PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installing Windows 7 over kubuntu? Need help bad.

laflair13
March 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Heres the situation, A buddy of mine told me I should install this kubuntu on my system, So I did. Well I have no clue on how it works or anything I asked him to kinda walk me through on how to install some windows programs I have, Like the Magic Jack phone thing.

Well needless to say, he bailed on me and I havent heard from him in several days and I have been sitting without a phone since last Friday.

So basically, I want to remove this kubuntu and put windows 7 back on my system so I can get all my window programs back.

Is there any tutorial around that will show me how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Phelps
March 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM
So basically, I want to remove this kubuntu and put windows 7 back on my system so I can get all my window programs back.

Depends on what Win7 media you have for doing the reinstall.

If your machine came preinstalled with Win7, you will have either a recovery partition (if you didn't erase it installing Kubuntu) and/or a Restore CD -- provided by the PC vendor.

IF you restore using the vendor-provided stuff, you will put the machine back into the state is was when you first used it -- including any SW or other apps that the vendor preinstalled.

If you erased the recovery partition, or if you only have a restore CD that then expects to find a recovery partition, you will have to contact the vendor to get full restore media. The restore CD will not be enough to completely restore the machine.

IF you have a Win7 Installation DVD, you should boot from an Ubuntu LiveCD first and remove all the partitions on the drive, and then boot from the Win7 DVD and just do an install. But realize, this will NOT get your "windows programs back". You will have to reinstall all of them from scratch.

laflair13
April 20th, 2010, 05:20 AM
When I try and load the cd with kubuntu it does read it. Is there any step by step tutorial that will show me how to get rid of this kubuntu and put my windows back on my desktop?

Mark Phelps
April 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
When I try and load the cd ...

Which CD? An Ubuntu CD? A Win7 DVD?

You can't install or remove MS Windows inside of Kubuntu; you have to boot from an MS Windows DVD to be able to do that.

I gave you several options for HOW to do what you want. Without knowing which option applies to your situation, there's no way to provide more details.

infamous-online
April 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
When I try and load the cd with kubuntu it does read it. Is there any step by step tutorial that will show me how to get rid of this kubuntu and put my windows back on my desktop?

You're going to have to reset the operating system, and once you get to the boot screen depending on your vender you're going to have to press whatever button to put from a cd and take it from there. Also with a Windows installation once you get the general setup and it reboots your machine, the install will ask you to press any button to start the installation process and at this point DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. Let it run until it's completely setup on your machine. Hope this helps.