PDA

View Full Version : Do you use ONLY Ubuntu?

Tryer(ForLife)
March 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hi, by ONLY i mean do you have some other OS installed either physically, ergo dual boot, or in a virtual machine?

I'm asking cause i can't seem to do it, the main things that bother me are my printer and CD/DVD burning. I'm not much of a gamer so i that's not a problem, and for rest of the apps that i need i manage with Wine and VirtualBox.

Printer is a problem cause if i use it in ubuntu it sucks a lot of ink and i can't see how much ink i have and so on and so on. Burning is a problem cause i don't know if discs will be compatible with players and so on, on mine it is, i don't know for others so i use win for that :(...

I think i can use printer in VirtualBox, i noticed i can add it there, will try to install it there and see how it goes.

So how about you?

_h_
March 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
100% Lucid baby.

Phrea
March 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM
In one month time: yes.
Converted 2 of 3 boxes to Ubuntu installs only, this one is waiting for Lucid.

new_tolinux
March 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
No.
Ubuntu (alternate-desktop version) is used mostly for server purposes (apache+mysql+vmware+sabnzbd).
Win7 is the main OS on my pc although I have it dual boot with 9.10 and have 10.04 as wubi-install.

lisati
March 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
One desktop with a CLI install of Ubuntu 6.06, occasionally used as a back to my web server
One desktop dual boot XP & Ubuntu 9.04 server, usually runs as a server, XP retained so I can use the software that came with my mobile phone
Laptop dual boot: Ubuntu 9.04 for day-to-day stuff (email, surfing etc), Vista Home Premium mainly for video editing.

Paqman
March 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I've got 2 purely Ubuntu machines, 2 dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu ones, and a NAS with VMs from a whole slew of OSes parked on it. I guess that makes me a "no".

dragos240
March 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Nope. I use 100% linux. Gentoo & debian squeeze to be more specific.

nothingspecial
March 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I voted yes but I actually mean no.

I use a few linux distros but nothing else.

I use only linux because it was the first thing I used, and no matter how many times I try, I can`t figure out windows.

LMP900
March 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Until mid-February, I was using only Ubuntu (since 2006). But I recently bought an iMac since I was tired of using only a laptop as my main machine.

It was easy to run only Ubuntu at school since students had access to multiple computer labs when one needed a printer or Microsoft Office. Now that I'm almost done, I'll probably stick to an iMac + Ubuntu-laptop combination from now on.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I use ONLY Debian.

Poll is flawed. needs a "No, I use ONLY _____ (please specify)"

Bachstelze
March 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
No. There is no "one size fits all". ;)

gavintlgold
March 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Can't on my laptop--for school I need to use NX and some other Windows programs.

As for my desktop, I would use only ubuntu if only I could play computer games without wine.

thekanuk
March 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Yup, 100%, two bots. :D

agnes
March 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
No, also Puppy on an old laptop, & Vista on a separate partition.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Nope. I use Ubuntu and Windows 7. I also occasionally try out other distros like Arch, Fedora, and OpenSuse.

FuturePilot
March 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I do mostly everything in Ubuntu. I only use Windows for gaming. I do have 3 pure Ubuntu machines though. :D

Simian Man
March 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Nope. I use Fedora, Arch and Windows (in that order). Also using only one operating system is nothing to be particularly proud of.

ajgreeny
March 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Got rid of Windows XP when I installed karmic, but to be honest I had not actually used windows for about 5 years' when I went lock stock and barrel over to ubuntu. I first installed it with 5.04, and have never looked back since.

Rather like nothingspecial, I now find windows methods of doing things totally baffling, but I accept that is simply because I'm not used to it any more. I do think, however, that it shows that neither system is better or worse than the other; they are just different, and for my purposes, ubuntu is the most appropriate for me.

alket
March 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Two pc one with ubuntu one with windows 7

I always use Ubuntu but I keep windows 7 to see how are things going in that OS.

llawwehttam
March 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I use Ubuntu on my laptop, Arch Linux on my desktop, debian on my servers, Fedora on my work machine and xubuntu on my netbook. Sadly XP is still on the family machine.

