PDA

View Full Version : Syncing or Drag and Drop

LinuxFox
March 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I've been playing around with my digital audio player on Ubuntu and I know I can use it two ways. I could either Sync it in a media player (like Banshee) or I could drag and drop my music in.

Just wondering, what do you prefer to do? Do you sync it, or just drag and drop the music in?

ajgreeny
March 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I just drag and drop. I really don't have a big enough flash disk in my player to even consider syncing, and I don't change the music very often either, so it would not really be any advantage. All my music files are arranged in folders separately, anyway, so it is very easy to just drag a folder with an album on it and drop it onto the player.

RiceMonster
March 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I like drag and drop. I'd rather not have my audio player dependant on any application.

Nisal
March 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
same here drag and drop

Simian Man
March 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Drag and drop definitely. Back before Linux supported iPods (a gift from the wife), I had to use iTunes and it confused the hell out of me. I guess it would be good if you wanted everything from your library on your player, but for anything else, it's a royal pain.

LinuxFox
March 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Drag and drop definitely. Back before Linux supported iPods (a gift from the wife), I had to use iTunes and it confused the hell out of me. I guess it would be good if you wanted everything from your library on your player, but for anything else, it's a royal pain.I agree with the part on whole library. I think it's good if I want my whole music collection on the player.

Anyway, I like drag and drop a little more. In Ubuntu, not only do I need to add another file (.is_audio_player), but Banshee renames my music files when I browse folders on my player. I prefer to keep file names the way they are.

sudoer541
March 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Drag and drop!!!:D

hessiess
March 30th, 2010, 05:38 PM
rsync

pelle.k
March 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Drag and drop FTW! It would seem i'm not alone about this. How nice :D
FYI, you can set your iphone/ipod to handle media files "manually" in itunes. The day that option disappears, i'm ditching my trusty iphone. I do hate the fact that i have to use itunes to put files on my iphone though. Removeable mass storage devices ftw as well!

Austin25
March 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I use a ds with an N5, so drag and drop.s

LinuxFox
March 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Drag and drop FTW! It would seem i'm not alone about this. How nice :D
FYI, you can set your iphone/ipod to handle media files "manually" in itunes. The day that option disappears, i'm ditching my trusty iphone. I do hate the fact that i have to use itunes to put files on my iphone though. Removeable mass storage devices ftw as well!I know that, I have iTunes on my Windows partition set to "manually" for my iPod. Banshee also has a similar manual setting. Though, I thought that kind of drag and drop was syncing.

By drag and drop, I was thinking about using the file browser on your OS and dragging it to the device.

pelle.k
March 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
By drag and drop, I was thinking about using the file browser on your OS and dragging it to the device.
Well yes, the "manual" method in itunes is not like dragging files from, and to, a device in the file system (rather from the file system, to an application), but still, i appreciate the fact that i can kind of emulate it. Even so, i would prefer the "real thing".
Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing;

LinuxFox
March 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Well yes, the "manual" method in itunes is not like dragging files from, and to, a device in the file system (rather from the file system, to an application), but still, i appreciate the fact that i can kind of emulate it. Even so, i would prefer the "real thing".
Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing;Yup, that's the setting. I also like how that setting lets me drag and drop my music in, even if it's not real drag and drop.

Though for my old digital audio player, I tried syncing in Banshee to check it out. Now I'm finding myself go back to drag and drop.