PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues with selling Ubuntu on PCs

kevin11951
March 30th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Is there anything you need to do with Canonical, before you can sell PCs with Ubuntu on them?

juancarlospaco
March 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
no

spoons
March 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Nothing at all.

kevin11951
March 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM
no

I hope you are right, but I was worried over the following page:

http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/systembuilder

And specifically this part:

"Ubuntu-Certified trademark usage for commercial distribution"

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM
As long as you aren't making profit from Ubuntu, then there wouldn't be any problems and Canonical wouldn't care.

kevin11951
March 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM
As long as you aren't making profit from Ubuntu, then there wouldn't be any problems and Canonical wouldn't care.

But, I am planning on selling computers with Ubuntu on them... That is making a profit, is it not?

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
But, I am planning on selling computers with Ubuntu on them... That is making a profit, is it not?

If you're adding a price for having Ubuntu pre-installed, or taking a cut from the sale for Ubuntu...then thats a problem.

If you're selling just for the computer hardware itself, then there shouldnt be problems.

Remember, if in doubt...contact Canonical legal department and explain the situation to them and see what they tell you.

Ozor Mox
March 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Actually, they wouldn't care even if you do make a profit. Ubuntu is made up of free and open source software that can be freely redistributed for free or for money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing Canonical care about is trademarks. You couldn't slap their logo on your computers and say "Approved by Canonical" for example.

kevin11951
March 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
If you're adding a price for having Ubuntu pre-installed, or taking a cut from the sale for Ubuntu...then thats a problem.

If you're selling just for the computer hardware itself, then there shouldnt be problems.

Remember, if in doubt...contact Canonical legal department and explain the situation to them and see what they tell you.

You wouldn't happen to have their email by any chance?

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
You wouldn't happen to have their email by any chance?

http://www.canonical.com/aboutus/contactus

doas777
March 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
It's my understanding that you don't have to be cannonical certified, either way, but i imagine that they would be happy to certify you, if you are interested.

Doctor Mike
March 30th, 2010, 03:45 PM
But, I am planning on selling computers with Ubuntu on them... That is making a profit, is it not?I don't think there would be a problem charging a fee for properly installing and setting up a system (your labour), or service calls to maintain such systems, but I believe it is bad idea for anyone to try to sell something that is free. You would have little or no business in a short time.

JDShu
March 30th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Actually, they wouldn't care even if you do make a profit. Ubuntu is made up of free and open source software that can be freely redistributed for free or for money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing Canonical care about is trademarks. You couldn't slap their logo on your computers and say "Approved by Canonical" for example.

This should be correct.

Bachstelze
March 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM
The problem is not about selling computers with Ubuntu installed (Ubuntu consists of free software, meaning you're free to use it for any purpose whatsoever, including commercial use). The problem is in the Ubuntu trademark and logo, which can't be used for commercial purposes without approval from Canonical.

Basically, you need to ask Canonical for approval if you're going to use the Ubuntu name and/or logo for example in your ads. Otherwise, no problem.

swoll1980
March 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM

You can sell Ubuntu for $1000 if you want to. It's freely distributable. There is no EULA

Bachstelze
March 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
You can sell Ubuntu for $1000 if you want to. It's freely distributable. There is no EULA

It is not freely redistributable (by "freely" I mean "without conditions", no license flamewar please). If you want to redistribute Ubuntu, you are bound by the licenses of the software it contains, all of which impose conditions on reditribution.

HermanAB
March 30th, 2010, 07:03 PM
As another poster said, the main problem is the Ubuntu Trademarks. The exact same problem exists with most Linux distributions. Distribution of Ubuntu to 3rd parties for profit is *not* 100% free and clear.

If you want to be totally squeaky clean legal, then you either have to make your own distribution and strip the trademarks, or use Scientific Linux. Scientific is the only Linux version I know that is explicitly free for distribution to 3rd parties.

psusi
March 30th, 2010, 07:18 PM
_h_: you could not be more wrong. Profit has nothing to do with anything. The software is FLOSS so you can redistribute it as much as you like, regardless of money or profit. What you can not do is claim that the computer is "Ubuntu Certified", which is trademarked.

mickie.kext
March 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM
EDIT: Did not read thread correctly.

koenn
March 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
What you can not do is claim that the computer is "Ubuntu Certified", which is trademarked.
It's not about "approved" or "certified" or whatever.

read what Bachstelze said : it's the mere use of the name "Ubuntu" or other trademark names and logos that requires you have Canonical's permission.

kevin11951
March 30th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Wait... so simply installing Ubuntu on a computer is trademark infringement?

Bachstelze
March 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM

No, but using it for commercial purposes could be. Ask Canonical or a lawyer to be sure.

koenn
March 30th, 2010, 09:35 PM

read this first : http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

NCLI
March 30th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Ask Canonical, then please post their answer here to settle this debate.