PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 10.04 beta 1 from older release

rhyz
March 30th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Im currently on ubuntu 9.04 and it is about time i upgraded but i noticed that ubuntu 10.04 is soon to be released and thought i might aswell go straight for that.

I haven't been able to find any information on upgrading from 9.04 and was wondering how to do it.

I cant upgrade to 9.10 then 10.04 as this will take ages at our connection speed and is most likely to be cut off half way through. I cant download 10.04 image and burn it to a disk as i have no discs and no burner.
I would happily wait for a cd when 10.04 is released but ive ordered 3 and they said i cant have any more :) (Any ideas around this?)

My thought is that i get a list of all files needed for 10.04 and install them, then remove all old packages so i end up with a new install without the install part if you under stand :) .

But there must be a easier way, any ideas Thanks :)

zvacet
March 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
You can not skip versions if you want to upgrade.Since you think you will have problems with your connection Jaunty>Karmic>Lucid is not option.Make separate home partition if you donīt have one following this (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome) guide.

I would happily wait for a cd when 10.04 is released but ive ordered 3 and they said i cant have any more (Any ideas around this?)

Did you ordered 3 Lucid CD? See if you have LOCO team around and try to contact them.Do you have any friends with broadband connection? If you do let them download Lucid for you when it is out.Buying blanc CD should not be a problem.When you have final Lucid release and separate home partition,install Lucid on your root and donīt format home partition.

rhyz
March 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hi thanks for reply i have ordered ubuntu 8.04 + 9.04 and kubuntu 9.04 and when i wanted ubuntu 9.10 it said i had ordered to many and that i cant have more.

i will see if i have a ubuntu team near,
I think our area has slow broadband so friends are no better off

Nisal
March 31st, 2010, 04:31 PM
can we get 10.04 via post now ?

Slim Odds
March 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
can we get 10.04 via post now ?

Not until it's released.

Mark Phelps
March 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
10.04 is still in Beta and will be for a while yet. You should NOT be updating a "production" system (i.e., one you rely on daily to do useful work) to any Beta version.

One major reason is that there is no "roll-back" capability to go back to the previous, stable version of Ubuntu.

If you insist on using 10.04 while it's in Beta, you should be posting your questions to the correct forum: Development & Programming, Lucid Lynx Testing.

I will be asking the Mods to move this thread there. Look there for any future reponses.