PDA

View Full Version : My server just blew up

GreenDance
March 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I'm shaken up at the moment as I type this, my server (which was right next to me) just blew up, a big blue flash, thats the last time I buy second hand goods from ebay, I bought it a year ago, :-(

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
New or used from eBay?

GreenDance
March 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM
New or used from eBay?

it was used

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
it was used

That sucks. :(

GreenDance
March 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
That sucks. :(

yeah :(, i don't have enough to replace it with a new 1 :(.

sandyd
March 30th, 2010, 02:50 PM
holy.... it was likely a faulty powersupply btw. That happened to me (but on a way smaller scale, the power supply just fused together into a molten mess, and caught on fire, but it went out quickly).//reminder to self // remember to check and clean fans once in a while.

MaxIBoy
March 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
It probably had something to do with dust buildup.

Although power supplies are going alongside hard drives on my list of things to always buy new if possible.

GreenDance
April 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
I'm trying to replace my server now, I've found an 800mhz pc bundle with 512mb ram (silent running), will that be good enough for Apache, PHP & MySQL?

Thanks.

new_tolinux
April 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to replace my server now, I've found an 800mhz pc bundle with 512mb ram (silent running), will that be good enough for Apache, PHP & MySQL?

Thanks.
To replace a home server that would be sufficient. If you aren't running any big website from home.

GreenDance
April 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
To replace a home server that would be sufficient. If you aren't running any big website from home.

my upload speed is rubbish lol.

new_tolinux
April 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
my upload speed is rubbish lol.
Ok, but I've had this question before. The only thing that person forgot to tell was that he had a big family (100+) and posted all his photos and videos on that home server to be served and did some other things beside it.

Then complained that I said the server should be suitable to serve as a home webserver :o

GreenDance
April 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Ok, but I've had this question before. The only thing that person forgot to tell was that he had a big family (100+) and posted all his photos and videos on that home server to be served and did some other things beside it.

Then complained that I said the server should be suitable to serve as a home webserver :o

thanks for ur reply.

CharlesA
April 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
Yikes! I had a machine that had problems with the PSU (brand new components), where it would turn back on for a couple seconds before actually turning off whenever it was shutdown or restarted. Ended up swapping out the PSU and haven't had a problem since.

Glad I noticed it early, since I don't want a grand worth of gear asploding or catching fire.

GreenDance
April 4th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I've just been given a 2.4 GHz PC, 256mb ram, it works, but sounds like a hair-dryer it's that loud, I got a £10 CPU fan (thermal) to replace the old fan but it's still as loud as a fair-dryer, on first boot the PC won't boot, but when I switch it off then switch it back on it boots, does that sound like some part is to cold @ first boot?,

Why are custom built PCs so noisy and manufacture-built PCs so quiet?

Thank you :)

Question I have to ask myself now is, do I stick with a PC that sounds as noisy as a hair-dryer or do I spend £150 on a fanless 800mhz PC.

mips
April 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
...thats the last time I buy second hand goods from ebay, I bought it a year ago, :-(

Is it really that bad, it's second hand and it lasted you a year? I've had brand new stuff die on me before.

Can you not simply replace the PSU?

GreenDance
April 4th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Is it really that bad, it's second hand and it lasted you a year? I've had brand new stuff die on me before.

When I said that I was in shock, my nerves were shuck up at the time.

Can you not simply replace the PSU?

Not when the PSU is none-standard size and no company's keep the size in stock.

The Real Dave
April 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
And that is why I keep all my computers so dust free :) I clean them once every two weeks or so.

Dust, and heat kill :( :(

Oh, can we get some pics? :D

GreenDance
April 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Oh, can we get some pics? :D

Of my old server? sorry the scrap man took it the next day.

Edit: I was just thinking, this must be why webhosting companies mainly use custom-built buildings, have big industrial fans to keep dust free from the server rooms.

cascade9
April 4th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I've just been given a 2.4 GHz PC, 256mb ram, it works, but sounds like a hair-dryer it's that loud, I got a £10 CPU fan (thermal) to replace the old fan but it's still as loud as a fair-dryer, on first boot the PC won't boot, but when I switch it off then switch it back on it boots, does that sound like some part is to cold @ first boot?,

Loud PSU, and if its probably got an old PSU into the bargin. Might be the video card as well and case fans can be noisy. Really, after just (probably) blowing a PSU...maybe you should think about getting a decent one?

Why are custom built PCs so noisy and manufacture-built PCs so quiet?

Thank you :)

Speak for...er...whoevers custom build you've seen. I've had more than one custom built computer thats very quiet. I've also heard corporate computers that sound like jets taking off.

Question I have to ask myself now is, do I stick with a PC that sounds as noisy as a hair-dryer or do I spend £150 on a fanless 800mhz PC.

Or do you figure out thats making the noise in your current computer (probably the PSU, maybe the video card) and fix it- you can get fanless 400 watt PSUs, and fanless video cards....or you can buy a fanless heatsink for the video card, but be careful- some of them will need underclocking to run fanless.

