PDA

View Full Version : Say good-bye to Linux on the PS3

sdowney717
March 29th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Those who own an older PS3 version and currently run Linux on the console will want to listen up: a new firmware update coming down later this week will kill that installation.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10471356-17.html

kyle99
March 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Erg. I hate you Sony.

dragos240
March 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
"Although Sony wants PS3 owners to download the software, it said that users won't be forced to do so."

Hman242
March 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but eventually there is going to be a big firmware update that we will have to install, and it's going to include this new "feature".

dragos240
March 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I bet someone can figure out how to obtain, and hack the firmware, allowing PS3 users to use the other OS option.

murderslastcrow
March 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
No more HDTV Miro for me. :C Guess I'll get a VGA cord and use my laptop, PFFT. STUPID.

I guess the Linux support sucked in the first place- maybe we'll find a way to mod the PS3 and dual-boot later, anyway, then we can actually USE it. Sony 'Computer' Entertainment? Rrrrgh. The PS3 would make the best desktop computer if they'd just allow us to use it to the fullest. They could put Apple out of business, man.

Like, just imagine if they just put a glorified Linux OS on it. It could totally rip those Mac Minis a new one, given the price.

LowSky
March 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
No more HDTV Miro for me. :C Guess I'll get a VGA cord and use my laptop, PFFT. STUPID.

I just use mediatomb and my PS3 picks up the media over the LAN.

Phrea
March 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
According to Sony, it plans to release PlayStation 3 firmware version 3.21 on Thursday to achieve one goal: eliminate the "Other OS" option currently available in all pre-Slim models of the video game console.
Thursday happens to be april 1st.
Just saying.

Can't imagine this being an april fools joke, but it is the date mentioned.

MaxIBoy
March 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
That's pretty lame, especially since Linux support was advertised as a feature.

But this should be a lesson to those who think consoles are better than PCs.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Thursday happens to be april 1st.
Just saying.

Can't imagine this being an april fools joke, but it is the date mentioned.

Keep in mind that the PSN Store is updated on thursdays. :|

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
The PS3 would make the best desktop computer if they'd just allow us to use it to the fullest. They could put Apple out of business, man.

Um...no.

handy
March 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Due to the recent $200+ (Oz) price drop, I could finally justify buying one of the new PS3s. They are different by design, accepting no flash cards, no Linux can be installed, no PS2 compatibility; they also use less power.

Shame they didn't stick 1GB of RAM in the things though; the RAM limitation was always the biggest drawback as far as running Linux on the things too.

For the price of a medium quality graphics card, I no longer have to put up with the complications/limitations of gaming on Linux.

Good value in my opinion.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM
The PS3 is already dead last in this generation's console race as it is. Cutting the price, lowering energy consumption, making the console smaller, etc are all positive things. But, why would they think that taking out features that cost nothing to implement would improve their position? Granted, I doubt anyone except a few uber-hardcore Linux nerds bought a PS3 who otherwise wouldn't have just because you could install Linux. But still, why take it out?

Like, just imagine if they just put a glorified Linux OS on it. It could totally rip those Mac Minis a new one, given the price.
The PS3 could never replace the desktop PC. Because modern desktop's these days have at least 2GB of RAM while the PS3 only has 256MB. Also, the PS3 uses the Power architecture while most applications and Linux distros only support IA-32 and x64.

Open source applications could be recompiled to run on the PS3's Cell processors. But based on my limited knowledge I'm not sure if it's always that simple. For example, if you look at the size of the repos of *nix distros like Debian or some of the various BSD's, which support a ton of architectures. The IA-32 and x64 repos are generally a lot bigger than some of the less used (ARM, MIPS) architectures.

If all it took was a simple re-compile of the software with no other modifications than I would think with the exception of a few non-free packages, they could just setup a script to auto-compile the latest versions of XYZ software for every architecture the distro supported. Supporting multiple architectures probably results in bugs that are only inherent to certain architectures and not others popping up and needing fixed. Which requires a certain user base that uses that architecture to submit bug reports and fixes, the devs can't do it all themselves.