MooPi
March 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Just installed Windows 7 on a new expensive gaming rig I built (expensive for me 1,500). It is only used for gaming and I will not install any multimedia or office applications. I must admit the install process was easy and painless an install I've ever experienced on a Windows box. The new SSD drive may explain some of that and I'm considering a small SSD for one of my Linux boxes. For all intents and purposes Linux fills my essential needs for a computer. If I could only get the gaming monkey off my back I could give up Windows entirely.

speedwell68
March 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I use Ubuntu on this machine and my Netbook. I use my laptop as a test bed for other OSes, it is currently running FreeBSD 8.0. I have to use XP on my machine at work, but I have no real choice in that. So yes I only use Ubuntu as my main OS on my main machines.

eyeofreason
March 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I use ONLY Debian.

Poll is flawed. needs a "No, I use ONLY _____ (please specify)"
Same here ,I use Ubuntu ,Mint and Kubuntu . All of those are Ubuntu based. If You want to have better luck with a printer. Next time you go to buy 1 look for an HP or some other well supported printer.

bigsmitty64
March 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
As of today!!! 10.04 Lucid!

MCVenom
March 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I use a pure Linux Mint 8 desktop pc (*Ubuntu Based :p) and I have a laptop (main computer) which dual boots Linux Mint 8 (Arch on VM as of yesterday) and Vista . Haven't booted Vista in months :D

So in a way, yes :p

Hyper Tails
March 29th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I Use Both Windows and Linux

I dual booted my desktop and laptop (no wubi)

Seano911
March 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
As of 4 days ago, I've only had Ubuntu installed.

voja15
March 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I'm using only Ubuntu. 9.10 karmic right now, but eagerly awaiting lucid 10.04 stable release. :)

tica vun
March 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I've only got Ubuntu 10.04 installed, does wine count?

superarthur
March 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Although I am a gamer, but my graphic card is so rubbish that it is no longer a reason for me to keep using windows.
However, there are so many files I need stored in my Windows partition, and I am too lazy to move them all to my Ubuntu partition.
Also, there are some ongoing coursework that is saved as word documents, I don't want them to be destroyed by moving them to open office. (I can start a new document in open office, but I don't feel safe moving an existing document to it.)

btw, I dual boot vista and ubuntu

Shpongle
March 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Nope. I use Fedora, Arch and Windows (in that order). Also using only one operating system is nothing to be particularly proud of.

this

my laptop is duel booting karmic with Debian lenny in vb/ win 7
& Desktop duel booting karmic /win 7

I dont even use the windows at all to be honest , I cant stand it but I have the option if I need it for college or I decide I wanna mess with a game or something

kleskjr
March 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Ubuntu is my main system. actually I have another Linux drive where I am experimenting with different distros, but think that I can answer positive :)

cdude42
March 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM
dual boot with vista. i havent used vista in forever though:p

Warpnow
March 30th, 2010, 12:20 AM
No. I have a debian lenny install which I use for some work related things.

k23
March 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I switched to Linux 3 months ago. And yes, I use only Ubuntu now.

rickbrice
March 30th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I have a sempron pro 3000+ I use for most everything with Ubuntu 9.10. I keep a windows machine for some stuff with ReplayTV boxes and Poopli Updates, but I'm getting the hang of doing this with Mongo under Ubuntu. I just built a Ubuntu 9.10 terrabyte monster to do high def recording with mythtv and its been an adventure. In all the help and all the howto's nothing is really as it seems. Atlanta Area.

JDShu
March 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Not including computers I have to use at work, yes. I keep planning to try out Arch or something but never get around to it.

chappajar
March 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I use Ubuntu only.

I don't understand what the OP means when he says he's worried about CD compatibility when burned on Ubuntu?

desnaike
March 30th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Yes/No I use 2 hdd ubuntu on first testing new distros on 2nd and since I started with ubu in 2006 (Dapper Drake) the other distros always lose to ubuntu and the 2nd drive is wiped until the next new distro comes out.

Dharmachakra
March 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I'm actually 100% Ubuntu-free at the moment. I've got Fedora on the netbook and Windows on the desktop.

B!aine
March 30th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I voted yes, and for this one computer that is true, it is only 9.10. All of my computers are single OS machines.

Dragonbite
March 30th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Almost.

I can't control work, so I have Windows XP there. Since all of the development is in .NET and SQL Server, moving from Windows will be difficult (but we're still working on it ;) )

Our "stable" machines (server, family desktop, laptop) are running 100% Ubuntu.

My laptop's primary OS is Ubuntu, but I'm a distro hopper so it is subject to change without much warning. Even then, though, since there are multiple hard drives available for it I usually have the "primary" running Ubuntu.

