PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no panels!

hammergil
March 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM
my son has a profile on my laptop and somehow my 4 year old has successfully deleted every panel. He now only has his desktop with the folders that were there and NO PANELS! How do I get one back? Thanks!

bigsmitty64
March 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm no genius here by any means but, On mine I deleted (purpously)one panel, and now have no option to delete the other one. Leading me to believe you can't delete both? Is it possible its just on autohide? if you position your curser all the way to the top edge does it show up? If it does, right click/properties uncheck autohide. Hopefully it's this simple! Good luck.

hammergil
March 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
There are no panels and I checked for auto-hide...nothing. Somehow this little guy got rid of all my panels. Any other ideas?

bigsmitty64
March 30th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Maybe this will help? Found it on this sight http://www.watchingthenet.com/restore-panels-in-ubuntu-back-to-their-default-settings.html

alt+F2 THEN type "gnome-terminal" in the provided space, then click run

Then in terminal type:

gconftool – -recursive-unset /apps/panel

no spaces between the 2 dashes!!!!!

Then type:

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

And one more:

pkill gnome-panel

This should give you back your panels in there default settings.

hammergil
March 31st, 2010, 02:10 AM
yes, i saw that thread. alt + F2 does nothing.

bigsmitty64
March 31st, 2010, 03:36 AM
is the F lock on, on the right side of the keyboard?

Dayofswords
March 31st, 2010, 03:39 AM
what i did to reset panels was delete ~/.gconf/apps/panel folder

logout
login
fixed

hammergil
March 31st, 2010, 04:18 AM
thanks all for trying to help. I didn't want to delete any files b/c this was a problem for a user on my laptop, no problem with my profile. so i just created another profile for my son and put him in the same group as his old user and gave read/write privileges to users of that group. I then copied all his files over to his new profile, so we are set. Thanks again

Dayofswords
March 31st, 2010, 07:18 AM
thanks all for trying to help. I didn't want to delete any files b/c this was a problem for a user on my laptop, no problem with my profile. so i just created another profile for my son and put him in the same group as his old user and gave read/write privileges to users of that group. I then copied all his files over to his new profile, so we are set. Thanks again

anything changed in home (~) doesnt after anyone else
all things said here should have fixed it