Not to mention that while supporting an architecture is one thing. Programming an application to take advantage of the Cell processor's huge number of cores would be so time consuming for it's relatively low market share that I doubt anyone would want to do it. As it stands now, high intensity application's are just now starting to take advantage of multi-cored CPU's in the PC world. If someone released an application they'd not only have to get the application to work well with Intel and AMD's x64 multi-cored CPU's. They'd also have to get it to work well on the PS3's multi-cored CPU, which is an entirely different animal.

You also can forget about any proprietary apps (Flash, Skype, Windows games through WINE) supporting the architecture. Linux on IA-32 and x64 desktop machines is iffy enough in the minds of most people because a few of their favorite or necessary proprietary applications won't run or won't run well on it. It would be 10x worse on a Linux distro that ran on an obscure architecture to boot.

handy
March 30th, 2010, 02:51 AM
The PS3 is already dead last in this generation's console race as it is.

The prime impediment that the PS3 has had to deal with, is the immense difficulty that the CELL architecture presents to game dev's. This has slowed down the release impeded the quality of games for some time, though times are changing. The PS3s rate of sale grew last year where all other consoles shrunk. So something is happening to increase for the PS3s popularity, & through an economic downturn too.

Cutting the price, lowering energy consumption, making the console smaller, etc are all positive things. But, why would they think that taking out features that cost nothing to implement would improve their position?

They have made a cheaper PS3, which is definitely improving their sales. Making it smaller & cheaper to run helps re. adding to the home entertainment system. I've spoken to a long time PS/2/3 user who said that there were problems with using PS2 games on the PS3 (sorry no details).

Granted, I doubt anyone except a few uber-hardcore Linux nerds bought a PS3 who otherwise wouldn't have just because you could install Linux. But still, why take it out?

I've never heard anyone who used Yellow Dog Linux on a PS3 say it was worthwhile. You really need to be in a situation where using a PS3 cluster is worthwhile, &/or your university is paying for them for you anyway. & everyone including the professors complain about the inability to increase the RAM from 256MB. It was always a limiting factor when running Linux on the PS3, it made it slow.

The PS3 could never replace the desktop PC.

Unless you just surf the web.

The PS3 surely is a great adjunct to a Linux desktop, as it makes playing great games so easy, & relatively cheap (now). I buy 2nd hand games for between $20 - $30 (Oz).

Open source applications could be recompiled to run on the PS3's Cell processors. But based on my limited knowledge I'm not sure if it's always that simple. For example, if you look at the size of the repos of *nix distros like Debian or some of the various BSD's, which support a ton of architectures. The IA-32 and x64 repos are generally a lot bigger than some of the less used (ARM, MIPS) architectures.

Why bother?

Dr. C
March 30th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Here is the link from Sony (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/)

This is more than just an April Fool's joke. If you are a company considering releasing a nasty anti-consumer "feature" why not send a trail balloon on April 1? If the backlash is bad enough all the PR department has to say is: April Fool.

The most likely reason to block GNU / Linux on the PS3 is to prevent the DRM in the device from being trampled to death by a herd of stampeding GNUs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scG3VeHFzVE&feature=related). There is nothing in this for the end user.

LowSky
March 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Some guy cracked the PS3 coding, and Sony is afraid it will lead to someone craking the DRM to movie rentals and movies. Imagine paying $2.99 for a movie that sells for $19.99, and only needing to have cracked PS3. This fix is to make sure these holes are fixed.

I got the last PS3 with "software" PS2 emulation. Do I play my old games, no. So sony was right to get rid of the feature. Do I use Flash memory, yes, but not on my PS3, so that could go as well. Do I use all 4 USB ports. No I'm lucky to use one for Guitar Hero or charging a controller. Heck I usually charge my controllers of my PC.

Did I ever try to install Linux on my PS3, no. The hardware is very limited, its uses Cell architecture, and has little ram, and doesn't allow use of the whole CPU.

So what is my PS3 used for; Game playing and Movie Watching, mostly DVD's, a few Blu-Ray (not many, cost prohibitive), and streaming from my Media Center and my desktop PCs.. Now if they took away the option to connect to UPnP networks I would be furious.

Tristam Green
March 30th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Some guy cracked the PS3 coding, and Sony is afraid it will lead to someone craking the DRM to movie rentals and movies. Imagine paying $2.99 for a movie that sells for $19.99, and only needing to have cracked PS3. This fix is to make sure these holes are fixed.

