PDA

View Full Version : I have finally done it...... :)

bigsmitty64
March 29th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I made the move today, I officially stripped my machine of Windows :) I decided after having 9.10 for a few months 10.04 beta 1 for a while now, its time. Regardless of the fact that this 10.04 is only beta, I see and LOVE where this is going. I'm going to stick it out. The only thing that has been holding me back is Photoshop, but ya know what? I learned photoshop, I can learn Gimp. I know its been removed (why?) but its still out there readily available.
That and the iPhone, which is coming of age around here also.I have itunes on an old laptop (with xp) that I'll use until the official 10.04 is here. I love this os, and am ready to jump on full bore. I have a lot to learn, but I am ready. Thanks for all the awesome support around here, you guys and gals are amazing. I'll be here alot more probably! hahaha!
Smitty

_h_
March 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Photoshop works in both Wine and Virtualbox/OSE. ;)

Shpongle
March 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Good to hear your enjoying it :-) , you can always use xp or something in virtual box if there are windows essential apps you need , in most cases the free open source alternatives have much more functionality.

all the best

Dill

thekanuk
March 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I made the move today, I officially stripped my machine of Windows :) I decided after having 9.10 for a few months 10.04 beta 1 for a while now, its time. Regardless of the fact that this 10.04 is only beta, I see and LOVE where this is going. I'm going to stick it out. The only thing that has been holding me back is Photoshop, but ya know what? I learned photoshop, I can learn Gimp. I know its been removed (why?) but its still out there readily available.
That and the iPhone, which is coming of age around here also.I have itunes on an old laptop (with xp) that I'll use until the official 10.04 is here. I love this os, and am ready to jump on full bore. I have a lot to learn, but I am ready. Thanks for all the awesome support around here, you guys and gals are amazing. I'll be here alot more probably! hahaha!
Smitty

I have also completely changed over to 9.10 on two machines. Like yourself, I had a great need for Photoshop. I used Photoshop for up to 12 hours a day... I have been able to successfully use Gimp for all of my design needs. It has been a more than satisfactory replacement...

Switching over to this OS has refreshed my love for computers, and given me a new sense of freedom. :D

forrestcupp
March 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I know its been removed (why?) but its still out there readily available.It has only been removed from the installation CD. It's still in the official repos, so it will be just as easy to install as all the other popular things people install after a default installation.

Photoshop works in both Wine and Virtualbox/OSE. ;)
The newest version doesn't work in Wine.

murderslastcrow
March 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hey dude, I can help you get Photoshop running. And if you've been buying music through iTunes, I can help point you to where you need to go to 'migrate' those files over. Also, with the Ubuntu One music store and other available services, and the iPhone support in Lucid Lynx, you should be able to replace iTunes entirely.

If you need to get new official iPhone apps, though, you can always install Virtualbox and get them through there occasionally.

I'm totally willing to point you in the right direction to make the change as comfortable as possible for you. But yes, it would be a very good idea to learn GIMP, since it has a lot of features Photoshop doesn't, and it'll have an optional single-window mode available later this year anyway.

It's totally worth it if you can do all your stuff and keep it well integrated. I'm lucky that all my prior programs work in Wine, but I really should also switch to open source tools since they offer more. It's just a matter of learning (for me it's actually a difficult process, since I need to learn Blender in the place of Cinema 4D and 3ds Max, but it actually offers me much more tools than either of those proprietary ones).

Switching to GIMP really isn't that different. The only big difference I can see it is that you can't set bevel, glow, or shadows on individual layers like in Photoshop. But I think there are some scripts/plugins for that anyway.

reyfer
March 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I made the move today, I officially stripped my machine of Windows :) I decided after having 9.10 for a few months 10.04 beta 1 for a while now, its time........
Smitty

Welcome!!!! I did the switch 4 years ago, and never looked back.

murderslastcrow
March 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Four years, eh? I think I've gone about 2 years or something. It's hard to keep track (really easy, actually, since I remember starting with Intrepid Ibex, so not even two years). So much has happened that I thought it was FOREVER. Wow. Just look at how fast things change in open source.

_h_
March 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM

I still use PS7, which is probably why. :O

bigsmitty64
March 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Thats what I'm talking about right there, I love the community, and the willingness to help one another out.

@ _h_
I could never make CS4 Extended work in wine. I really haven't had much good luck in wine period, but it doesn't even bother me. I am willing to try the alternatives.

