PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Webserver setup

Datamac
March 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I am stuck at the ending point of setting up a web server to do virtual hosting for 3 sites. I have created the individual virtual host files and think that they are stored in the correct directories. I am unable to run a2ensite to finish this step of the process. Can anyone here help me understand the last two steps in the process. I am following the tutorial at: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/412

Bachstelze
March 30th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I am unable to run a2ensite to finish this step of the process.

What happens when you try?

terazen
March 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I think the guide says this, but when you run `sudo a2ensite somefilename` it looks for the filename in /etc/apache2/sites-available/ and creates a link to it in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/.

After you do that and reload apache the server will look into /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ and see the new files to read.

With that being said it sounds like you either don't have the files in your sites-available or maybe you aren't spelling the filename correctly.

dudumomo
March 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Yes indeed, check the name of your file.

You might want to check my how to: http://www.freelydifferent.com/self-hosting/lamp-for-linux-apache-mysql-php/

Datamac
March 30th, 2010, 09:40 PM
file names are okay. I paid great attention to detail in creating the directories and saving the file names. I get site does not exist! from the command line interpreter.

terazen
March 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
If you type `sudo a2ensite abcd` with abcd being the first characters of the filename, will hitting tab autocomplete the filename?

ICEB3AR
March 30th, 2010, 10:54 PM
is it possible that a2ensite does not look for the filename but for the domainname.... i mean:
e.g. in sites-available there is a file website containing

<Virtualhost *:80>
ServerName www.website.org
</Vritualhost>

I'm not completely sure and not able to test, but i would say you have to do

sudo a2ensite www.website.org
# instead of
sudo a2ensite website

Just my idea

dudumomo
March 30th, 2010, 10:56 PM
No a2ensite doesn't work like this.
I've just done a new virtualhost a couple of hours ago.

The URL was gallery.freelydifferent.com
and the name of the file, simply "gallery"

a2ensite gallery did good.

Ryan Dwyer
March 30th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I paid great attention to detail in creating the directories and saving the file names.

You shouldn't need to create any directories. Are you sure you made them in /etc/apache2/sites-available and not ~/etc/apache2/sites-available?

Running the following command should show a list of your files: ls /etc/apache2/sites-available

Datamac
March 31st, 2010, 12:07 AM
Lots of comments here. Thanks for the ideas. I have 4 files in the sites-available directory. "default and my 3 virtual website config files. Now, I am getting "permission denied when I run sudo a2ensite filename. This is driving me nuts to seem to loose permissions and privileges and I more forward. Again, help!