PDA

View Full Version : Compiz (blings) is underestimated!! (Switiching story)

Quake
March 31st, 2010, 06:47 AM
I converted a few of my friends to Linux JUST because of one thing... the cube. One was so amazed that he removed Windows and installed Ubuntu. He then converted his family and friends.

So I have to say that Compiz is one of important component in a Desktop Linux. Think of it as a marketing campaign. A picture is worth a thousand word. Which I was I think Ubuntu's new theme will only make the distro more popular.

The average joe doesn't care about what's underneath. If it works like it is suspected then... he'll continue on using it.

That's my 2 cents, btw, Civil discussion please!

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 31st, 2010, 06:49 AM
I agree that Compiz is underrated. However, I use it for productivity enhancing things. It is easier for me to use the applicaton switcher, ring switcher, and expose than to use the tools provided by just the Gnome desktop alone.

k33bz
March 31st, 2010, 06:53 AM
Just remember though, not everyone likes the fancy stuff compiz can do. Also compiz can slow computers down, so it can actually work against itself as a marketing ploy

swoll1980
March 31st, 2010, 07:09 AM
Also the novelty factor wares off. When I got my cube working 3 years ago it was the coolest thing in the world. I haven't used it in three years.

speedwell68
March 31st, 2010, 07:09 AM
I agree that Compiz is underrated. However, I use it for productivity enhancing things. It is easier for me to use the applicaton switcher, ring switcher, and expose than to use the tools provided by just the Gnome desktop alone.

It sounds like you use it pretty much like I do. I touch type and extensively use keyboard shortcuts, when you are working with multiple windows it really is an aid, rather than just eye candy. That said, I am guilty of using things like the cube and wobbly windows to impress MS users.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 31st, 2010, 07:25 AM
It sounds like you use it pretty much like I do. I touch type and extensively use keyboard shortcuts, when you are working with multiple windows it really is an aid, rather than just eye candy. That said, I am guilty of using things like the cube and wobbly windows to impress MS users.
Yeah, I generally use it for productivity. Oddly enough the wobbly windows, etc make my system look worse. For some reason, with many themes, it looks like the window decoration is tearing horizontally right where it meets the menu bar when I use those features, the cube included.

I don't know what the reason for that is. I have an Nvidia graphics card that handles things nicely in Linux (besides that annoyance). It runs games like Mass Effect 2 without hiccup in windows.

NoaHall
March 31st, 2010, 07:41 AM
I converted a few of my friends to Linux JUST because of one thing... the cube. One was so amazed that he removed Windows and installed Ubuntu. He then converted his family and friends.

So I have to say that Compiz is one of important component in a Desktop Linux. Think of it as a marketing campaign. A picture is worth a thousand word. Which I was I think Ubuntu's new theme will only make the distro more popular.

The average joe doesn't care about what's underneath. If it works like it is suspected then... he'll continue on using it.

That's my 2 cents, btw, Civil discussion please!

You give someone a shiny ball. You then try and explain to someone about the concepts of communism. They play with the ball all the time, and don't fully listen to what you say. Next, you overthrow the government and replace it with your own. Within a month, that someone is fed up and confused, and leaves the country.

speedwell68
March 31st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I generally use it for productivity. Oddly enough the wobbly windows, etc make my system look worse. For some reason, with many themes, it looks like the window decoration is tearing horizontally right where it meets the menu bar when I use those features, the cube included.

I don't know what the reason for that is. I have an Nvidia graphics card that handles things nicely in Linux (besides that annoyance). It runs games like Mass Effect 2 without hiccup in windows.

I don't actually use wobbly windows, you understand. I just turn it on to make the MS users go 'OOOH' and 'AAAH'.:D

Psumi
March 31st, 2010, 02:54 PM
I can't use compiz on my current system; so yeah... I couldn't convert anyone because of that.

No, I converted to linux because it's free (most of the distros anyway) and because it can be less hoggy than windows.

eyecandy shouldn't be the main reason ANYONE converts to linux; especially since compiz is incompatible with mutter/clutter, which is the compositor for GNOME Shell.

Besides, compiz hasn't had an update in quite some time.

detroit/zero
March 31st, 2010, 03:47 PM
Heck yeah! And the way you can paint fire on the screen, or have an aquarium inside your cube when you switch desktops..

