PDA

View Full Version : 1 %er's Club...

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Here's how I'm looking at it...

...We are a small percent of the overall users, in the world of OS's.

Does this make us the bikers of the computer world? The 1%er's if you will...

If so, I'm glad I joined the club! :D

dragos240
March 30th, 2010, 01:59 AM

It's more like 2.5% now.

dragos240
March 30th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Actually! Look at this:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
This is a statistic taken from websites that put a tracker on their site, it checks the OS of the user. So I would say that's pretty good. Almost 5% :)

Groucho Marxist
March 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM
It's more like 2.5% now.

Some day, we'll turn it up to 11%

dragos240
March 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Some day, we'll turn it up to 11%

Some day, it will be over 9...... nevermind.

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Actually! Look at this:
This is a statistic taken from websites that put a tracker on their site, it checks the OS of the user. So I would say that's pretty good. Almost 5% :)

So the w3 stats determine the world percentage of linux users? I don't think so.

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Actually! Look at this:

@@ps, either way,,,

,,,I think you get the idea...

Shpongle
March 30th, 2010, 02:14 AM
So the w3 stats determine the world percentage of linux users? I don't think so.

no but its a good indication , and it has ms and apple roughly at where they should be so the same could be said for linux. most of the other statistics are FUD

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I'd love to see what kind of stats Google has. :D

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 02:16 AM
We're still something special...

Unique in our ways...

blueshiftoverwatch
March 30th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Linux users =/= outlaw bikers

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 02:21 AM

Biker doesn't always = bad.

Biker can mean bicycle rider too.

red_Marvin
March 30th, 2010, 02:47 AM
compulsory (http://xkcd.com/272/)

-grubby
March 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM
About the statistics: the w3schools site only does it's own site, and obviously there'd be a higher percentage of Linux users among the tech crowd who read that site.

Since Linux doesn't require licenses though, it's much harder to track the percentage. Personally I'd put it between 1-3%.

Wiebelhaus
March 30th, 2010, 02:59 AM
We are not gangsters and most "Bikers" are not either. The patch originates from a AMA (American Motorcycle Association) press conference about an incident were a group of bikers were involved in some ruckus and the AMA said in that press conference that only 1% of "Bikers" are involved in those types of criminal activities. I myself just happen to love a good chopper and a good Linux installation , But I would never try to associate myself with the criminal element.

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 03:05 AM
We are not gangsters and most "Bikers" are not either. The patch originates from a AMA (American Motorcycle Association) press conference about an incident were a group of bikers were involved in some ruckus and the AMA said in that press conference that only 1% of "Bikers" are involved in those types of criminal activities. I myself just happen to love a good chopper and a good Linux installation , But I would never try to associate myself with the criminal element.

Something like that...

disturbed1
March 30th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Nah, if your using Ubuntu, your the Honda Gold Wing riders. Arch users are Sportster owners. Slackware and LFS users are riding old rigid tales and pan heads.

NightwishFan
March 30th, 2010, 03:11 AM
http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu%2C+windows+7

Wiebelhaus
Something like that...

I don't understand what you mean by that.

Wiebelhaus
Nah, if your using Ubuntu, your the Honda Gold Wing riders. Arch users are Sportster owners. Slackware and LFS users are riding old rigid tales and pan heads.

HAHA , good one.

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I don't understand what you mean by that.

I just mean: we are the minority... This in it's self makes us something special...

You'll need to figure the rest out for yourself...

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 03:27 AM

;)

Phrea
March 30th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I feel really special now.

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 04:07 AM

LOL!

Sorry for wasting space,,,

This is funny though. :D

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 04:12 AM

It's good I mean...

No disrespect intended...

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2010, 07:10 AM
we're probably more like stamp collectors than bikers.

Meep3D
March 30th, 2010, 09:42 AM
The w3 schools site is a worthless sample. You might as well get results from Slashdot, or even here. Besides looking at it Linux growth has only gone from 3.3% to 4.6% in the last five years - which is hardly a meteoric rise.

I think the only metric that counts is real world usage. I admin a couple of dozen medium sized sites (totally non-tech oriented) and on average Linux usage sits at between 0.3-0.5%. Sure there probably is some sampling bias but those numbers seem more realistic. It's certainly not anywhere near 5%.

iRiUX
March 30th, 2010, 10:43 AM
The only entity that could release the MOST accurate statistics of how many Linux/etc users there are would be Google. Not only do they have stats of who uses their search engine (almost everyone), but every ad placed on so many sites also collects information about OS usage.

koshatnik
March 30th, 2010, 10:58 AM
It can't be measured.

Swagman
March 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
There's a BIG difference between Biker & Bikey

sydbat
March 30th, 2010, 03:06 PM
It can't be measured.This.

As stated earlier, there are no licences or sales or whatever to indicate how many people use Linux. Those figures only exist for Windows and OSX. However, it would not surprise me at all if Linux use was actually higher than 20%, as most people run a dual boot.

We will never really know unless each Linux install is required to be registered somewhere, just for accounting purposes. That will never happen, so the useless recurring discussions like this will continue...

Simian Man
March 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Yes you can measure Linux usage, just not exactly. In fact just about anything worth measuring has to be measured inexactly.

For operating system usage, you can look at web sites that track the operating system reported by the web browsers people use. Here you must be careful that the sample is fair. w3schools, as someone posted earlier, is a terrible example because the only site in that sample is a resource for web developers - who obviously will be more technically inclined than average.

A better sample is available from w3counter (http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) which includes data from tens of thousands of different sites. Note that this is measuring desktop usage, because servers obviously don't request pages from these sites.

Just because there is no exact number of Linux installs doesn't mean that it could be any number. If you think that Linux has more than 3% of desktop Linux marketshare, you are totally deluding yourself.

Wiebelhaus
March 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
we're probably more like stamp collectors than bikers.

lol , yep.

spupy
March 31st, 2010, 01:12 AM
Oh noes! If the Linux share nears 10% I might have to switch to something else. I think BSD has a low enough user share so that I feel 1337 using it.
Hm, or maybe switch to Haiku? That will extend my nerd-license some 100 years. :D

shrimpy89
April 1st, 2010, 04:13 AM
Some day, it will be over 9...... nevermind.

bwahahaha I think I know where you were going with that

plainswolf
April 1st, 2010, 07:23 AM
If it gets up to 12%, would that kind of make Linux users like the Dirty Dozen or the Black Sheep?