PDA

View Full Version : How much are these?

dragos240
March 30th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I've heard of, and seen, usb devices capable of connecting to cell towers and getting internet from there. I don't know what the name of these are, but I want one, for those long trips not using a static access point.

Kai69
March 30th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Its called a Dongle you can buy them from mobile phone providers
I have T mobile 2.00 per day and 3mobile 10 per gig per month

sailthesea
March 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
In the UK some Service Providers will bundle Phone,Broadband and Mobile Internet Access in one package (BTBroadband do one for 18.99 a month)
I would think there is a similar deal in the US. You can also get Pay as You Go deals. There is usually a download limit.

Kai69
March 30th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Just found this hope it helps
http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/t-mobile-usa-launches-dongle-for-wireless-internet-access-for-laptops

sisco311
March 31st, 2010, 12:22 AM
If memory serves, we pay around 15 Euros for cable TV, internet (10 Mbps down, 2Mbps up, unlimited traffic), fixed phone(free minutes included), cell phone (not sure if it includes free minutes in the network or not) & mobile internet access (7,2 Mbps, unlimited traffic).

themarker0
March 31st, 2010, 12:23 AM
19 bucks Canadian for me. (Might be a deal don't know, it was from work when i used it)

3rdalbum
March 31st, 2010, 02:39 AM
Mobile Broadband is what it's called.

I've got a prepaid 3 stick; it cost me $129 Australian, and each month I could pay $29 for 3 gigabytes, $15 for 1 gigabyte, or more for more gigabytes per month. My particular prepaid allows me to pay $150 and get 12 gigabytes for the whole year (or until I use it all, whichever comes first).

One thing you'll have to realise is that mobile broadband is barely broadband - it's slow and often quite unreliable depending on area. It can't replace ADSL, not by a long shot.

dragos240
March 31st, 2010, 02:55 AM
Mobile Broadband is what it's called.

I've got a prepaid 3 stick; it cost me $129 Australian, and each month I could pay $29 for 3 gigabytes, $15 for 1 gigabyte, or more for more gigabytes per month. My particular prepaid allows me to pay $150 and get 12 gigabytes for the whole year (or until I use it all, whichever comes first).

One thing you'll have to realise is that mobile broadband is barely broadband - it's slow and often quite unreliable depending on area. It can't replace ADSL, not by a long shot.

Well i'm not going to run a server with it. So reliability isn't too much of an issue.

Dayofswords
March 31st, 2010, 02:59 AM
If memory serves, we pay around 15 Euros for cable TV, internet (10 Mbps down, 2Mbps up, unlimited traffic), fixed phone(free minutes included), cell phone (not sure if it includes free minutes in the network or not) & mobile internet access (7,2 Mbps, unlimited traffic).

15 Euros = 20.2155 U.S. dollars

all that for 20 bucks! daannnnggg....

dragos240
March 31st, 2010, 03:02 AM
I agree with the above poster. Awesome for $20.

sisco311
March 31st, 2010, 04:57 AM
I agree with the above poster. Awesome for $20.

hmmm, the minimum wage is ~RON600-650~=150-165Euros (per month), that's ~0.74$/hour (based on 170hours/month = 8hours a day & 5 days a week).

k33bz
March 31st, 2010, 06:48 AM
Do some reearch before you commit to a contract. some dongles are not compatible with linux

dabby_yo
March 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
Its called a Dongle you can buy them from mobile phone providers
I have T mobile 2.00 per day and 3mobile 10 per gig per month

60.00 a month?

3rdalbum
March 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Well i'm not going to run a server with it. So reliability isn't too much of an issue.

Well, there's basically two speeds that these devices can work at; one is pretty much dialup speed, the other is broadband speed. If the signal strength and quality isn't good enough for the broadband speed, it'll switch to the dialup speed.

Sometimes you'll be downloading a file and it'll switch to dialup speed; and at that point your download will halt.

When you're in a good signal strength area you won't have this issue. If your signal strength is borderline, though, it totally ruins anything other than straight web surfing and e-mail.

Not all mobile broadband modems work with Linux, so check to see which ones do work. Oh, and don't use Ubuntus 9.10 or 8.04; 8.04 is too old, and 9.10 has some mobile broadband bugs that make the whole thing work worse.

Not trying to put you off mobile broadband, as it does allow you to surf the web and send and recieve e-mail on the go. But anyone who's thinking of using it as their main internet connection definitely has the wrong idea. None of my friends have had a good experience with it.

steveneddy
March 31st, 2010, 11:51 PM
I use a Verizon Mifi (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi) device.

It's like a portable Wifi router.