I have Windows 7 for learning (and supporting the family) but not really doing anything so I'm not sure if that counts..

So, should I vote "yes" or "no"?

Tryer(ForLife)
March 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
hehe, i didn't expect so much confusion about what counts and what doesn't. I only wanted to see when you can use just Linux on a computer, since the large majority of the world is hooked on windows.

I said only ubuntu, and i guess you can say yes if you use other distros, as long it's linux.
and i wanted to see if you use only linux without wine, no cheating ;).

i don't think i can edit the poll now, so we'll just have to live with this.

HP printers ink is expensive, at least to me, recently i heard that you can refill ink, i don't know if you can do that on all models. Also i didn't know that HP's are better supported for ubuntu when i was buying the printer.

Also what i meant when i said CD/DVD players is that if i burn it with Brasero in ubuntu will the disks work on DVD players, MP3 players in cars and so on. It works on my dvd player, but i don't know if it will on all of them, cause i have an option in Brasero "Increase compatibility with Windows", so i worry.

i hope i made myself clear.

BrokenKingpin
March 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I need Windows for application development, so no. Ubuntu is my primary OS though.

Random_Dude
March 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I dual-boot Ubuntu and win7.

If I had choice, I probably would try my best to learn enough to go 100% Ubuntu, but it's always useful to have a PC with the mainstream OS on it.
I just can't tell people to send me files in different formats and to use different programs for work just because I want to use Ubuntu. It would be selfish.

nothingspecial
March 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Rather like nothingspecial, I now find windows methods of doing things totally baffling, but I accept that is simply because I'm not used to it any more. I do think, however, that it shows that neither system is better or worse than the other; they are just different, and for my purposes, ubuntu is the most appropriate for me.

I make this point regularly.

When a new user posts (something like) "this isn`t like windows, and this doesn`t work like it does in windows, and this isn`t simple like it is in windows etc etc etc"......... I understand exactly what they are saying.

And everybody says, well you have to invest your time and realise that linux is different.....blah, blah, blah.....etc, etc, etc

And they are quite right. So it`s down to the individual. I know I don`t want to go about learning a new way to do exactly what I was doing before.

Back (sort of) on topic, there`s no way I`d ditch linux and go 100% windows because I would need my safety net.

Yes, I`m lazy. Yes, I would like them to work the same way. Yes, I realise they don`t, and know my limitations, so stick with what I know. For that reason I am (hopefully) never going to criticize someone who tries linux and gives up, even at the first hurdle.

I know I`m kind of stupid, because every time I acquire a new computer it comes with a fully functional OS that has been optimized for the hardware it ships with.

The longest windows has ever lasted on one of my boxes is 8 days.

I take my hat off to any and everybody who can learn a new operating system and ditch the one they have grown up with - I fully understand anyone who doesn`t want to or can`t.

Lukeaxx
March 30th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Just Ubuntu....

I made the switch from dual-boot to Ubuntu January this year ;)

Arand
March 30th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Penta-boot (for prospective gaming, and just because I can):
9.10, 10.04, XP, Vista, W7
Other distros (Crunchbang, systemrescuecd) used for liveUSB, cloning.
The Ubuntu installs are the only one's used frequently (at all, almost)
- Arand

Grifulkin
March 30th, 2010, 11:09 PM
hehe, i didn't expect so much confusion about what counts and what doesn't. I only wanted to see when you can use just Linux on a computer, since the large majority of the world is hooked on windows.

I said only ubuntu, and i guess you can say yes if you use other distros, as long it's linux.
and i wanted to see if you use only linux without wine, no cheating ;).

i don't think i can edit the poll now, so we'll just have to live with this.

HP printers ink is expensive, at least to me, recently i heard that you can refill ink, i don't know if you can do that on all models. Also i didn't know that HP's are better supported for ubuntu when i was buying the printer.

Also what i meant when i said CD/DVD players is that if i burn it with Brasero in ubuntu will the disks work on DVD players, MP3 players in cars and so on. It works on my dvd player, but i don't know if it will on all of them, cause i have an option in Brasero "Increase compatibility with Windows", so i worry.

i hope i made myself clear.