I can't even begin to describe the ways in which wobbly windows have boosted my productivity.

Frogs Hair
March 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Also the novelty factor wares off. When I got my cube working 3 years ago it was the coolest thing in the world. I haven't used it in three years.

I agree, I would love to have cube at school or work but they dont use Linux. At home, I find little need for more than one desk top at a time. I am Linux green-bean
and never new about Compiz when I installed 9.10

Psumi
March 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
I agree, I would love to have cube at school or work but they dont use Linux. At home, I find little need for more than one desk top at a time. I am Linux green-bean
and never new about Compiz when I installed 9.10

Compiz has been installed by default since 7.10 or 7.04

Frogs Hair
March 31st, 2010, 05:30 PM
Compiz has been installed by default since 7.10 or 7.04

Correct, but I was unaware of that when I decided to try ubuntu Compiz was not a factor
in my choice.

Quake
March 31st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Btw, I didn't say that compiz was the ONLY factor why he switch but it grabbed his eye to Linux.

I then told him what's the purpose of ubuntu and why it's free. At first he didn't understand the meaning of open-source, but then he got fond of the idea.

I'm just saying that sometimes, eye candy attracts users and you retain them by how things work.

Frogs Hair
April 1st, 2010, 01:12 AM
Btw, I didn't say that compiz was the ONLY factor why he switch but it grabbed his eye to Linux.

I then told him what's the purpose of ubuntu and why it's free. At first he didn't understand the meaning of open-source, but then he got fond of the idea.

I'm just saying that sometimes, eye candy attracts users and you retain them by how things work.

Anything that makes people get excited about Ubuntu is great ! I was in agreement with a person that
said the novelty of such applications subsides . I also said I'd love to have some of those features at work or school , I have four people trying ubuntu via Wubi because thats how I got started, weather they decide to do full installs is unknown , but thats four people who wouldn't have tried.

AllRadioisDead
April 1st, 2010, 02:06 AM
That's a stupid reason to install Ubuntu IMO.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 1st, 2010, 02:41 AM
That's a stupid reason to install Ubuntu IMO.
I think it's stupid for someone that doesn't know Linux to install it for that reason, because they're going blindly into an OS just for some shiny. However, if a person already knew Linux and used it solely because of the shiny, I wouldn't say that was stupid. I'd say it was choice.

ceelo
April 1st, 2010, 02:53 AM
I use Compiz, but not much more than the default "Normal" settings that Ubuntu pre-configures. The cube/fire/wobbly windows etc lose their charm after a bit. But I do like the minimize/close animations, adds a bit of "life" to the interface.

Quake
April 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
For me, Scale is the best thing. If you have a lot of windows you want to close, use scale and close the one you want.

What's good about linux is the diversity.

JDShu
April 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Say what you want about Macs, but the function to spread windows across your desktop to choose from is very useful, and compiz does that. In addition, I've mapped another function key to switch to windows that want attention (great for IMs), one for Expo, and one to show desktop. In addition, wobbly windows actually make my desktop feel more natural, somehow. The cutomizability is great for average computer noobs like me :D

schauerlich
April 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Heck yeah! And the way you can paint fire on the screen, or have an aquarium inside your cube when you switch desktops..

I can't even begin to describe the ways in which wobbly windows have boosted my productivity.

I added compiz so I could be productive too. Too bad my wifi still doesn't work.

Quake
April 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think detroit/zero was sarcastic. But Compiz can indeed be productive. I've disabled all the necessary animations such as the wobbly windows... and concentrated only on the options that boots my productivity.

Also, I find the desktop portions more smooth since it's GPU accelerated rather than CPU accelerated.

Nickedynick
April 2nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
I think Compiz is a pretty overlooked piece of Ubuntu's default install. Sure, the cube and writing with fire are useless, but things like expo and scale really do help my workflow from day to day. Also, since 64 bit flash tends to be dodgy, using the zoom functionality is a nice workaround to full screen videos.

The only notable extension that I always turn on that isn't useful is wobbly windows. However that really doesn't get in the way, and I find it makes Ubuntu that bit nicer an environment to be in.

Quake
April 2nd, 2010, 11:21 PM
In my opinion, they should install CompizConfig Settings Manager by default or someone should create an interface easier to configure for the average user. Because as of now, a lot won't discover it power until they read these forums.