I got the last PS3 with "software" PS2 emulation. Do I play my old games, no. So sony was right to get rid of the feature. Do I use Flash memory, yes, but not on my PS3, so that could go as well. Do I use all 4 USB ports. No I'm lucky to use one for Guitar Hero or charging a controller. Heck I usually charge my controllers of my PC.

Did I ever try to install Linux on my PS3, no. The hardware is very limited, its uses Cell architecture, and has little ram, and doesn't allow use of the whole CPU.

So what is my PS3 used for; Game playing and Movie Watching, mostly DVD's, a few Blu-Ray (not many, cost prohibitive), and streaming from my Media Center and my desktop PCs.. Now if they took away the option to connect to UPnP networks I would be furious.

Guess what?

None of that matters, because Sony advertised it and now they're pulling the rug out from under people.

forrestcupp
March 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
At least it's not as bad as the xbox 360. People who had Linux installed on them ended up getting banned from Xbox Live for life. Once a machine is banned, there is absolutely no way of getting it unbanned without disabling another machine that hasn't been banned.

I was given an Xbox 360 that was already banned. It plays games, but I'll never be able to install patches.

Bachstelze
March 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
As long as I can still run NetBSD on my Dreamcast...

dragos240
March 30th, 2010, 10:12 PM
as long as i can still run netbsd on my dreamcast...

must try.

tghe-retford
March 30th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I have a real problem with Sony linking Linux with "security threat". First the BBC takes action against open source software on the grounds of "preventing piracy" and now Sony do this. Whilst we will brush it off, it can't make the Linux community and OS look good in the eyes of the public with major organisations linking it with piracy and security threats, something that could be done with any other OS.

NightwishFan
March 30th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I am glad I gave up gaming and did not purchase a ps3. Whoever said dreamcast now that was a system.

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have a real problem with Sony linking Linux with "security threat". First the BBC takes action against open source software on the grounds of "preventing piracy" and now Sony do this. Whilst we will brush it off, it can't make the Linux community and OS look good in the eyes of the public with major organisations linking it with piracy and security threats, something that could be done with any other OS.

Guess what? It's not Sony saying "you cannot have Linux on the PS3 because it's a security risk".

It's Sony saying "you cannot have any *other* Operating System on the PS3 because we deem it to be a security risk."

Nowhere in Sony's blogs was Linux explicitly or implicitly mentioned.

jrothwell97
March 31st, 2010, 01:21 PM
Guess what? It's not Sony saying "you cannot have Linux on the PS3 because it's a security risk".

It's Sony saying "you cannot have any *other* Operating System on the PS3 because we deem it to be a security risk."

This.

Also, from what I hear the Linux experience on the PS3 wasn't particularly good anyway, given that there are relatively few PPC distributions available. (Bottom line, this box is designed to play games, not to run OpenOffice.org.)

If you want to run Linux, use a fully-featured computer.

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2010, 01:35 PM
This.

Also, from what I hear the Linux experience on the PS3 wasn't particularly good anyway, given that there are relatively few PPC distributions available. (Bottom line, this box is designed to play games, not to run OpenOffice.org.)

If you want to run Linux, use a fully-featured computer.

++

i don't agree with the move particularly because I was hoping to set up a PS3 media center, but I'm effectively over it now. I'm just hoping that Sony doesn't get in trouble over "false advertisement".

Jaecyn42
March 31st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Tristam, Sony doesn't have to worry about false advertising charges so much as being sued for Bait and Switch.

"Someone" has written a fairly detailed thread on the PS3 forums discussing the legal implications of this Firmware update.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Updates/FW-3-21-and-Consumer-Right-s-Law-No-Conjecture-Just-Facts/td-p/45454241

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Tristam, Sony doesn't have to worry about false advertising charges so much as being sued for Bait and Switch.

"Someone" has written a fairly detailed thread on the PS3 forums discussing the legal implications of this Firmware update.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Updates/FW-3-21-and-Consumer-Right-s-Law-No-Conjecture-Just-Facts/td-p/45454241

that's the term i was looking for, thank you Jaecyn42.

amitabhishek
March 31st, 2010, 07:34 PM
I have a 80GB fat PS3 on which I had installed PPC/PS3 version of Ubuntu. This piece of news comes to me as a complete shocker! So now I have a PS3 which is 35% fat; consumes 35% more power and can't install other OS! Talk about being an early adopter and getting $crewed! :mad:

What next Sony? Disabling Blu-ray support!:mad:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

Pekkalainen
March 31st, 2010, 07:53 PM
I am selling my PS3 now and buying a small quiet PC with Ubuntu installed. Screw Sony. They wont be getting my money any more. This was the last straw. I am officially boycotting them for life.