The Real Dave
April 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Damn :(

Well, personally I'd go for the PIII. My testing server is a 663Mhz Celeron, and it runs fine. My main server for a long time was a 451Mhz PIII with 128Mb of RAM, which served my needs perfectly. My main server now is a bit more powerful, a 1.7Ghz PIV, which runs quite a bit more, file and media sharing, torrenting, caching proxy and an Apt-Proxy for starters. It has plenty of power left over :)

mips
April 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Not when the PSU is none-standard size and no company's keep the size in stock.

Make and model of your server?

GreenDance
April 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I've found out where the hair-dryer noise is coming from, it's the £10 thermal CPU Fan, I asked the computer shop for a silent CPU fan and this is what I got, tut, grrr, need to look for another CPU fan now, something that is silent.

GreenDance
April 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Make and model of your server?

It's a custom built server.

GreenDance
April 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Found me new Fan :D, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148079 will order this week.

GreenDance
April 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I've found out where the hair-dryer noise is coming from, it's the £10 thermal CPU Fan, I asked the computer shop for a silent CPU fan and this is what I got, tut, grrr, need to look for another CPU fan now, something that is silent.

Forgot to mention how I found it was the fan, I switched my server on, and gently pressed down on the center of the CPU fan, and the noise was gone, only done it for a couple seconds, but glad I found out where the noise was coming from :)

andrewabc
April 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
@ greenDance and others.

If this is just a casual home server, I'd suggest getting a new nettop.

Take for example the 'slow' eee box b202 model.
intel atom 1.6ghz, 1gb ddr2, GMA950. Very small and uses 25watts max, 16watts idle (http://www.silentpcreview.com/Asus_EeeBox_B202) (page 5).
The older desktop machines (before core2duo) especially pentium4 types, would use 200 watts for desktop. So if this is something that is running 24/7, the power savings, small size, silent, nettop is best (assuming speed isn't as important).

newegg link with some basic info $220 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220028) - also look up reviews to make sure they would suit your needs. There's also acer revo that has better graphics for same price.

If you want something faster as a nettop, you would want an acer revo dual core.
newegg link $330 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103235) uses 50 watts max.

Or eeebox 1501 (optical) or 1201 (no optical) (which is currently more expensive than similar revo nettops)
Asus EeeBox EB1501 ION Mini-PC review (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1007-page1.html)

Just a tip: The acer revos are selling very well and demand is high, stock is low everywhere, so prices are being jacked up at some retailers (don't expect any real good deals). Maybe in a month or so new supply will get out. Make good HTPC too apparently.

cascade9
April 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
The older desktop machines (before core2duo) especially pentium4 types, would use 200 watts for desktop. So if this is something that is running 24/7, the power savings, small size, silent, nettop is best (assuming speed isn't as important).

Not that many went to 200wats- its more than possible, though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-power-consumption,1750.html

For the older machines, if you really wanted to eat power, a P4 3.8/GT6800 would go even futher..that setup is a computer AND a space hearter. The P4s were really really hot and power hungry though- something in the p3 600-866 range wont eat much more power than a nettop and be a lot cheaper.

BTW, its easy to build a computer that eats far more power than even a P4 3.8/6800GT these days- an i7 (which can use more power than any of the P4s) and a GTX295 will make the old P4s look like power savers.

IMO, the only real problem with using a nettop as a server is the limit to 1 HDD, and a lot fo them use 2.5'' laptop drives- more expensive, smaller and slower (not that speed matters to much with a nettop)

If somebody was after a machine with more power than a nettop that still uses a small amount of electrickery, then an AMD 900e (or any of the other 'e' series CPUs..or even a black edition downclocked and undervoltaged) running a motherboard with onbaord nVidia graphics in a full size case is a good idea.

andrewabc
April 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I used
The Power Wattage Calculator (http://www.3dcool.com/PWC.php) - 380watt power supply recommended when I fill out.
and
Antec Power Supply Calculator (http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine) - 211 watts when I fill out.

And both showed my old P4 should be using ~200 watts. But that doesn't matter (just the point that older computers use a lot more power than new nettops and can be the same speed). I realize those links are for min recommended power supply not necessarily usage amounts.

True with nettops they're not good for mass storage devices, although the newer models have eSATA connector so you could easily hook up an external 1tb drive if needed.

I currently have core2duo e6300 and according to Efficiency & Performance: The Intel Core 2 Duo (http://vr-zone.com/print/efficiency--performance-the-intel-core-2-duo-/3795.html), my original desktop (have since added more ram, SSD, fan, etc) would be using 91 idle and 120w max load (onboard graphics chart). My eee box b202 uses 25 watts max. So nettops definitely use ~1/4 the power of a desktop (1/2 if Ion based). Assuming a nettop hardware config meets your needs. If it doesn't then obviously don't get one. Yes my nettop is slow compared to desktop, but it serves it's intended purpose as a web browsing machine replacing my 8 year old P4 that was loud, big, and slower than nettop.

