PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Code::Bocks devs?

TheBuzzSaw
March 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Code::Blocks is my weapon of choice for C++ development. Other IDEs surpass CB in individual areas, but CB is the best balance of features and stability. For example, I much prefer Netbeans' solid auto-complete support, but Netbeans weighs 30 tons, and it is so annoying that it requires a make file to import a C++ project.

CB development stopped back in 2008. Where are the developers? Is there any hope for the future of CB? Are there any forks of the project?

I'd say it's time to begin work on a new C/C++ IDE. CB had so many things right; it just needed to be cleaned up and enhanced. Sadly, it is starting to stagnate. Also, I am not really a fan of wxWidgets at all. I'd much rather build a tool in GTK.

Would anyone be interested in a discussion for building a new IDE?

(EDIT -- OK, I just now found the CB nightly builds. Still, I'd much prefer to have an IDE focused in GTK.)

SledgeHammer_999
March 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I also use CB. Since you want something that uses Gtk, then give Anjuta a try.

trilobite
March 31st, 2010, 07:34 AM
Code::Blocks is my weapon of choice for C++ development. Other IDEs surpass CB in individual areas, but CB is the best balance of features and stability. For example, I much prefer Netbeans' solid auto-complete support, but Netbeans weighs 30 tons, and it is so annoying that it requires a make file to import a C++ project.

CB development stopped back in 2008. Where are the developers? Is there any hope for the future of CB? Are there any forks of the project?

I'd say it's time to begin work on a new C/C++ IDE. CB had so many things right; it just needed to be cleaned up and enhanced. Sadly, it is starting to stagnate. Also, I am not really a fan of wxWidgets at all. I'd much rather build a tool in GTK.

Would anyone be interested in a discussion for building a new IDE?

(EDIT -- OK, I just now found the CB nightly builds. Still, I'd much prefer to have an IDE focused in GTK.)

Hi, TheBuzzSaw -

Have you tried Geany? http://www.geany.org/
It uses Gtk2 and is excellent, imo.

It has a very clean, uncluttered design, and seems to be increasingly popular.

I hate IDEs that throw dozens of buttons on the toolbar, so Geany meets my needs beautifully - I hope you'll try it! :)
- trilobite

TheBuzzSaw
April 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
I hate Anjuta and Geany. They have bad auto-complete. Anjuta injects a ton of garbage. Geany was unpleasant.

tooatw
April 1st, 2010, 05:58 AM
i recently abandoned codeblocks for geany as well
geany's auto close things kind of got annoying so i turned everything off except the curly brackets