PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Root Password

Datamac
March 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM
How to login as root? During successful installation no prompt for creating root user or password was made. How can I login as root on a 8.04 Hardy Heron desktop O/S?

sisco311
March 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM
The first user created during the installation is an Administrative user. Admin users are allowed to run applications as root without having to know the root password.

When needed GUI applications will prompt you for your user password. In the CLI you can use sudo/gksu to run an application as root.

This explains it better:
community/RootSudo

ravikalsi27
March 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
if u wana login as a root in terminal just type
sudo su
it will ask password of root,hit enter
u will login as root in terminal

more ever if u wana login as a root in GUI ........it is possible but it will effect u r system and crash occurs...................simple use nautilas script (OPEN AS ROOT)

jrssystemsnet
March 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
if u wana login as a root in terminal just type
sudo su

I used to do that, until I read the manpage for sudo and discovered the -s argument (open a root shell).

Not that it matters really for any reason that I can see; sudo su will work fine - just thought you might want to know. :)

sisco311
March 30th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I used to do that, until I read the manpage for sudo and discovered the -s argument (open a root shell).

Not that it matters really for any reason that I can see; sudo su will work fine - just thought you might want to know. :)

Or even better, use: sudo -i

For a brief overview of some of the differences between su, su -, and sudo -{i,s} see : unutbu's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6188826&postcount=4)

sudo su is a freaky combination of commands. Two setuid root commands to start a root shell...uh... What's next? pkexec sudo su -c "ping localhost"? :)

thomasaaron
April 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Here's some good community documentation on understanding root in Ubuntu...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo