PDA

View Full Version : helping new users

toyoracer
March 31st, 2010, 04:04 AM
After alot of searching google and here I found a solution to what appears to be a very common question: Setting up duel screens
mine is nvidia but may apply to ati as well.

Why is this such a problem for ubuntu I have been using xp and switching to tv was very straight forward. I have no problem with the way separate x screen works, but in such a round about way to find an answer. For a new user trying ubuntu out it is frustrating.

This is what solved my problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6050055&postcount=3

So can this become a sticky?

Also is there a PDF or book that has terminal commands and meanings, so I can get a better understanding of how to use Ubuntu. Learning a second language is hard to remember. Thank you I really like this os so far.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2010, 04:10 AM
Ubuntu doesn't even use xorg.conf anymore I don't think. At least it doesn't seem to.

toyoracer
March 31st, 2010, 04:16 AM
Ubuntu doesn't even use xorg.conf anymore I don't think. At least it doesn't seem to.

Oh. what am I using or should be using? My tv works now though.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2010, 04:17 AM
Oh. what am I using or should be using? My tv works now though.

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

toyoracer
March 31st, 2010, 04:20 AM
9.10 geforce4 mx420 P4 1.7

swoll1980
March 31st, 2010, 04:22 AM
Wow I learn something new everyday. I didn't think the newer versions still used xorg.conf but if your using 9.10 then that theory of mine is shot to hell.

toyoracer
March 31st, 2010, 04:28 AM
With out those two lines from that post I could not get it to work. Now though It does not appear to go back to just monitor. Not a big deal I think since it is on video one tv. Leave comp on 24/7 but I think it's okay?

marshmallow1304
March 31st, 2010, 04:30 AM
Wow I learn something new everyday. I didn't think the newer versions still used xorg.conf but if your using 9.10 then that theory of mine is shot to hell.

From what I understand, they don't by default but if you use one, it will be honored.

_h_
March 31st, 2010, 04:33 AM

If I remember reading correctly, ubuntu since Hardy? hasn't supplied an xorg.conf prepackaged. The user would manually have to configure it themselves in order to create it and use it.

toyoracer
March 31st, 2010, 04:38 AM
What then do you use? Can I use it with this oooold system? And if so I am willing to give it a shot this is a learning experience for me so how would I stop xorg and start the new one?

Also any info on Q 2 ?

swoll1980
March 31st, 2010, 04:43 AM
What then do you use? Can I use it with this oooold system? And if so I am willing to give it a shot this is a learning experience for me so how would I stop xorg and start the new one?

Also any info on Q 2 ?

It still uses xorg it just configures it a different way automatically. I'm not sure how it works because it does such a good job I've never had to mess with it.

NightwishFan
March 31st, 2010, 04:44 AM
Yes, it just does not "require" a xorg.conf. Sometimes it is still needed for rare setups. I used it to enable or disable some intel features.

toyoracer
March 31st, 2010, 04:49 AM
Maybe because of having to use older driver. Anything on terminal commands, I would like a better understanding to learn.