Is it because of KDE's relatively new file manager called Dolphin that the japaneese are doing this? (Southpark joke)

NoaHall
March 31st, 2010, 08:12 PM
I can say that hardly anyone has used this feature. The real people losing out are the ones who made clusters using the PS3's hardware.

tghe-retford
March 31st, 2010, 08:30 PM

Look elsewhere on other forums - people specifically linking Linux with piracy and hacking. Here is one example: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1236594

descendent87
March 31st, 2010, 08:50 PM
I tried a load of different distro's on my PS3....all of them were rubbish so I wiped it back. Now I just use mediatomb to stream media to it from my PC, works perfect.
So personally I'm not bothered about losing this feature

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2010, 08:50 PM
Look elsewhere on other forums - people specifically linking Linux with piracy and hacking. Here is one example: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1236594

Dubious sources at best. If it's not from the PlayStation blog and explicitly stated, anyone can assume anything.

tghe-retford
March 31st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Dubious sources at best. If it's not from the PlayStation blog and explicitly stated, anyone can assume anything.
The reason why the press and individuals are stating Linux is because of an exploit made by George Hotz (geohot) who used Linux (Ubuntu according to the link below) to gain full access to the memory which could be used to run PS2 emulation or for more illicit reasons. This is why people are stating Linux because the "security threat" is widely believed to be as a result of Hotz's exploit.

From the horses mouth (as the saying goes): http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/heres-your-silver-platter.html

And from the BBC no-less:

The exploit, released by hacker Geohot, used a machine running a variant of the Linux operating system.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8594720.stm

doorknob60
March 31st, 2010, 10:21 PM
I just use mediatomb and my PS3 picks up the media over the LAN.

This, except I use PS3mediaserver (both do the same thing). Linux is just way too inconvenient to use on the PS3, and not worth using. Doesn't bother me too much, but I don't get the point of purposefully removing the option, let people use it if they want, not like it takes extra work on Sony's end (I wouldn't think it does...)

gemmakaru
March 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM
I don't think they have made the right descision but I don't really care, A carefully put together PC will offer so much more to someone wanting to run Linux. Overclocking, water cooling, huge choice of RAM and Graphics, connectivity etc. Locking them down like this does sound mean though, they aren't going to gain any fans through this, especially people already running Linux on their PS3.

bieber
April 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM
++

i don't agree with the move particularly because I was hoping to set up a PS3 media center, but I'm effectively over it now. I'm just hoping that Sony doesn't get in trouble over "false advertisement".

Wait what? You want companies to be able to pull blatant Bait and Switch like this and not get in trouble for it? You're actually hoping that they won't have to answer legally for selling an expensive device while advertising a feature, and then removing said feature from the device?

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 1st, 2010, 12:54 AM
Wait what? You want companies to be able to pull blatant Bait and Switch like this and not get in trouble for it? You're actually hoping that they won't have to answer legally for selling an expensive device while advertising a feature, and then removing said feature from the device?

That is why there will be a PS3 patch jailbreak.

handy
April 1st, 2010, 01:07 AM
I can say that hardly anyone has used this feature. The real people losing out are the ones who made clusters using the PS3's hardware.

How are they losing?

People that do that are number crunching, they aren't playing games.

They just choose not to upgrade the firmware.

Tom.Gee
April 2nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
How are they losing? ... They just choose not to upgrade the firmware.Which tends to render their application stagnant. And even if what it does today is all you will ever want it to do until the end of time, as hardware inevitably fails, there shall be far fewer replacement options. Take it from a Windows user - when features you made use of and even depended on are taken away and 'phased out' it takes the momentum out of your projects. I can sympathize.

handy
April 2nd, 2010, 03:57 AM
Which tends to render their application stagnant.

I think that that is a bit thin. As a cheap cluster the PS3s are ok, Yellow Dog will keep on keeping on whilst ever it is worth it to them. The open-source software will keep running on the PS3 & can continue to be modified as desired.

