PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie - Firefox problem in VMware player

harry003
March 31st, 2010, 02:38 AM
When I attempt to start Firefox, it hangs in a "Loading" mode until it times out. I cannot even ping 192.168.1.1 but the hardware is all cool because here I am via XP. When I go into System/Administration/Network Tools/Network Device there is a box that asks for my connection that is pre-selected as Loopback Interface but a drop-down seems to offer me a choice for Ethernet Interface. However, if I click on Eth1 it does not "take" and always resets to Loopback. I cannot seem to find anything that looks like "Save and Close" rather than just the X which seems to be "Close without Saving"

Maybe I am chasing the wrong rabbit anyway. I am not afraid of a command line but I do not know how to get there and how to use it, if that is what I have to do.

Can anybody give me clean simple instructions on how to make Firefox work in this scenario?

ps - during boot, F2 Setup and F12 Networking Setup also seem dead and do not do anything. I am in a fresh new Lucid install in a VMware Player under XP on a well-endowed desktop.

harry003
April 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
In case you are here looking for a solution to a similar problem, after several tries with VMware Player and wubi, I gave up and completely cleaned out all that stuff.

On the advice of a kind and helpful forum member, I downloaded and installed VirtualBox (Sun/Oracle) and it ran without a problem. It was still a bit cumbersome and time-consuming, but there were no errors and it guided me through the process of updating and gathering guest additions without mishap.

Most importantly, Firefox ran properly on the first try.

Now I just have to figure out how to make the screen and views fit properly !