PDA

View Full Version : Selling ubuntu?

Nisal
March 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
can any one sell ubuntu CDZ ? because there was a exhibition while go here and one organzation was selling something called "Linux Box"
what it include was a ubuntu CD that come with shpping and detailed installation manual !

Tony Flury
March 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM
My understanding is that you can resell Ubuntu if you are providing an extra (i.e. over and above the free download).

Providing a CD and an installation manual would be a reasonable extra - but that i guess depends on the quality of the manual - and whether it covered in detail issues like creation of partitions etc - and a basic trouble shooting guide would be good.

Nisal
March 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
My understanding is that you can resell Ubuntu if you are providing an extra (i.e. over and above the free download).

Providing a CD and an installation manual would be a reasonable extra - but that i guess depends on the quality of the manual - and whether it covered in detail issues like creation of partitions etc - and a basic trouble shooting guide would be good.

so that mean there are no legal problems on selling?

undecim
March 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yes, you can sell Ubuntu. Free software includes the freedom to sell the software (as ironic as that sounds if you don't know the difference between free and free.)

Nisal
March 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, you can sell Ubuntu. Free software includes the freedom to sell the software (as ironic as that sounds if you don't know the difference between free and free.)

well i didn't knew the the point that it can be sell.many thanks :)

ubunterooster
March 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
OSdisc.com and linuxCD.org sell CDs as a buisness.

Do you read the EULAs and GPL liscences? They always mention whether or not a program may be resold.

[Warning: reading the software lisences will lead you toward being a FOSSist, as it did to me.]

Nisal
March 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
OSdisc.com and linuxCD.org sell CDs as a buisness.

Do you read the EULAs and GPL liscences? They always mention whether or not a program may be resold.

[Warning: reading the software lisences will lead you toward being a FOSSist, as it did to me.]

lol il take u r warning and read it ;)

ubunterooster
March 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks.

[GPL is made to actually be understood, unlike most EULAs]