PDA

View Full Version : Mythbuntu 9.10

turtle02
March 31st, 2010, 03:57 AM
I have had 9.10 installed on my compaq s5100nx on a ide HDD and everything works fine.

I am upgrading to a 1TB sata HDD I have a VIA 6421 pci sata controller with 1 sata hdd plugged into it.

When i load mythbuntu 9.10 to install it says sata port io error. when the installer loads and i get to the partition screen it sees my entire drive and i get the option to format the entire drive. I pick that option and fill out the rest of the installers 10 questions. When mythbuntu starts installing it gets to like 5% on formatting the drive and stays there, i have left my machine on for days and the installer never gets any further. So I ask is there any fixes or work arounds or any more info needed? Thanks

SiHa
March 31st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Not exactly an answer, but a suggestion.
What quite a lot of people like to do (myself included) is have separate drives for the OS and media. This makes re-installs a whole lot easier, especially if you backup your database to this drive as well.
The way I have it is the install on the IDE drive, and mount the 1TB drive at /var/lib/mythtv, with all the myth subfolders (recordings, music, livetv etc.) on the root of the extra drive.

turtle02
April 1st, 2010, 02:34 AM
I think that is what i will do but i cannot get mythbuntu to recognize that drive until i get it formatted and gparted still willnot format the drive it is having communications problems

SiHa
April 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM
Sounds more like a hardware/driver problem with your SATA card. Perhaps you'd be better off posting in the hardware (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=332) forum.

4dognight
April 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Also, beware there is a bug in gparted with 2.6 kernels. You need to get .51 or later version.9.10 ships with .45 I believe. I doubt this is your problem, but just letting you know.