I am pretty confident in the fact that I could go purely Linux, my laptop is strictly Arch, never run into any problems. There might be a chance that, the Arch install will change to a Slackware install, haven't decided yet. I haven't used ubuntu in a long time, just don't like it is all. On my desktop however I have Win7 and that is the only windows partition I have on all my computers. Well that and my netbook but my netbook never gets booted into windows so it doesn't matter. Also I've never used wine and never plan to, the point of Linux isn't to run Windows programs it to run programs built for the system.

Also using pure Linux doesn't mean anything and there is nothing wrong with using windows, especially win7. It is very nice, and works really well I don't see why so many people complain about Microsoft. ya know Bill Gates gives a crap load of his money to charity right? And he can't help that he has made a product that has become standard for every PC.

gnomeuser
March 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM
My desktop and my netbook run Ubuntu, but my phone runs Maemo.

Chazterry
March 30th, 2010, 11:17 PM
No way can you go 100% Ubuntu.
The only thing you can do is send email
NO DVD or any other video to play
I have installed Mplayer ogle etc
ogle just won't install something about it is too old and not available
The browser a POS typing in any field is a hassle.
The forums are of no use
The support here is worse then Apple.

Granny_Geek
March 30th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I am definitely a Linux Lady:) I keep Windows around 4 those few things that either don't or won't run properly in Linux. Windows bores me, it simply doesn't have the functionality of Linux out of the box and I have to pay 4 programs to do what Linux does 4 free and it still doesn't match up! On my Desktop I use Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Linux Mint. On my Laptop I use Windows Vista and Ubuntu in a Wubi install. I am so tempted to erase Windows right now:p

NightwishFan
March 30th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I switched from Debian to Ubuntu after some usability and performance experiments. Right now I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I do not dual boot, I see no point to it. If I would require Windows for anything I would just use Windows.

Granny_Geek
March 30th, 2010, 11:23 PM
@Chazterry You can if you choose, you just have to learn how to get those things working, once you do, you will find it easy to use, Ubuntu is getting easier to use all the time.

wojox
March 30th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop
Ubuntu 9.10 Server
Fedora 12 Laptop

oldsoundguy
March 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
3 straight ahead Ubuntu machines
1 Mint machine (an old and slow)
1 Mythbuntu machine (a PVR that still does not work correctly .. but works.)
2 Windows XP machines (never go on line except for updates)(used to view instructional video, sync iPaq pocket PC's and for Photography and other Adobe programs.)

each room has KVM set up .. two with Ubuntu/Windows sharing and one with Ubuntu/Mint sharing.

NO DUAL BOOT FOOLISHNESS!
All machines networked with 6 printers in 3 different rooms

nothingspecial
March 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
No way can you go 100% Ubuntu.
The only thing you can do is send email
NO DVD or any other video to play
I have installed Mplayer ogle etc
ogle just won't install something about it is too old and not available
The browser a POS typing in any field is a hassle.
The forums are of no use
The support here is worse then Apple.

That`s why I don`t use windows.

Do you have a specific problem btw or are you one those that hide under the bridge and listen for a trip....trap......?

JamezQ
March 30th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I have used only ubuntu for about a year now.

Now, I try other OS's all for fun. But honestly ubuntu is the only os I can really "use", meaning be productive on.

RandomJoe
March 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Until last September, I was Linux-only for over 10 years. Used a variety of distros, Slackware being the long-time all-round favorite with Ubuntu on the desktop for the last few years.

But last September I bought a Macbook Pro and found I liked OS X. I do have Ubuntu in a VM on the Mac, though. Best of both worlds, I can run them simultaneously. But I like the way OS X works with the hardware better than Ubuntu so OS X is the host.

Everything else is still Linux-only, although Ubuntu's share is waning. Still have UNR on the netbook, and (IIRC) 9.04 on the MythTV box, but all the rest are running Debian now. Just been frustrated by a few things in the last couple releases whereas Debian Just Worked in the same settings.

I do have a copy of Windows in a VM, but it is only for a few ham radios and scanners that require windows-only software to program. It gets run a couple times per year if it's lucky! :p

steveneddy
March 30th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I use Intrepid as the main OS, have Lucid, Vista and 7 on VM with VirtualBox.

But Intrepid is the main OS.

I will upgrade to Lucid when the final released.

jimbop99
March 30th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I just installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago and am enjoying it but must keep XP in a dual boot system for the wifes sake. So far the only thing stopping me from totally switching over is my scanner......oh and my WIFE!

ubunterooster
March 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu, all on one partition.

I still have my Vista drive but the last time I even touched it was....October.