Take a look at Asus EEE Box with OCZ Agility SSD (http://quintinsmits.com/2009/07/24/asus-eee-box-with-ocz-agility-ssd) random blog (yes that's me in the comment section). He switched to eeebox because he didn't need lots of storage, and current server used 150 watts, and new eeebox uses 25 watts. Add an SSD assuming you want some more speed (I/O) and don't need much storage, and you got good mini server.

Nettops aren't going to replace larger server needs, but mini ones would definitely benefit.
Original poster did not say exactly what server used for (said some web tools though), how much storage etc. I doubt performance is an issue since the specs of some old servers people are suggesting are similar speed to nettops.

Thanks for the link.
My P4 is an early model with usb 1.1 and was in bad shape compared to good(newer) P4 computers

Intel i845
Intel Pentium 4 @ 1700 MHz Willamette 180nm
3 x 256 SDRAM
Nvidia Corp RIVA TNT2 Model 64
80gb hard drive
cd-rw
dvd-rom
usb1.1
So upgrading to basic eeebox was well worth the money for me. All depends on how old your desktop is. I guess P4 was introduced in 2001 (what I got) and stopped in 2006.

cascade9
April 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I used
The Power Wattage Calculator (http://www.3dcool.com/PWC.php) - 380watt power supply recommended when I fill out.
and
Antec Power Supply Calculator (http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine) - 211 watts when I fill out.

And both showed my old P4 should be using ~200 watts. But that doesn't matter (just the point that older computers use a lot more power than new nettops and can be the same speed). I realize those links are for min recommended power supply not necessarily usage amounts.

They are recommended, and add quite a bit to the overall just 'to be safe' and also because, well, being blunt, there are plenty of '550watt' (for example) power supplies that cant output anywhere near that amount. Power supply calculators tend to go 20-50% above the real consumption in my expereince.

I currently have core2duo e6300 and according to Efficiency & Performance: The Intel Core 2 Duo (http://vr-zone.com/print/efficiency--performance-the-intel-core-2-duo-/3795.html), my original desktop (have since added more ram, SSD, fan, etc) would be using 91 idle and 120w max load (onboard graphics chart). My eee box b202 uses 25 watts max. So nettops definitely use ~1/4 the power of a desktop (1/2 if Ion based). Assuming a nettop hardware config meets your needs. If it doesn't then obviously don't get one. Yes my nettop is slow compared to desktop, but it serves it's intended purpose as a web browsing machine replacing my 8 year old P4 that was loud, big, and slower than nettop.

I agree, nettops do use far less power than desktops. Even the 45watt AMD 'e' series CPUs will use a fiar bit more power than a nettop (they would possible push the Ions if they were setup right).

Nice link back at you. But two things that they didnt mention in that test-

1- the 7900GTX is very power hungry, drop to a more reasonable 7600 GS and the consumption would drop a lot. (or better yet a later card, but they werent around then).

2- power supply efficiency . In the with card tests, its not a bad power supply from what I can see, but its got one minor issue- its too big. It doesnt matter that much with the Core2Duo, if anything the core2duo would look a lot better with a more reasonable power supply. Because efficiency drops right off below 25%, and the Core2Duo is running under that in the 'with video card' tests at idle, its pushing the figures up. You can see how a lot of places cut off the efficiency graph (this is for the ST-520PAF-05F from the 'with video card' tests)

http://80plus.com/manu/psu/psu_reports/SEVENTEAM-ST-520PAF-05F1-520W-Report.pdf

I cant actualy tell what supply in in th 'without video card' tests is (they say coolermaster 430watts, but theres been a few of them) but I wouldnt be suprised if it wasn't 80%+, which eats more power..and under 25% with the older sytle less efficient power supplies could be bumping the usage figures a lot.

BTW, if your interested in this sort of thing, here something I found great, testing the actual draw of the system, form the supply, not the wall-

http://web.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/system-wattage.html

Anyway, gone right of subject LOL.

Forgot to mention how I found it was the fan, I switched my server on, and gently pressed down on the center of the CPU fan, and the noise was gone, only done it for a couple seconds, but glad I found out where the noise was coming from :)

Stupid noisy fans.

You could possible rig up something like this (I've done it with a bit of plastic LOL) and just get a quiet 120mm fan, rather than change heatsink-

http://www.zalman.com/Eng/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=226

andrewabc
April 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM
1- the 7900GTX is very power hungry, drop to a more reasonable 7600 GS and the consumption would drop a lot. (or better yet a later card, but they werent around then).

In my link, it reviews the core2duo with Inno3D 7900GTX 512MB and also with just onboard graphics which saves about 30 watts when idle.
I have just onboard graphics.

Yep, offtopic. :)
But not really, discussing power usage is kinda important for a device that runs 24/7.

The low power nettops would also be great advantage when used with Uninteruptable power supply. They would last longer when power goes out, more time to safely shutdown server. :D
Or just buy a cheap crappy UPS, and with nettop less power drawn not as 'big' of UPS needed (assuming basic home usage).

Also my CPU fan on core2duo machine is starting to make vibration and noise. Probably need to be replaced by end of year. I've got some possible solutions, but don't look forward to replacing it.