@ thekanuk
"Switching over to this OS has refreshed my love for computers, and given me a new sense of freedom."
I'm with ya there bud!

@murderslastcrow
I'll be sure to look you up in the future if I decide to do that.

The only thing I have really got to figure out, (and I had this in 9.10 64 bit as well) is flash. I installed the tar.gz file through terminal, but it never worked so, I installed it through synaptic and it works in youtube but I can't use the volume or slider in the video. I know it's kinda still a mess in 64 bit though right? I could go 32 bit in the final release I suppose. Someone was helping me in another thread with it but, I never really got it working until I went through synaptic. At least I can watch vids. Thanks for all the replies!
Smitty

murderslastcrow
March 30th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I'm guessing that 'not able to change the volume' thing is this bug they have in 64-bit where you can't click more than once on a flash applet. Here's how to fix it.

http://astoryworthtelling.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/cant-click-in-flash-using-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-try-this/

You can also type gksu nautilus in the run dialog (Alt+F2), or from a terminal, but if you type the sudo gedit command they refer you to into the terminal it should let you paste that on the second to last line of the file. After that, just close your browser, open it back up, and click away!

If that's not the issue you're referring to, I've never heard of JUST the volume control not working. Hrm.

J_Stanton
March 30th, 2010, 12:47 AM
The only thing I have really got to figure out, (and I had this in 9.10 64 bit as well) is flash.

remove the flash you have and get the 64bit flash tar.gz file. right click and extract it and put the libflashplayer.so file into /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins restart firefox. works perfect for me.

_h_
March 30th, 2010, 12:51 AM
The only thing I have really got to figure out, (and I had this in 9.10 64 bit as well) is flash.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8982915&postcount=7

:popcorn:

bigsmitty64
March 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM
@J_Stanton
"remove the flash you have and get the 64bit flash tar.gz file. right click and extract it and put the libflashplayer.so file into /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins restart firefox. works perfect for me."

I did that first, and it didn't happen for me. The file shows in the mozilla plugins folder too, but it didn't work.

@_h_ (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1033713)
Ok, you got 64bit ubuntu. Adobe has an alpha version of 64bit flash in their labs, which you can download here:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l...6_64.so.tar.gz (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.32.18.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz)

Extract it to a folder something like /home/username/Downloads

Now open a terminal and run this command:

sudo mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins

Which will create a plugins folder, and then run this command:

sudo cp /path/to/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

Which will copy the libflashplayer.so from whatever directory you extracted it to your mozilla plugins folder which was created.

After that restart firefox and to see if you have a successful copy, goto Tools -> Addons -> Plugins and you should see a Shockwave Flash listed there as version 10.0 r32."

I end up with 10.0 R45 ?

kgarbutt
March 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I made the switch I while go too. I even made the switch on my work computer as well. When I do need Windows, I run it in vitrualbox which is an amazing program. Keeping using Linux.

JDShu
March 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Haha nice, after a while you realize you never boot into Windows, so might as well not waste the hard disk space.

thekanuk
March 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
haha nice, after a while you realize you never boot into windows, so might as well not waste the hard disk space.

+1 ;)

bigsmitty64
March 30th, 2010, 01:23 AM
@murderslastcrow (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=706905)
That worked! Thanks man!

yester64
March 30th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Thats what I'm talking about right there, I love the community, and the willingness to help one another out.

@ _h_
I could never make CS4 Extended work in wine. I really haven't had much good luck in wine period, but it doesn't even bother me. I am willing to try the alternatives.

@ thekanuk
"Switching over to this OS has refreshed my love for computers, and given me a new sense of freedom."
I'm with ya there bud!

@murderslastcrow
I'll be sure to look you up in the future if I decide to do that.

The only thing I have really got to figure out, (and I had this in 9.10 64 bit as well) is flash. I installed the tar.gz file through terminal, but it never worked so, I installed it through synaptic and it works in youtube but I can't use the volume or slider in the video. I know it's kinda still a mess in 64 bit though right? I could go 32 bit in the final release I suppose. Someone was helping me in another thread with it but, I never really got it working until I went through synaptic. At least I can watch vids. Thanks for all the replies!
Smitty

As far as flash goes, it does work for me well.
The only problem is, that from time to time it does not work and i need to reinstall it. After that it works again. Not sure if that has something to do with updates.
I also have 64bit version running and i patiently waiting for Lucid to arrive. :)

bigsmitty64
March 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I rread a post on here somewhere (forget where) that said "10.04 64 BIT" is still alpha3 ? is that true? when I downloaded this: http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ it def said 10.04 Lucid 64 bit beta 1

murderslastcrow
March 30th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Nope, it's in Beta 1. Believe the source on the official website- there are a lot of tech-savvy people who report on Ubuntu and call it 10.4 instead of 10.04, Lucid Linux instead of Lucid Lynx- it's all just misinformation. You're using the Beta.