And eventually, everything gets replaced, with or without a more efficient alternative...

supershin
April 2nd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Jaecyn42 I read part of the thread on the ps board, good work. They had to resort to insults, attacking your status and leading you in a round-about fashion with questions. Wow, what a campaign.

Tom.Gee
April 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
I think that that is a bit thin. ... And eventually, everything gets replaced, with or without a more efficient alternative...Fair enough.

It troubles me nonetheless when good, practical features (i.e., the ones I use and like :) ) are removed. I've come across this issue many times over the past few decades. While I TOTALLY wouldn't bother installing Ubuntu on a PS3, I can sympathize with those who would wish to. I wonder why it is that Sony couldn't simply stop supporting the 'Other OS' feature, including perhaps a disclaimer (use at your own risk, not supported, do not call tech support, etc.) within the 'Other OS' feature, leaving the feature set in stone in its most recent stage of development, and yet continue to update those features that they intend to support. This would make for good relations with those crazy (or shrewd) few that want to use a PlayStation as a WorkStation, including those who simply like the concept of such a feature even though they will never actually use it themselves, while not impacting their mainstream users in the slightest. It just seems good business sense to me.

handy
April 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
I agree with you Tom.Gee.

It certainly would have been better for the users if there wasn't this one or the other lockout situation.

If I was using the Other OS feature, I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with Sony at the moment.

beetleman64
April 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I think that people are making this a bigger deal of this than they should. Let's face it, the PS3 is a games console, not a PC and, at least on my set up, surely using a TV as a monitor isn't ideal.

Give it a month and nobody will remeber that the PS3 ever ran Linux.

handy
April 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
I think that people are making this a bigger deal of this than they should. Let's face it, the PS3 is a games console, not a PC and, at least on my set up, surely using a TV as a monitor isn't ideal.

My PS3 plugs directly into the digital input on a 24" Samsung computer monitor, shared with computer box.2.

Give it a month and nobody will remember that the PS3 ever ran Linux.

Except for those people that it effects.

Jaecyn42
April 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM

To be fair, Beetleman, the PS3 Fat was marketed as a "Computer Entertainment System", not as a gaming console.

Sony even avoided import taxes on gaming consoles in many nations because it was marketed as a computer capable of running Linux.

NightwishFan
April 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Someone once said to me the ps3 is not a computer and that is was different. They were wrong.

The fact the ps3 does not run Linux (by choice) is enough to make me not buy it. It does seem to be bait and switch, and I would like to run my custom stuff on it, if anything. Even if I do not use Linux on it, the fact someone was interesting enough to let us try it was cool. Guess not. Glad I quit gaming before this generation of consoles. I am thinking about buying a Pandora though.

Dr. C
April 3rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
To be fair, Beetleman, the PS3 Fat was marketed as a "Computer Entertainment System", not as a gaming console.

Sony even avoided import taxes on gaming consoles in many nations because it was marketed as a computer capable of running Linux.

Is SONY then guilty of tax evasion or tax fraud in those countries?

Jaecyn42
April 3rd, 2010, 03:02 AM
Is SONY then guilty of tax evasion or tax fraud in those countries?

You would think so.

Only time will tell.

Sadly, trolls got the best of my thread on the PS3 forums. It was just locked. :(

Still, its nice to be home. Things are so much more pleasant and civil on the Ubuntu forums.

madhi19
April 3rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
My rage toward this lame move by Sony is lessened by the fact that some major distro are dropping PPC support anyway. I still don't like it and I wonder what feature is next? For one thing I hate to lose the media server part of my ps3.

handy
April 3rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
You would think so.

Only time will tell.

Sadly, trolls got the best of my thread on the PS3 forums. It was just locked. :(

Still, its nice to be home. Things are so much more pleasant and civil on the Ubuntu forums.

I read the first half dozen pages of that huge thread in the PS3 forums.

It is interesting (& frustrating) to see the variety of ways a number of people will (mis-)understand the same thing...

It is such a shame when people get personal, instead of having an intelligent discussion/debate. :(

robertneville777
April 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM

Bullcrap.

You know the only reason I'm using Linux at all?

I had no computer and only a PS3. I needed a word-processing program to type up my essays, so I installed Linux. Now I have Linux as my main OS on two computers that I built. If it wasn't for the PS3, I wouldn't even know about Linux.

