PDA

View Full Version : SCO v. Novell ends - Jury rules in favor of Novell

Hwæt
March 30th, 2010, 09:57 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14786202

It took seven long years, but it's all finally over.

doas777
March 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
WoooHooo!
not that I haven't said that before under exactly these same circumstances, but heres to hoping the verdict sticks this time.

I wonder if the boycott novell folks see some value to the company now?

handy
March 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM

It took seven long years, but it's all finally over.

You must have read it & changed your post, re. IBM & SCO whilst I was reading. :)

I was about to (& did) add this from the link:

But Cahn said SCO intends to continue its lawsuit against IBM, in which the computer giant is accused of using Unix code to make the Linux operating system a viable competitor, causing a decline in SCO's revenues.

So the legal eagles still have another way to make some more money for themselves...

SCO doesn't stand a chance of winning against IBM.

mickie.kext
March 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
How come they can continue suing IBM when they just lost everything that they clamed they have? I thought they could continue litigating with IBM only if they win this case... and they are lost. I am puzzled.

samalex
March 30th, 2010, 10:23 PM
This is great for everyone, except SCO:

And it's even on Novell's website (http://www.novell.com/prblogs/?p=2153):

Decision in the SCO Group vs. Novell Jury trial

March 30th, 2010 by Ian Bruce Digg! del.icio.us icon Del.icio.us

Today, the jury in the District Court of Utah trial between SCO Group and Novell issued a verdict.

Novell is very pleased with the jury’s decision confirming Novell’s ownership of the Unix copyrights, which SCO had asserted to own in its attack on Linux. Novell remains committed to promoting Linux, including by defending Linux on the intellectual property front.

This decision is good news for Novell, for Linux, and for the open source community.

I remember when this first broke in 2003 thinking there's no way some company can say they own Linux. I never thought they would've dragged it out over 7 years.

But in the end, as we all expected, Linux prevailed!

Sam

Redache
March 30th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Linux won in 2007.SCO never proved that the Linux Kernel contained infringing code.

This case was about whether Novell owned the SVRX copyrights.

dragos240
March 30th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Plus, there is a topic about this. On the first page. Lurk moar. :p

cariboo
March 30th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Merged two threads.

madhi19
March 30th, 2010, 10:57 PM
How come they can continue suing IBM when they just lost everything that they claimed they have? I thought they could continue litigating with IBM only if they win this case... and they are lost. I am puzzled.

Lawyers will sue until their clients can't pay them anymore they will pick that corpse clean until nothing is left but bones!

LowSky
March 30th, 2010, 11:03 PM
SCO is trying to hunt lost profits because it bet on the wrong horse.

Pogeymanz
March 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Wait, so Novell owns the copyright to Unix even though it sold it in 1995? Shouldn't the buyer have the copyright now?

oldfred
March 30th, 2010, 11:52 PM
It did not sell Unix, it sold Unixware which was just another version of Unix like IBM, HP, Sun, and many others. None of those companies own the Unix copyrights but they have the copyrights to whatever they add (although in SCO's world that was SCO's also).

gnomeuser
March 31st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Congratulations to our friends at Novell.

The real tragedy is that any of SCO's cases went to trial, millions of dollars were wasted on obviously bogus claims which anyone who was the slightest bit technologically literate issued by scoundrels. To make matters by letting these cases go to trial we may see other failing businesses attempt similar alternatives to bankrupcy since it is a no loss scenerio for them and it incures a massive cost for their competition.

The legal system desperately needs to become more literate when it comes to science and technology.

cprofitt
March 31st, 2010, 12:52 AM
While this is a victory -- I can only hope it leads to reform of how an antiquated system deals with digital property and intellectual rights.