bigsmitty64
March 30th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Ya, there is a lot of mis information in ANY forum setting. I learned that a long time ago. But just thought I'd check. I did get it from the official sight so, I pretty much DO indeed go with that.

murderslastcrow
March 31st, 2010, 05:04 AM
Did you manage to get the volume issue in Flash fixed, by the way? XD

k33bz
March 31st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Cograts on the full crossover, dont forget to spread the word :)

Dayofswords
March 31st, 2010, 06:56 AM
i use ubuntu 80-90% of the time on my laptop

i have one desktop dual-booting ubuntu, i have the wrong ram in it(have too little ram without) and it's a thin client kind of thing
and i have 2 windows only (family computers)

i cant dual boot either cuz of
1. family cant handle choosing an os (mom)
2. wont let me (bro)
3. space on disk (one dont have enough to make a new decent spaced partition)
4. dual boot issue (other one cant dual boot... no idea why, just get an an error on choosing ubuntu, but windows is fine, it is from 2000, but i can physical switch to a hdd with ubuntu on it)

i'm on one of those desktop windows pc's right now, i'd rather be on ubuntu though

bigsmitty64
March 31st, 2010, 08:41 AM
Did you manage to get the volume issue in Flash fixed, by the way? XD

yes I did, using this:

http://astoryworthtelling.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/cant-click-in-flash-using-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-try-this/

bigsmitty64
March 31st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Cograts on the full crossover, dont forget to spread the word :)

Thanks! I spread the word daily believe me! I have one buddy in particular who is a Windows FREAK! I mean FANBOY central. He always gives me a hard time saying windows is so much more secure! He's clearly insane hahaha!

seenthelite
March 31st, 2010, 10:00 AM
10.04 Beta 1, Synaptic Package Manager, flashplugin64-installer.

murderslastcrow
March 31st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Lucid has 64-bit Flash as an installable package, now? SWEET.

Oh, that's the link I referenced- good to see everything's running smoothly. And Dayofswords, I know what you mean. I'm actually lucky enough that my family uses only Macs and Linux for now, and they have no complaints whatsoever. Wine is actually better than people think it is.

Also, one of my brothers with the Mac is thinking of switching the Mac itself to Ubuntu now that iPod Touch integration is available in Lucid, so who knows how many other Mac users have switched later on? XD

Linux isn't the perfect solution for everyone, but for most people, a dual-boot at least is a very good idea. No reason anyone should have to go all-out with any OS when they could have multiple.

sandyd
March 31st, 2010, 08:48 PM
It has only been removed from the installation CD. It's still in the official repos, so it will be just as easy to install as all the other popular things people install after a default installation.

cs4 works, depending on how much work you wanna do. downgrading to a earlier dev version isnt that much work IMO.

KdotJ
April 1st, 2010, 12:39 AM
I still haven't made 'the switch'...yet anyway. I dual-boot on my laptop and I hardly ever boot into Window. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu/Linux and just keeping Windows for 'safety' I guess as That's all I had ever used before.

I'm dual-booting with Windows 7 64bit which I didn't pay for (no I didn't steal it lol), I got a free copy from my university as they are part of the MSDN Academy Alliance programme. However, once I finish my course and am no longer a registered student at my university, I will no longer receive Windows Updates.... so that will most likely be the day, and I won't pay for a Windows OS after that.

Over the recent months I have installed numerous Distros to give them a spin, each time I have shrunk the size of my Windows partition. Now it is rather small and will just sit there when (or if) it is needed.

sandyd
April 1st, 2010, 02:41 AM
thankyou. thankyou. thankyou.

now I dont need to keep on watching for new dev releases of flash :)

bigsmitty64
April 1st, 2010, 07:03 AM
Synaptic didn't find that. Only flashplugin-installer

ElSlunko
April 1st, 2010, 08:44 AM
+1 for GIMP. Very good program, used it for my latest set.

PsychoDevon
April 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
The only big difference I can see it is that you can't set bevel, glow, or shadows on individual layers like in Photoshop. But I think there are some scripts/plugins for that anyway.

Yes, you can, with a plugin called Script-Fu