<snip>

witeshark17
April 6th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Not sure why anyone would put Linux on a game console in the first place... :guitar:

handy
April 6th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Not sure why anyone would put Linux on a game console in the first place... :guitar:

Out of necessity <see above>; for the adventure, & as used in some universities & businesses to form a cluster, using Yellow Dog Linux, as the CELL processor is a powerhouse.

Nicolas.Perrault
April 6th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Out of necessity <see above>; for the adventure, & as used in some universities & businesses to form a cluster, using Yellow Dog Linux, as the CELL processor is a powerhouse.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1447304&highlight=Attention+PS3+users

handy
April 6th, 2010, 08:00 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1447304&highlight=Attention+PS3+users

Excellent news. :D

Thanks for posting the link. If I had a fat PS3 I'd be using the 2nd option right now. :)

Even though I have no current desire to run an otherOS on my slim PS3. It is just good insurance for the fatties.

robin1221
April 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Actually,linux is not a good game plate form.

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Actually,linux is not a good game plate form.

If I can run Angels Online in Wine on Ubuntu, it's a good gaming platform.

chappajar
April 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Looks like if you live in Europe the law entitles you to compensation even if you didn't use the Other OS feature, and without returning the machine.

Some guy has already received his refund: http://marisonreadings.blogspot.com/2010/04/ps3-owner-refunded-without-return-for.html

sdowney717
April 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
If enough people get refunds perhaps sony changes its mind??
I dont think they are willing to change their mind. I thought they made this change due to DRM issues related to playing illegal movies when using
'other OS'(LINUX). enabled by some hacker exploit.
Meaning movie makers might desire to sue Sony for damages if this was left as it was.

tkblackbelt
April 9th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Geohot may be releasing a cfw for the ps3 http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/

squilookle
April 9th, 2010, 11:47 PM
The prime impediment that the PS3 has had to deal with, is the immense difficulty that the CELL architecture presents to game dev's. This has slowed down the release impeded the quality of games for some time, though times are changing.

If memory serves correctly, was it not a similar problem that led to the death of the Sega Saturn - I think it had 2 processors that made it difficult to write for? Anyway, this is a shame and, if I had bought the console and this was an advertised feature, then I would be annoyed. However, I imagine they can get away with it because few people use the feature.

Gallahhad
April 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10471356-17.html
It never worked well anyway. No loss in my opinion.

handy
April 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
If memory serves correctly, was it not a similar problem that led to the death of the Sega Saturn - I think it had 2 processors that made it difficult to write for? Anyway, this is a shame and, if I had bought the console and this was an advertised feature, then I would be annoyed. However, I imagine they can get away with it because few people use the feature.

I bought a "Slim" PS3, because of the price drop. I don't want it for anything else but playing games. It has opened up the world of gaming for me who primarily uses Linux but does also have OS X, which I don't like.

Gaming is now simple & cheap (2nd hand games).

So, the loss of these features (which can now be sidestepped as posted earlier in this thread) does not effect my use of the PS3. I am irritated at what Sony have done though.

The biggest problem will be for those that have upgraded their firmware before finding out about the processes that will allow them to sidestep Sony's imposition.

chappajar
April 10th, 2010, 01:57 AM
If enough people get refunds perhaps sony changes its mind??
I dont think they are willing to change their mind. I thought they made this change due to DRM issues related to playing illegal movies when using
'other OS'(LINUX). enabled by some hacker exploit.
Meaning movie makers might desire to sue Sony for damages if this was left as it was.

There's no law yet (but ACTA could change this) that makes Sony liable for what PS users do with their PS.
I think they did this because Geo-whatsisname cracked the PS3 using a Linux install to get full read/write access to the machine.

Imagine if just 100,000 European PS owners get refunds. I doubt the retailers will be happy paying these from their pocket, they will ask Sony for reimbursement.
If Sony has to pay 8+ million pounds for that then I think reinstatement of the Other OS is something they would at least discuss.

handy
April 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I believe that Geo-whatsisname cracked it using a hacked firmware.

