PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Permissions Help!

Datamac
March 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Need help maintaining permissions across multiple directories. Have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. O/S installed, updated and running with no problems. Why is it that my administrator user id doesn't seem to have root permissions to create directories? I am trying to setup hosting 3 separate websites and therefore create 3 separate directories to manage all associated files for the 3 websites. Also, I am attempting to read through the tutorials located at: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/412

dudumomo
March 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hello Datamac,
Be sure that your user is a root member.
When you try to launch any command with sudo, do you have any problem ?

ravikalsi27
March 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM
use command by root
chmod 770 /"dir path where u wana keep u r files"

jrssystemsnet
March 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Need help maintaining permissions across multiple directories. Have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. O/S installed, updated and running with no problems. Why is it that my administrator user id doesn't seem to have root permissions to create directories? I am trying to setup hosting 3 separate websites and therefore create 3 separate directories to manage all associated files for the 3 websites. Also, I am attempting to read through the tutorials located at: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/412
Because your administrator user id is not root, it is just capable of assuming root privileges. If you want to assume root privilege, you need to use the sudo command as a prefix to whatever command you're trying to issue.

Example:

me@box:~$ cd /usr
me@box:/usr$ touch test
touch: cannot touch `test': Permission denied
me@box:/usr$ sudo touch test
[sudo] password for me:
me@box:/usr$ ls -l | grep test
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-03-30 14:05 test
me@box:/usr$ rm test
rm: remove write-protected regular empty file `test'? y
rm: cannot remove `test': Permission denied
me@box:/usr$ sudo rm test
me@box:/usr$

See how that works?

Datamac
March 30th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Your information helped!