo
March 31st, 2010, 11:09 AM
I have no idea but i'll be very cautious if i were you...i don't want to see on the news "Laptop explode and victim got 1/2 his face burnt"

Just like illegal handphone battery...they explode in your pants...

Chronon
March 31st, 2010, 11:09 AM
You might burn out the charger if it doesn't have a high enough current rating. The circuit will only draw a certain power at the rated voltage. If the power supply is not capable of sourcing enough current/power then it could burn out.

seenthelite
March 31st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Laptop no flames, charger maybe, I advise you to look for a charger with the same rating for the current, (amps). More is not a problem it will only use the current it requires.

Shpongle
March 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Dave, have you tried ebay ? , i had to get a new charger a while back it worked out at about 20e cand some shops wanted 60e for it.

The Real Dave
March 31st, 2010, 02:53 PM
Dave, have you tried ebay ? , i had to get a new charger a while back it worked out at about 20e cand some shops wanted 60e for it.

An identical model can be bought on Ebay, but I need it sooner than it'll arrive.

Looks like I'll just have to get the right one and wait. Thanks to all those who posted, and probably saved my laptop :)