RabbitWho
April 11th, 2010, 01:40 AM
http://tiny.cc/x555k
A resourceful guy in the UK thinks that Sony's disabling of the "Install Other OS" feature from the PS3 violates EU standards. Amazon, the e-tailer from which he bought the console, agrees.
A moderator on the popular gaming forum Neogaf sent a complaint to Amazon asking for some sort of compensation because his PS3 no longer worked as advertised.
The gamer, who goes by the name "iapetus," pointed to European law Directive 1999/44/EC, which states in part that goods sold must "comply with the description given by the seller" and that all necessary features be "made known to the seller at the time of purchase."
http://www.tgdaily.com/sites/default/files/stock/450teaser/sony/ps3-xmb.jpg
Clearly, the fact that Sony remotely and voluntarily disabled the Other OS feature makes the case that the description "at the time of purchase" is now invalid.
Amazon sent an e-mail back to the smart consumer, saying, "We are writing to confirm that we have processed your refund in the amount of £84.00." That's around $130, or around 20% of the cost of the PS3, which this guy must have bought at least 3 years ago.
It is likely that Amazon will pass this cost on to Sony, and it is an important decision that may require Sony to reconsider its decision to take out one of the system's most intriguing features.
Everyone in the UK who bought an older (i.e., non-slim) PS3 model should e-mail Amazon and request a similar refund. That will make Sony turn its head.

(sorry for the over-simplified title, going for catchy-ness)

astrobot
April 11th, 2010, 01:43 AM
It's nearly 2 o'clock in the morning, what you doing up?

RabbitWho
April 11th, 2010, 01:46 AM
My power cut at 6 and it was getting dark, so i tidied till it was dark and went to bed at 7, i don't have any candles or anything and anyway I can't read in the dark. My lights came back on at 1 so I got up. And actually it's nearly 3 o clock where I live.

blithen
April 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Just another reason for me to move to Europe!

Wiebelhaus
April 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
That's Awesome! I might actually buy one if I could pull this off.

cariboo
April 11th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Merged two threads on the same subject.

Khakilang
April 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Say good bye to Sony. If they loose market share they will think again.

perham
April 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I've got a PS3, and I've installed Ubuntu on it, and it's working perfectly for me now, the only downside is the lack of a powerful graphic card which forces me to use metacity instead of compiz. I won't ever downgrade to version 3.21!

although, geohotz recently released a custom 3.21 firmware which includes Other OS function, and he may even be able to add Other OS feature to Slim PS3s which didn't have this feature in the first place!

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/04/otheros-supported-on-321oo.html

Here is a video demoing my "custom firmware". It's not any sort of version string change; I would have added something showing off the new features of 3.21, but oh wait, there aren't any.

This can be installed without having to open up your PS3, just by restoring a custom generated PUP file, but only from 3.15 or previous. It's possible this CFW will also work on the slim to actually *enable* OtherOS; I'll know when my infectus gets here.

No release date yet, use the proxy hack to play online with 3.15

gemmakaru
April 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Although I probably won't ever install Linux on my PS3 I still havn't updated with the new patch as I want the option in case I change my mind. I am not willing to give up a feature no matter how much the console nags me to do so.

handy
April 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM
That's Awesome! I might actually buy one if I could pull this off.

Can you still buy a new fat PS3?

trig
April 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM
"Note to the people who removed OtherOS, you are potentially turning 100000+ legit users into "hackers." There was a huge(20x) traffic spike to this blog after the announcement of 3.21. If I had ads on this site I guess I'd be thanking you."

WOW is all i got ot say!

RabbitWho
April 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Merged two threads on the same subject.

That's a bit silly because it's not the same subject and you know full well that no one is reading past the first page of this thread anymore.

If enough people claim their money back Sony will reverse their decision, attention needs to be drawn to it, but you're worried about the boards being neat so fine.

The right thing to do would have been to close this thread and link it to mine so everyone would realize they could get their money back from their PS3s because of this.

handy
April 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Plenty of PS3 owners have been following the original thread here, & I disagree with you, it is the same topic.

bobbob1016
April 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
There is a DNS server that you can plug into your settings, and it'll allow you to keep 3.15 and go online, which allows you to keep Other OS for now.

However this proves that if Sony gave full PS3 access, and didn't limit what resources the Other OS had access to (apart from the Blu-Ray drive) this wouldn't have happened. Well, someone would hack it, but the only reason would be for copying games since there is no Linux Blu-Ray player afaik, and not to simply get access to more RAM or CPU Cores than the PS3 OS allows for.