PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Permission denied problem. Bug?

ArtemNY
March 31st, 2010, 03:50 AM
Reinstalled a fresh copy of Ubuntu 9.10.

Accordingly to the official manual installed LAMP.

Using:

sudo tasksel install lamp-serverLast step is to change my ip in my.cnf.

Opened it with the command terminal.
Tried both:

nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf
and

$ sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Changed my ip.

Tried to save and:

Error writing /etc/mysql/my.cnf: Permission deniedTried to manually open my.cnf, change my ip and save it and:

Could not save the file /etc/mysql/my.cnf.
You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.
I didn't install anything before that, not even updates.
Just installed LAMP on a fresh copy of Ubuntu.

Is this a bug or what?

ArtemNY
March 31st, 2010, 04:12 AM
Can it be possibly a broken Ubuntu? Maybe it's been downloaded with mistakes?

gmargo
March 31st, 2010, 04:48 PM
What are the permissions on the file and directory? Even if you're root (via sudo), if the file is read-only, most editors won't overwrite it. What does "ls -la /etc/mysql/" say?

ArtemNY
March 31st, 2010, 05:58 PM
What are the permissions on the file and directory? Even if you're root (via sudo), if the file is read-only, most editors won't overwrite it. What does "ls -la /etc/mysql/" say?
That's what I'm trying to learn.

It says:

total 32
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2010-03-31 12:53 .
drwxr-xr-x 133 root root 12288 2010-03-31 12:53 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-03-31 12:53 conf.d
-rw------- 1 root root 333 2010-03-31 12:53 debian.cnf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1198 2010-02-08 18:56 debian-start
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3632 2009-10-07 11:44 my.cnf

What does that mean? I mean I got it, these all are permissions to files and folder, but why the installation can not overwrite the permission even with sudo?
I reinstalled Ubuntu again with 64-bit but the problem is not fixed.

gmargo
March 31st, 2010, 06:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with the permissions. I've no idea why you couldn't write to that file. Can I suggest confusion or too much beer? :p Just kidding. Try sudo nano again or try another editor like sudo vim (maybe you have a strange nano setup?)

ArtemNY
March 31st, 2010, 07:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with the permissions. I've no idea why you couldn't write to that file. Can I suggest confusion or too much beer? :p Just kidding. Try sudo nano again or try another editor like sudo vim (maybe you have a strange nano setup?)
Beer can never be too much :p
No it's not a beer...

I reinstalled Ubuntu several times. Used 32 abd 64 bit. Tried to run LAMP installation before and after updates installed. Nothing helps. NOTHING!

Can it be possible some windows-linux confusion? I know I know that it can't but still, I'm checking even impossible choices.

sathyashrayan
February 15th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Ok group,
I wanted to try the following link..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/database/monitor-all-sql-queries-in-mysql/#comment-118063

So i did the following and my mysql is not working. Please help..

opened up /etc/mysql/my.cnf. But due non writeable permission i have changed the my.cnf to “chmod 777 my.cnf”. But the whole mysql is not working. So again I changed it to -rw-r–r– and still not working. mysql command gives following error

“ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)”
Please help. I have lot of data my mysql.