PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn off the ###p videos from youtube?

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
As said here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=66ab45eaf4099afe&hl=en

I don't want to add a &fmt=## option to a video every time I view one, because sometimes my browser hangs too much, and I can't edit the URL.

themusicalduck
March 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
So you want the video to default to low quality? Not sure what you mean by "turn off the ###p".

If that is what you mean, then to do that, go to your account settings on youtube and then click on Playback Setup. You can set it to only use low quality from there.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
So you want the video to default to low quality? Not sure what you mean by "turn off the ###p".

If that is what you mean, then to do that, go to your account settings on youtube and then click on Playback Setup. You can set it to only use low quality from there.

Perma force ALL videos to be low-quality...

INCLUDING THIS ONE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVB9K9jQAU

This video shows in HQ no matter what (360p.) I want it in non-###p mode.

themusicalduck
March 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Ahh. I might be mistaken but I don't think you can watch videos in a quality lower than 360p.. I think 360p has always been low quality on Youtube, the only difference now is that it tells you it is 360p rather than it saying "LQ" or just not saying the quality at all like it used to. 480p = high quality and 720 = HD.

If you're browser is hanging a lot, then there might be a problem with either flash, your browser or your graphics drivers. It might be better to try and fix that instead (unless your PC is just really old and underpowered).

How did you install flash? What graphics card do you have and what browser do you use and what version of Ubuntu?

Also, installing the addon Flashblock might be useful to you. It stops flash applets loading until you click on them, so it won't slow your browser down straight away.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Ahh. I might be mistaken but I don't think you can watch videos in a quality lower than 360p.. I think 360p has always been low quality on Youtube, the only difference now is that it tells you it is 360p rather than it saying "LQ" or just not saying the quality at all like it used to. 480p = high quality and 720 = HD.

If you're browser is hanging a lot, then there might be a problem with either flash, your browser or your graphics drivers. It might be better to try and fix that instead (unless your PC is just really old and underpowered).

How did you install flash? What graphics card do you have and what browser do you use and what version of Ubuntu?

Also, installing the addon Flashblock might be useful to you. It stops flash applets loading until you click on them, so it won't slow your browser down straight away.

I'm not using ubuntu, I'm using debian. I added the contrib to the repo to install flashplugin-nonfree.

My browser is Midori 0.2.4 (identified as Safari.) Uses Webkit 1.1.22 I think or whatever.

My graphics card is as follows:
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 (Mobility FireGL 9000) (128 MB of Memory (32 bit prefetchable))

kernel Module: radeonfb

My processor is worse though: Pentium M 1.60 GHz (Single-core, NO LOGICAL CORES.)

Also, I have an edited /etc/hosts list to block unwanted ads, sorry, but I don't care for blocking anything but ads.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Just got another answer back, and since there is no actual way to do it...

@ /etc/hosts
++ 127.0.0.1 youtube.com