PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Computer" icon on desk top unwanted how to delete?

matter2012
March 29th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 i cannot delete this icon called computer off my desktop no matter what i do its really annoying it wont let me move to trash and if i drag it to the trash it says cannot move items to trash,do you want to delete them immediately? and i click delete and it does nothing any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matter

coffeecat
March 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Press Alt-F2, and type 'gconf-editor' and click 'run'. Now, apps > nautilus > desktop and untick 'computer_icon_visible'.

By the way, the Ubuntu default is not to have the Computer icon showing. You, or an app you installed, must have enabled it.

ajgreeny
March 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Use gconf-editor->apps->nautilus->desktop and remove the selection to show computer icon; simple!

You can add and remove a few other icons that way as well.

matter2012
March 29th, 2010, 10:46 PM
THANK YOU it might have been me i like to play around with stuff and some times mess things up thanks again

mixim
October 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
WOuld just like to bump this in saying that, in GNOME 3 you can toggle individual desktop icons with gnome tweak tool or "advanced settings". It's located in the "Desktop" section.

sffvba[e0rt
October 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Bump noted but not relevant to the thread in question (and thread closed due to necromancy).