PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Smartphone and Ubuntu

kontara
March 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I am currently using Handspring Visor Platinum with Palm Desktop.

Would like to move to a modern platform, something like:
WebOS,
Android,
Blackberry,
MeeGo,
or LiMo

And use with Evolution or Thunderbird.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
Werner

Bufke
March 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
What exact features are you looking for? Android (and probably all of those) has good integration with gmail which you can use with thunderbird or evolution.

Oldskool Slacker
March 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
My Android phone (Motorola Cliq) fits perfectly in my old Visor cases. The iPhone and Blackberries don't match up so well.

Not a major thing, but if you've got the accessories already.....

kontara
March 31st, 2010, 04:52 AM
What exact features are you looking for? Android (and probably all of those) has good integration with gmail which you can use with thunderbird or evolution.

Most important is preserving my current data which are the basic four functions: Datebook, Addressbook, To-Do and Memo. Email I do not use on the handheld but would use POP3 from Evolution.

Problem with Palm webOS appears to be no more to-do and memo unless one uses 3rd party like CompanionLink. But there are also rumors that Palm is in financial trouble so they may not be around much longer.

Therefore I want to look at the other options.

kontara
March 31st, 2010, 04:59 AM
My Android phone (Motorola Cliq) fits perfectly in my old Visor cases. The iPhone and Blackberries don't match up so well.

Not a major thing, but if you've got the accessories already.....

Right now I am using a camera pouch which holds my visor, cards, comb, USB drive etc. Its getting worn out so I would probably buy the next pouch to fit whatever I get.

One thing for sure, I'd like to have the phone back together with my PDA. Used to have the VisorPhone installed but then the replacement battery was expensive. So I opted to get a free phone with my contract extension instead. Its more of a hassle to have two things on my belt, and then try to write on the PDA while holding the phone??? Ugh!

kontara
April 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Has anyone tried OpenSync with Evolution? What has been your experience?

Werner