PDA

View Full Version : comcast digital cable to WinTV-HVR-1600 help!

rienzio
March 31st, 2010, 01:32 AM
Hello, We just got Comcast digital cable (i live in Golden, CO) and I am trying to get connected to my Mythbox. Feeling a little overwhelmed, and hoping someone can help me. Ideally, I'd like to take bypass the cheapie box that comcast gave me and go directly into the WinTV-1600 and tune Clear-Qam channels.

I have tried this, and when I scan for channels within Mythtv, it comes up with a few ATSC channels, the usual OTA ones, I could get with an antenna. It also comes up with a bunch of other conflicting and non-conflicting channels, but I can't seem to tune them.

I just read this:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan
which makes me think there is hope, but I am a bit overwhelmed, as I'm a n00b when it comes to downloading and compiling stuff in Linux.

I'm hoping someone has been down this road and can walk me thru. Much thanks!

williammanda
March 31st, 2010, 02:19 AM
I too would like someone to further discuss the use of scte65scan. I don't have any stb and the directions are a little unclear. They say you need the VCT_ID before you run the scte65scan but there is a special note about running it to find out the VCT_ID. Not sure what problems this will cause when running the scte65scan with the VCT_ID.

rienzio
I have the basic cable lineup with comcast which is 25 channels. That is about all you get without a stb. Also I had to scan several different...I forget what it is called...cable, cable high, cable low, etc... to get all those channels. If I remember right I had over 300 channels to filter through to find the 25 channels. This is the only bad part about mythtv setup, I spend at least a full day working through the channel setup.